• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

My 3/4" solid marine holly/teak sole going in this week >>>

JSM

Member III
Any tips on the best way to make templates for the replacement boards?
When I did mine I went to an art supply house and bought a roll of clear stiff plastic film. I rolled a sheet of film out over each board tacked it in place and then used an Xacto knife to cut around the edges. With the film still tacked in place I used a sharpie pen to mark the location of each holly line and screw hole.
When it was time to cut the pieces I laid the patterns out on the sheets of ply so that the holly lines on the patterns lined up with the lines on the ply.
Once all of the patterns were arranged on the plywood sheets I put down a length of painters tape under the edge of each pattern and carefully transferred the outline of each pattern to the tape and went to work with the circular saw. The tape will help the veneer from chipping out when being cut.
Using this method all of the holly lines lined up perfectly.

Attachments

• Mast collar.jpg
    Mast collar.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 35
  • new cabin sole.jpg
    new cabin sole.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 35

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I may be joining the club soon, but for anyone who has his/her floorboards up it would be great if you could share pictures of the TAFG bays under the wood for 'general documentation' for other boat owners.

One benefit is understanding the layout of the cells for a particular model. For running bilges and wires etc.

The other would be understanding the TAFG construction particular to your model.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I may be joining the club soon, but for anyone who has his/her floorboards up it would be great if you could share pictures of the TAFG bays under the wood for 'general documentation' for other boat owners.

One benefit is understanding the layout of the cells for a particular model. For running bilges and wires etc.

The other would be understanding the TAFG construction particular to your model.
Tom: Post #28 for my E35-3

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I’m at the trying to decide when enough is enough stage. Thirteen coats and still not perfect but the kids say it’s good enough and the first time the dog scrambles below decks I’m hosed anyway. One more coat? But I’d need another can. But then I’d have spare because everything else inside is going to look like hell next to this but then...but then...
B2030716-2490-42DC-8F2A-CE97290D2280.jpeg

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Aylwin....Your sole sections look incredible!!! I may be incorrect, but too many coats of varnish may increase the possibility of deep scratches...may be wrong (usually am)...but the way yours looks...who cares!!! Magnificent! And the matching knots make it even better and 3D! WOOOW!

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Filkee: Are you going to put those over 1/2" or 3/4" marine ply??? As the O/P, I think you are a better woodworker than my bud who is helping me with my sole... and he is a professional who restores Chris Craft runabouts!!!

Filkee

Sustaining Member
the Filkee: Are you going to put those over 1/2" or 3/4" marine ply??? As the O/P, I think you are a better woodworker than my bud who is helping me with my sole... and he is a professional who restores Chris Craft runabouts!!!
I’m a total hack. My dad built wooden boats but died before he could teach me anything. The 1/4” goes right on the TAFG and the bilge holes are filled with 1/2” ply that I epoxied to the teak. Christian has some shots of his in another thread or maybe earlier in this one image.jpg

clayton

Member III
So is it the fumes you’re enjoying? Cuz varnishes & solvents smell yummy. Or is it that when you look at a different angle in a different light you see a tiny imperfection you’ll never see once it is installed. I went through this recently with a custom mantle I made for a customer, it’s what happens when it’s 6 inches from your eyes. Step back a couple of feet and it’s beautiful. It does however help give the “I can’t control anything “ angst some outlet...

Filkee

Sustaining Member
It’s the latter and there were a whole eight bubbles on the last coat. On the bright side, I finished the can tonight. Now I just need to paint the bilge.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Filkee..You are a month ahead of me!!!!

Attachments

• 986AC6D8-9FCB-4622-9419-079CAFB50CC1.jpeg
    986AC6D8-9FCB-4622-9419-079CAFB50CC1.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 14

1911tex

Sustaining Member
It will take me another month to get my boat as clean as yours.
You have 8 coats of varnish before you put your sole down!!! My sole is varnish-less and 75% installed...still have almost all the edge moulding to install. The word "clean" is relative...depends on whose relative! Oh my sole!!!

Interesting...March 26 Kiplinger Financial Report:
"Also in short supply: Recreational vehicles and boats. Bumper demand
from consumers looking to spend more time outside instead of traveling by plane, plus constrained production lines, point to higher prices. Inventories of RVs are down from a third to a half of normal levels. Boats...down 20% to 60%, depending on type."