• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mystery Hose in engine compartment, and oil question

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
As we look forward to our first winterization on our 'new' E35-3, I'm wondering what this hose might be. I can't make out where it goes under the engine.
mystery engine hose.jpg

Also, we're in RI. What kind of oil (weight? synthetic?) would you recommend for our Universal M-25?
Thanks,
Jeff

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
I use Shell Rotella T6 15-40W oil.
I agree it may be an oil sump drain hose. Ours is on the Starboard side in front of the engine. It has a garden hose connector on it. I installed the other half to our oil removal pump and it works great.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Thanks everyone. I got back to the boat today, followed the hose, and it does indeed lead to the oil sump on the engine. Oddly, the drain is toward the front which, because of the tilt of the engine, is not at the lowest part of the pan. It looks like that could hold 1/4-1/2 a quart. I wonder if it's worth getting a thinner hose to snake in and go after that last little bit.
Incidentally, when the survey was done in July we had the oil analyzed and it was in quite good shape.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
You can also change the oil by putting a narrow tube down the dipstick tube and sucking the oil out - perhaps that will get more out than via the sump drain?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I looked up a picture of an M25 diesel, on line, and the fitting for the dipstick is low down and on the side of the pan. Located about midway between front and rear. And, that looks like the pan on our former M25XP.

The hose that was fitted for oil withdrawal/changes later (optional until it was incorporated into all of the M25XP engines partway thru that model run) does replace the drain plug with a banjo plug fitting.
On our former '88 M25XP, that hose had been retrofitted by the prior owner. Due to leaks around the banjo fitting, I did have to replace the special washer on the fitting.
I used to put the thin end of the suction tube down that hose and could always suck out approx. one gallon of old oil. Then I would add one gallon of new oil. All in all, a pretty good system.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Also pumps like this work work well for oil:
(or the 'LiquiVac brand).
They're more compact (2 sizes) and a bit cheaper than the WM one, but if you ever suck water with this alternate design (e.g., bilges), the mechanism rusts and then it's useless.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Yeah - what the others said. You'll be glad you have it. Get the engine nice and warm and all the oil will come right out...

vasuvius

Member II
Yep looks like Oil drain hose. I did my first oil change on the M-12 motor a couple days ago. Ran the motor for 25 mins. Let cool for 20 minutes.
The hose setup on my boat is interesting - there's a smaller inner hose inside a bigger garden hose. The suction pump (Jabsco brass pump) fits on the smaller hose - 2 pumps and the oil started flowing. Pulled out 1.75 qts. Changed the filter and added the same amount. I used Shell Rotella 15-40.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Vasu,

The outer garden hose is just a chafe guard for the inner hose. I did the same thing when I installed my drain pickup hose. If you chafe a hole in the drain hose you could lose all your oil, possibly do some engine damage if not noticed and have a mess to clean up.

Mark

vasuvius

Member II
Vasu,

The outer garden hose is just a chafe guard for the inner hose. I did the same thing when I installed my drain pickup hose. If you chafe a hole in the drain hose you could lose all your oil, possibly do some engine damage if not noticed and have a mess to clean up.

Mark
Mark - Thank you for explaining. How often do you replace the drain pickup hose? or remove the chafe guard to check the drain pickup hose ?

markvone

Sustaining Member
I installed mine around 5-7 years ago so I haven't done anything else yet. I just run my hand over the length of the hoses to the banjo fitting on the oil pan every time I change the oil. I DID have a slight oil leak when the banjo fitting holding the hose to the oil pan loosened a few years back. There shouldn't be too many things under the engine for the hose to rub on but where it comes up around the edge of the oil pan and where it's routed from there should be kept free from rubs. I wouldn't expect any issues. The extra outer hose is just cheap insurance.

Mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also, note that there is a special type of washer sealing that banjo fitting to the pan. It's called a bonded washer.
I also used one to totally seal a seepage in the drain plug under our old Hurth trans.