• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

National Ericson Owners Association

Tom Plummer

Member III
95 of us responded to the poll on the National Ericson Owners Association and just over 75% of us indicated that we wanted to form a National Ericson Owners Association.

I would think that now is the time to start the association before we all go sailing. The one reoccurring reason I saw for having an association was to keep this site up and running. To do that we will need some sort of dues and if we collect dues we will need a Charter or Bylaws and then some officers.

I propose that we use this thread to form the association and write the bylaws.

chrism

Inactive Member
I think that a club organized into todays world should be based online 100%. Monthly meetings in a chat room, etc.

Here is a quick draft of what I think... feel free to completly disregard it if you see fit.

I also think that all the Ericson clubs in the US should be a member of the national club, making membership of the national organization limited to area clubs only. Owners could then join their local club.

I think that in the begining, all dues should be paid directly to the national organization. The organization should not sponser any events until it has the funds to support itself (website hosting) for two years.

After the funds for two years of operation have been secured, the organization should establish an "advertising committee" which could research the amount of traffic that the site gets and what companies would be interested in advertising on the EYOA site and the contact them. Many companies the made/make parts for the Ericsons could be interested.. Raritan, Edson,Ronco Plastics etc.

If it is agreed that enough money could be made through advertising every year (maybe 150% of the site costs) then the dues for the following year would go to the member clubs. The money made through dues would be kept in the bank account of either the national org. or the local organization. This should be decided upon later.

A portion of the money made from dues should go to the national org. for the purpose of helping to run the club. The rest of the money should go towards the annual rendezvous. The party could be partially funded with this money, a race etc.

The committee that runs the national club and the local clubs should be structured like that of a yacht club; Commodore, Vice-Commodore, Treasurer, and Secretary.

Thats all I have for now. I will draft my own ideas of the bylaws tonight.

Once again, I am just writing this because I have the time to do so. Let me know what you think about my ideas!

Respectfully Submitted,

Chris Matthews

chrism

Inactive Member
I am having a good time doing this, so everyone give a read to what I've done so far and critique it. I am 99.99% sure that this document will not by used, but hopefully if we all work together we can turn this into something that can be reffered to when the final draft is created.

Does that make sense? Hope so.

Chris

Attachments

• EYOAbylaws.pdf
    8.7 KB · Views: 160

soup1438

Member II
Meetings... or not...

I've not read the PDF yet, but something said up-front earlier in the thread got to me.

I agree that face-to-face meetings are, well, unlikely at best; I doubt that many of us here have much of an opportunity to travel.

That being said...

Perhaps we need *real* pics attached to our postings.

Perhaps instead of an in corpus meeting we can get some kind of conference bridge and arrange telephone meetings (I've no idea how expensive a toll-free bridge would be, I just get more experience than I want to working in a big corporation) as a conference call. It'd sure beat the "confurnace calls" I end up in at work.

Part of the problem I see is getting people engaged and talking to each other. Like in the Tampa/StPete area it'd be nice to meet others w/ Ericsons for lunch sometimes.

Hmmmmm...

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
EYOA Formation, etc.

Actually, I've already set up the admin forums - for both the committee and the technical groups. They're on this board as we speak - you just cannot see them unless you're in that membership group (hidden from the general membership to facilitate discussion, etc).

There is also already a mechanism for paid subscriptions (via PayPal - as much as I hate to admit - an effective mechanism) to this board (for posting only - searching for info would still be free) and I've been talking to developer friends of mine who are pretty talented about the owner's registry (probably still free in the future) and the documents section (probably not free in the future). After looking at costs, etc - I think we can get away with pretty cheap dues - like $15 a year or something like that.

I've got final exams in two weeks - and have been working on this already (I've redirected the old URL just now and am about to send Gene the credentials for it).

I'll take a look at your pdf and then we can start chatting about all this on the 17th...

//sse

ps: By the way - you have the ability to put an image of yourself on your profile - seperate from your avatar. Go to your User CP, and then 'Edit Profile Picture', etc. If you click on my name above, then 'view public profile' you can see the image I've added...

One of the things that will have to be looked at is the amount of info people are putting on their profiles - and the decision about what the minimum is (like boat model, city/state, etc).

Look for some movement starting March 17th...I've got to get back to what I was doing now...

soup1438

Member II
Picture in Profile?

Sean Engle said:
By the way - you have the ability to put an image of yourself on your profile - seperate from your avatar. Go to your User CP, and then 'Edit Profile Picture', etc. If you click on my name above, then 'view public profile' you can see the image I've added...

Y'know, Sean, I'm not seeing anything like that. Whatever the path is, it's not immediately obvious to the eye. (Just barely manages to avoid the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy routine about things being "on display".)

(shrugs)

I must be getting senile.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
soup1438 said:
Y'know, Sean, I'm not seeing anything like that. Whatever the path is, it's not immediately obvious to the eye. (Just barely manages to avoid the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy routine about things being "on display".)

(shrugs)

I must be getting senile.

No, it's probably just a permissions thing again. I'll take a look and get back to you...

//sse

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Sean - March 17th I will be otherwise occupied, if you are finishing your exams, I expect you will be too....
Ireland may be playing Wales for the Grand Slam on the 18th, to keep the party going, no matter who wins (it's a Celtic tradition).

But from, say, the 19th, let me know if I can help out at all, I am a full time self employed Ericson repair mechanic right now, so have a little bit of time.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
More on this...

Ok - finals are past (thank goodness)...

We're in the midst of reviewing membership roles and activity right now - and will be coming up with a list of people we'll want to contact on the initial membership of the steering committee. These will be drawn mostly from the existing list of membership and letters of interest - judged on past activity with the site, etc.

Once we do that, we'll start contacting people and put an intial group together from there.

For those of you who are interested in being involved, but have not indicated so as of this point, please email me at ssengle@worldnet.att.net and let me know. If you don't hear back from me immedaitely, don't be surprised - I've got involved family obligations coming up in the next week, so I'll be in and out...

Thanks,
//sse