• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Nautical lamps

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I have seen antique nautical style fuel burning lamps ( in bronze or brass ) . I have electric LED lights throughout but it would be kind of cool to have one of these on the boat . Does anyone know where to get one ? I went to a used consignment marine hardware store in alameda but couldn’t find one .

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I had a "Trawler lamp/lantern" over the saloon table on Thelonious, which was very high class. And at sea it fell on my head. Many available from usual sources.

This boat has gimballed Weems and Plath bulkhead-mount oil lamps, which I'm glad I didn't have to pay for, put out as much heat as light, and lend a sort of something or other to the ambiance which I have learnt to like. They need polishing, but real brass is its own reward. Also, when the engine is on, they can rattle.

bookshelf and compass vertical.JPG...E38 bookcase close.JPG

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
that’s exactly what I’m looking for . I can imagine having dinner onboard with the kids and the oil lamp goes on after sundown. My little granddaughter has probably never seen one .

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I bought one of these from Vermont Lanterns several years ago and liked it so much that now I keep two of them.

20180326_152450.jpg

Sometimes I hang one from the end of the boom at night for cockpit mood lighting.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I love the look of our smaller, gimballed Atlantic brass lamp. Although I have filled out with "smokeless" kerosene, it still smells a bit when burning. I have no idea what pollutants that may contain, so I always keep the cabin well vented, especially when the grandkids are on board.
Frank

kapnkd

kapnkd
Bought this one for our boat back in ‘73 as a way to conserve batteries when cruising ...plus loved the traditional brass looks.

Not sure who it was made by back then, but it’s still going strong as ever yet today.

...I’ve recently added a Teak piece as a backing. (This way I can easily remove both the lamp and smoke bell in the wintertime for my man-cave decor and better keep it from tarnishing.)

I’m also having a small plate inscribed with the boats name, year built, “E” logo and hull number for the center banded area to finish it all off.

B2BE1081-73D6-404A-969D-D70C1A4A268C.jpeg
DD6AD658-F49A-41A3-BC31-8C7BC1548580.jpeg

(Did the same with my brass ship’s clock for home use.)
AD626371-CB7F-4D97-9C50-27A4A3C3F633.jpeg

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Thanks for your suggestions. The gimbaled Weems and Plath that Christian has looks pretty functional and is readily available from a number of vendors ( including direct from manufacturer on Amazon ) . It’s not cheap - about 200 for the lamp and 80 for the gimbal mount. Still 280 is not that bad considering the cost of other “boat stuff”. My wife and I could have a lamplight dinner on the boat . Maybe I could talk her into it for a birthday present.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thanks for your suggestions. The gimbaled Weems and Plath that Christian has looks pretty functional and is readily available from a number of vendors ( including direct from manufacturer on Amazon ) . It’s not cheap - about 200 for the lamp and 80 for the gimbal mount. Still 280 is not that bad considering the cost of other “boat stuff”. My wife and I could have a lamplight dinner on the boat . Maybe I could talk her into it for a birthday present.

INDEED!!! (From personal experiences)
...Being young and single again between ‘76 to ‘80, I had many a very romantic evening onboard.

Got to say! ...That traditional brass oil lamp DEFINITELY helped set the mood! You’re on the right track!! ;-)))