• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Navigation Lights rewire

Sailhound

Member II
I have a 32-2 and am replacing existing wiring. It appears the original wiring is sandwiched between deck layers and completely inaccessible. Is this the case? I am planning on running a pvc conduit from stem to stern,but would love to hear other ideas before I start work. Thanks!

wynkoop

Member III
On my E27 all the wires run in the void on the port side above the shelves behind the trim panel. I can see no advantage to running conduit through that void.

wynkoop

Member III
Another point is that wire insulation can become brittle over time and crack and drop off. I am dealing with that now on Silver Maiden, which is why I will be rewiring her sometime this summer. If you are having insulation breakdown it is much harder to see that if the wires are enclosed in a conduit rather than just run inside the raceway behind along the side of the boat.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Some good points all around, but I would add this: None of us are likely to ever have to fully re-wire our boats a second time. Whether you run new wire behind cabinets and headliners, or through conduit, it'll be good for another 30 years. If I was running wires in hard-to-access areas where I might want to add-in more wiring later, I'd definitely consider conduit.

Sailhound

Member II
Some good points all around, but I would add this: None of us are likely to ever have to fully re-wire our boats a second time. Whether you run new wire behind cabinets and headliners, or through conduit, it'll be good for another 30 years. If I was running wires in hard-to-access areas where I might want to add-in more wiring later, I'd definitely consider conduit.
Thanks Kenneth.

Sailhound

Member II
On my E27 all the wires run in the void on the port side above the shelves behind the trim panel. I can see no advantage to running conduit through that void.
What is the cleanest way to remove the trim panel without damaging the wood?

wynkoop

Member III
My panel is fastened with screws. I just unscrew all the screws. It helps to have someone to hold it in place until you get the last screw out, but I have done it alone.

wynkoop

Member III
I will also add that on the E-27 there is no place around the boat at the hull/deck joint area is not easy to get to behind the trim panels.

Other boats may be different.

Teranodon

Member III
On my boat, the fittings and wiring were so beat up and unaccessible that I gave up on them. Furthermore, I almost never sail/motor at night. The waters here are full of logs, debris, crab pots, etc. So I bought a couple of Navisafe Navi Lights from Defender. These are battery-powered LEDs. Pushing a button cycles between red - green - red/green - white. These nice-looking, waterproof units attach at the bow and stern with magnets (I modified the existing brackets for this). They conform to regulations in terms of visibility. Normally, the Navi Lights live inside the boat, safe and dry. The truth is, I've never used them.

Sailhound

Member II
Do you have a picture of how the panel is fastened?
I removed the cove molding from the port side, pried open the boards and I see no evidence of a wiring harness.
On my boat, the fittings and wiring were so beat up and unaccessible that I gave up on them. Furthermore, I almost never sail/motor at night. The waters here are full of logs, debris, crab pots, etc. So I bought a couple of Navisafe Navi Lights from Defender. These are battery-powered LEDs. Pushing a button cycles between red - green - red/green - white. These nice-looking, waterproof units attach at the bow and stern with magnets (I modified the existing brackets for this). They conform to regulations in terms of visibility. Normally, the Navi Lights live inside the boat, safe and dry. The truth is, I've never used them.
This sounds like a great plan. But I’m pissed that I have no accessible wiring harness. The whole boat needs to be redone

Attachments

• 40030DE0-7B72-40C8-B519-32431BA1C02C.jpeg
    40030DE0-7B72-40C8-B519-32431BA1C02C.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 22
  • D407469F-7B6E-4934-B4BA-07C89617F91F.jpeg
    D407469F-7B6E-4934-B4BA-07C89617F91F.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 351796ED-7EE0-4691-AA81-7AC61150A97D.jpeg
    351796ED-7EE0-4691-AA81-7AC61150A97D.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 23

wynkoop

Member III
You can drill out the plugs being careful not to destroy the screw then unscrew the panel. When you are finished with the work screw the panels back up and get new plugs from your chandler.

Sailhound

Member II
You can drill out the plugs being careful not to destroy the screw then unscrew the panel. When you are finished with the work screw the panels back up and get new plugs from your chandler.
I pried out enough to look behind and I didn’t see wiring. I don’t want to trash this beautiful old woodwork. I’m going to run conduit on starboard underneath the shelving

Michael Edwards

Member II
You might try using the existing wire as a a messenger line to pull through strong string. On my boat the wire runs above the headliner.