• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need help IDing refrigeration on '76 E29

reelmanmi

Member I
Hello all, new to sailing (10-16) and working the bugs out of my 1976 E29 (loving the boat & sailing) and could use a hand identifying the refrigerator so I can hopefully get a diagram and a line on replacement parts.
Please see pics and thanks in advance for any assistance.

Attachments

• Boat fridge.jpg
    Boat fridge.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 34
  • Boat fridge 2.jpg
    Boat fridge 2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Boat fridge 3.jpg
    Boat fridge 3.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Boat fridge 4.jpg
    Boat fridge 4.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 33

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What with the T-stat bi-lingual label, might have been built in Canada.
That compressor is unlike anything I have seen.

Does it work?

Sidebar: I have found that once you open up the refrigerant line(s) to these small systems it may not be possible to ever reintroduce the (exact!) proper amount of refrigerant in the future, and make it stay in.

They often work for a decade without a whimper, but when when they do stop cooling, it's a trade-off of expensive repair vs replacement.
I went through this quandary last year with a ten year old system and opted for replacement.

Not part of your question, but the new fridge is quieter and takes very little power; technology has improved a lot over time.

Loren

reelmanmi

Member I
Thanks for the response, Loren. I did a little grubbing around and think what I have is a Norcold ice box conversion unit. I also found some troubleshooting pages so I can hopefully determine if it's worth putting any $ into or do as you mentioned as an option and just go for a new unit.
I'd love to get this one operational cuz I reeeeealy don't want to pull the galley apart.

Thanks again.

reelmanmi

Member I
reelmanmi,
Are you on the river or somewhere in the delta? I see you are from Sacramento.

Hey Grant, yes, we're at Owl Harbor on the Delta Loop off HWY 12 west of Rio Vista. I see you're in Antioch, we like it there too.

Hilary

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I'd love to get this one operational cuz I reeeeealy don't want to pull the galley apart.

Thanks again.

I was kind of impressed and surprised to see the compressor unit squeezed into that little space under the sink. Partly surprised because that's basically the same compartment as the ice box that you're trying to move heat out of. Is there some kind of positive ventilation installed in there? Or is it water cooled?

No offense, but guessing from the snarl of wire and tubing - and the thin-walled below-the-waterline drain hose - shown in the photo, you probably need to re-install that area anyway. (My boat had lots of snarls like that. There are... well, fewer of them now.).

reelmanmi

Member I
No offense taken, toddster. You haven't seen the rest of the "engineering" the PO did. YIPES!

Their is a thin wall of FG between the cooling unit and the ice box and to gain better access to the carb/intake of the Atomic4, the PO has cut a lunch box sized hole in the bulkhead from the compressor compartment to the engine compartment...

Much yet to be done.

reelmanmi

Member I
Thanks for the response, Loren. I did a little grubbing around and think what I have is a Norcold ice box conversion unit. I also found some troubleshooting pages so I can hopefully determine if it's worth putting any $ into or do as you mentioned as an option and just go for a new unit.

Thanks again.
Hi Loren, Yes this is an ancient post, but I finally got 'er figured out. Turns out it's a Norcold SCQT-4407. I ended up cleaning the old on/off/thermostat switch and circuit board and re-soldered the open and questionable connections and the bloody thing started working...very well. In fact it worked too well and wouldn't shut off so I ordered up a manual thermostat and installed in place of the original thermostat this afternoon and she now starts and stops as directed.
Like I said, it's an ancient post, but you and some of the others were a huge help back then I wanted to get back to you and let you know we have a good resolution and I appreciate all the help.
Hopefully I can get up the mast this weekend and swap out that halyard we talked about a couple of weeks ago.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You know you're old when 2017 is considered ancient. I have towels on the floor from 2017 that I haven't picked up yet.

Seriously though, resurrection of existing threads is highly recommended. Means the poster searched and located a relevant prior discussion, which can then be updated and expanded. Keeps discussions centered and findable.

reelmanmi

Member I
Well, Christian Williams in my inbox, how 'bout that. I'm a big fan, Sir. As are a number of my dock mates. Even my bride refers to your dance on the foredeck when she thinks my cheese is slipping off my cracker.

The fridge is still working like a champ.

I still have to get back up the mast to put Lorens advice into play and string a smaller line through the sheaves. I'll try again this weekend.

Thanks again for the support and take care.

Hilary