• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need help tackling leaking Portlights. Where to start?

Hilary

Ericson 1984 E26-2
Hi all. I’m the partner of the owner of a 1984 E26-2 that’s in pretty rough shape. Its maintenance has been neglected for a long time and it has numerous leaks. I’m new to boating but want to try to tackle the Portlight leaks, since 5 of 6 are leaking. Wondering what I should start with. From what I’ve read, it seems I should remove them and do a newspaper test. I’ve attached pictures. Is this a solid plan? (The lines on the glass are just a cling film laid over the windows for privacy in the marina). Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6505.jpeg
    IMG_6505.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6501.jpeg
    IMG_6501.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 16

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Hi all. I’m the partner of the owner of a 1984 E26-2 that’s in pretty rough shape. Its maintenance has been neglected for a long time and it has numerous leaks. I’m new to boating but want to try to tackle the Portlight leaks, since 5 of 6 are leaking. Wondering what I should start with. From what I’ve read, it seems I should remove them and do a newspaper test. I’ve attached pictures. Is this a solid plan? (The lines on the glass are just a cling film laid over the windows for privacy in the marina). Thanks!
There are two seals, one between the glass and frame, and the other between the frame and boat, and both are likely to be leaking in a boat in that has been neglected.

I have found that foam tape is far more effective between the frame and the boat than just a sealant such as 4200.

Years ago I had Wefco rubber fabricate a replacement gasket for the glass to the frame, and the deal was that once I had paid the initial fabrication fee the gasket would be available for ever more; however I cannot remember the serial number nor immediately get hold of some of my stock, so I suggest you contact Wefco and if necessary send a sample of the old gasket to be matched.

Gareth
Freyja
E35 #241 1972

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are quite a few owners who have shared their experiences, and this is a good thread on the topic:

If you use the Search command box on the upper right part of the screen, and type in something like: leaking fixed port, you will get a lot of hits to read thru.
As Gareth points out you need to seal up both the lens in its frame, and also the seal of the frame to the cabin side opening.
Kind of tedious work, but many others have succeeded before. As you take a window out, post up pix to share, here.

klb67pgh

Member III
I successfully removed and rebed the port side fixed portlights on my E25 this winter. A prior prior owner must have reglazed the lenses in the frames because that sealant was in great shape and I saw no evidence of water intrusion there. So my job became a lot easier. When I removed the inner trim ring and pushed out on the window, it pushed away from the hull quite a bit at the top, so the sealants had failed. It was harder to extract the window than I expected-the openings cut in the inner and outer hull were not cut the same and the fit was tight in spots. Removing old sealant wasn't fun. I was glad to have my son inside the boat to install screws while I reinstalled and held the window gooped w new sealant. The small puddle of rainwater I usually found on my galley counter after a rain has yet to appear this season, so I'm calling the port side portlights fixed. Good luck w the project.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Hi @Hilary,

The thread which Loren linked is good. You just have to wade through the first page and more which is primarily about getting new portlights made. But if you hope to use your original portlights, there’s great stuff in there. This link has also been very helpful to me:

I just added a post in that thread on extraction techniques I used. Once you get the portlights out, the other information in these posts will make more sense. As a friend says, it’s an unfolding mystery.

The newspaper test would be a good place to start. We ended up doing a complete rebuild of the fixed portlights. The silicone seal in our fixed ports was definitely leaking in places. The temporary covers that @Bolo made may be in order.

These threads were also helpful.
- https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/tips-for-removing-original-portlights.14575/
- https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/non-opening-portlight-gasket.19794/
- https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/thread...of-four-fixed-ports-on-1975-ericson-25.16261/
- https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/wanted-vinyl-glazing-for-fixed-ports-3-16-glass.19511/
- https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/confessions-on-rebedding-portlights.490/

There are many more related threads which may have info relative to your specific situation. Some of these discuss how to deal with damaged interior wood paneling. Looks like you might have that ahead of you once you stop the leaks.

Good luck,
Jeff

c.gustafson

Member II
I fixed my leaking portlights as follows. Removed the portlights and meticulously cleaned off the old caulk on the inside of the metal portlight frame with a wire brush and small screwdriver --- take your time and get the old caulk out of the small grooves in the portlight frame. To state the obvious, you also need to carefully clean off the old caulk/junk from the gelcoat. I used Life Caulk to re-bed the portlights and I've had no leaks over the last 4 years. Before you remove the portlights, be sure to put painters tape around the portlight --- this will help in cleaning up the mess from excess caulk that squeezes out when you re-bed the portlight. It's fairly time consuming process but simple. My recollection is that I did 10-12 portlights on my 38-200 over two days.

peaman

Sustaining Member
If you use the Search command box on the upper right part of the screen, and type in something like: leaking fixed port, you will get a lot of hits to read thru.
I just discovered that by searching "Master Thread", lots of so designated topics come up. It's a list worth browsing on its own.