• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need help to identify winch from E32

bernardm

Hello,
I lost one of my winch pawls to the sea floor. The boat is a 1971 E32. The winch is located on the starboard side of the mast for raising the main sail. All other winches on the boat are Barlows, but this one does not have any markings and it is not a Barlow (says the guy who sells Barlow winch parts). Does anybody know the make of this winch, or where to find parts for it? See photos below...
Thanks a lot for your help!
Michael

IMG_20160720_190940.jpgIMG_20170423_150317.jpgIMG_20160720_191002.jpg

tenders

Innocent Bystander
That's an interesting little winch - the drum is tapered, isn't it? Doesn't look familiar to me, my '69 E32 doesn't have that. I think it originally had a reel winch on the mast, especially for the main, so it's possible what you've got there is a later addition by a PO.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pretty hard to find such a part on a vintage winch, even if you know the model.

For a replacement winch, I suggest you call yacht surplus outlets similar to http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com. Theymight have something that fits the budget.

For a rope halyard you might get away with the little Marelon winch (Defender Industries mail order), which is under $100 new. The application would be out of the specs, but your current winch is even smaller.

Good luck, welcome to the forum--and maybe someone will have a better idea.

kapnkd

kapnkd
We have a '73 E32MkII and went to internal halyards with blocks at the base of the mast leading to cockpit winches.

I'm checking with my son to see what we did with our old mast winches after the conversion. He may have them in a box of our old stuff or sold/traded them off. His memory is LOTS better than mine and may still remember the size and brand. Soon as I hear, I'll at least get back to you as to what brand and size they were. Hopefully, it will be of help to you.

I don't recall ours having a taper in them as yours shows in the photo though.
-kerry

...Just heard back! ...We traded the two winches in to Harken for a discount on the new ones. They were BARLOW - SIZE 16 winches.

Last edited:

HerbertFriedman

Member III
There is a company in Australia which sells parts for old barlow winches, I know I bought a part for an old Barient winch from them, not cheap but may be better than replacing the entire winch.