• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need new old mast for Ericson 35

RogerK

On November 3rd we were sailing between Baltimore Light and Rock Hall in the Chesapeake when we lost our mast.

We were having a great sail, traveling briskly close hauled through choppy waves in a beautiful breeze when the furler came flying back towards our heads. As I turned to starboard to get the load off the now non-existent fore stay and keep the wrecking ball of a furler from decapitating us the mast came down across the starboard quarter of the boat, crumpling near the lower spreader. The chain plate near the head ripped up and out of the boat, the sails were shredded, the furler demolished, and there was random other damage to stanchions, etcetera. (There was an old hidden corrosion crack that let go underneath the stainless stemhead strap where it folded around the nose of the vessel beside the anchor roller.)

Insurance is going to total the Ericson 35 and every sensible person I have talked to says take the money and buy something different.

Being a totally irrational optimist, I am tempted to buy back the hulk from the insurance people and restore the boat. I hate to see her end up in a landfill and her lines are so much prettier than most of what's out there.

I am trying to find a second hand mast for Bayleif. If I can get one for a reasonable price then I can handle most of the deck-down repairs myself over the winter. (Right... And my old neighbor said he would soon finish the home-built aircraft he started twenty years before he quit on it and moved to Florida!)

Another possibility is to try to straighten the old mast, saw out about a foot, and insert an internal or external doubler to reinforce the joint.
If anyone knows of a suitable mast lying around please let me know.

Roger Kaufman
kaufman1@gwu.edu
703-893-0840 (H)
703-867-4998(C)

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I have a spare! It is in the San Francisco Bay Area so you will need to check into shipping. But I do have it if you are interested let me know. Edd

RogerK

Thanks for the information. I think I have a plan for rebuilding the mast I have...

I have a spare! It is in the San Francisco Bay Area so you will need to check into shipping. But I do have it if you are interested let me know. Edd

Thanks for the information. I think I have a plan for rebuilding the mast I have by fabricating an internal sleeve and an external mast section.
I have taken a 4' length of 6061T6 aluminum tube that just matches the inside diameter of the mast and split it down the center. I am about to weld two 4' lengths of aluminum plate to these half cylinders, making a mast section that will just slip into the old mast and will bridge on either side of the break by about a foot. Similarly, I am making a 1' long section of mast that will have exactly the same cross section as the original mast and that will be welded over the center of my 4' long sleeve. The top and bottom lengths of the original mast will plug together above and below this new splice and will be mechanically bolted together. The lower spreader attachments will be welded to the new middle section and the whole works should be stronger than it was originally.

I have already straightened the bent spreader and formed, pop riveted, and welded aluminum sheet metal around the damaged area making it stronger than it was initially.

Now I just need to find a replacement roller furler and rebuild everything else on the boat!

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier but it has been a busy month and I hadn't gotten back on line.

RogerK

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier...

Thanks for the information. I have worked out a repair strategy that will be far cheaper than shipping a mast from California and should result in a mast that will be stronger than before. The area around the lower spreader will end up twice as thick with an internal sleeve providing reinforcement.

My daughter just got married so I hadn't gotten back on line after my original post. Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier...

SFH

Member II
On November 3rd we were sailing between Baltimore Light and Rock Hall in the Chesapeake when we lost our mast.

We were having a great sail, traveling briskly close hauled through choppy waves in a beautiful breeze when the furler came flying back towards our heads. As I turned to starboard to get the load off the now non-existent fore stay and keep the wrecking ball of a furler from decapitating us the mast came down across the starboard quarter of the boat, crumpling near the lower spreader. The chain plate near the head ripped up and out of the boat, the sails were shredded, the furler demolished, and there was random other damage to stanchions, etcetera. (There was an old hidden corrosion crack that let go underneath the stainless stemhead strap where it folded around the nose of the vessel beside the anchor roller.)

Insurance is going to total the Ericson 35 and every sensible person I have talked to says take the money and buy something different.

Being a totally irrational optimist, I am tempted to buy back the hulk from the insurance people and restore the boat. I hate to see her end up in a landfill and her lines are so much prettier than most of what's out there.

I am trying to find a second hand mast for Bayleif. If I can get one for a reasonable price then I can handle most of the deck-down repairs myself over the winter. (Right... And my old neighbor said he would soon finish the home-built aircraft he started twenty years before he quit on it and moved to Florida!)

Another possibility is to try to straighten the old mast, saw out about a foot, and insert an internal or external doubler to reinforce the joint.
If anyone knows of a suitable mast lying around please let me know.

Roger Kaufman
kaufman1@gwu.edu
703-893-0840 (H)
703-867-4998(C)

===========================
2/23/2014
Roger,

It looks as though you have solved your broken mast issue. If for some reason repairs do not work out, I too have a E35 MKII mast available for sale – located in Mississippi. If you would like more information, please email me at shopsr@bellsouth.net

Thanks,
Sam