• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need Windlass Advice

Jeanne

Member I
Is it possible to add an electric vertical windlass to an Ericson 38 without extensive (expensive) structural changes to the bow? I am told the hatch is too big and the locker is too small for any reasonable modification. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Jeanne
:) Smooth Operator

Captainpeter

Member II
Jeanne, I own a 1984 E38 and have installed a Simpson Lawrence vertical anchor windlass. I installed it just aft of the anchor locker. This means that I take the rope and chain off the windlass as it makes the 180 degree turn and comes forward. I just hand it off the gypsy/capstan and drop it into the locker (with the door open, of course). The operation requires both my hands, plus a foot to step on the deck mounted switch, but it works smoothly. I have been doing this successfully for about 18 years now. Feel free to email me if you have any questions (captaintrw@aol.com). By the way, what is the year and hull number of your 38 and where do you sail out of? Peter

onbabe

Jeanne,
We have and 89 Ericson 38-200. We had the anchor locker reinforced and leveled. We then mounted a Simpson-Lawrence in the bottom with the chain dropping into the storage space below. We have a remote control unit to raise and lower it. We have '150 of chain and '100 of rope. We also added a wash down system. The remote allows us to lean over the front and clean the chain as it comes up. The top of the boat is clean. Our only problem is the amount of chain. Sometimes it is necessary for someone to crawl up into the V berth and spread out the chain so the rest can drop. If you have more questions, let me know.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Jeanne,

I have a 1980 E38 with a vertical windlass installed in the deck just aft of the center of the bow locker, also. The motor and gearbox protrude about a foot down into the v-berth area and there's a very nice teak box around it. It's a head-knocker to avoid when getting into the chain locker or making up the berth.

I suspect the structural mods were minor - possibly limited to some kind of backing plate. I will check next time I'm at the boat and see if there's any serious new layers of fiberglass added or anything. On deck it's clean.

There is another Ericson 38 I just spotted in the marina (newer than mine I think) that has the windlass further forward in the forward half of the locker door. That must have taken some work to preserve the locker door (non-structural) and also some work to strengthen the locker floor. If I see the owner I'll quiz him about it and let you know.

Craig

Jeanne

Member I
I appreciate your help. I still have to find someone competent to do the installation and your advice is invaluable.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Jeanne,

I have a little bit more information for you. I felt around the windlass box on my E38 and there is a backing plate. It must be plywood, probably 3/4' or maybe an inch thick. It's about 8 or 10 inches square. That's not much of a mod, the teak box is more expensive than that.

I talked to the owner with the vertical windlass that is in the middle of the bow locker door (see my previous post) and he said he wouldn't necessarily do it that way again. He found that the door's balsa core had thoroughly rotted - unexpected extra work cleaning out and filling. He said he would install a horizontal model rather than the vertical, and he would position it so that the rode would drop right down the pipe into the locker. That would require some interesting structural work up there, to the door and the pan underneath.

My first experience with the vertical windlass in my boat was just this morning, in calm winds and in barely enough water to keep the keel out of the mud. I found out, as I wound in the chain, that the chain can override on the windlass (the gypsy?) and I ended up jamming the chain before I realized what happened. I have no reverse on my windlass, so I ended up driving the boat over the anchor to free it and then motored to deeper water before freeing the override and manually pulling the anchor in the rest of the way. Once the anchor was out of the mud, I easily freed it from the windlass.

I wonder if the two empty screws in the forward part of the windlass base are used to attach some kind of block that prevents the chain from overriding?

Good luck what ever you do. I guess they're back savers, but I have some learning curve to climb!

Craig

Jeanne

Member I
Craig -

Thanks for the information. Regarding your override, you might want to make sure you have a compatable chain for your gypsy. I am told this is one of the problems if you are using the wrong type of chain. Just a thought.

Jeanne

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
There's a piece missing...

Thanks Jeanne.

The gypsy and the chain are the correct size. I just experimented with the gypsy and a winch handle at the dock this weekend and discovered that the gypsy breaks loose fairly easily with the handle (duh) so I probably could have cleared the o'ride easily using the armstrong reverse method.

I also traipsed around the docks looking at other people's boats and windlasses and it is apparent that there is a piece missing from the front of my windlass. Its purpose would be to strip the chain out of the gypsy, preventing an o'ride.

The things I don't know would fill volumes...