• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New 32-3 assorted mysteries

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The boat I'm looking at buying has a dufflebag full of block & tackle (with ratchet block) for hoisting the bosun's chair up the mast.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
this is very long

Needs to be, given the difficult procedures for hoisting a weakened MOB aboard even at anchor. And another illustration of why man-overboard is to be avoided at all costs.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
@ Puget sailor - If you don't mind me piggy-backing on your menagerie of curiosities, I'd like to post this picture of tackle which came with our boat. The previous owner was of 'diminished capacity' and his family didn't know what it was for. It's stumped everyone who's seen it. I roughly estimate 125' of line, maybe more.

View attachment 43847

Any ideas, folks? A little puzzle to go with your Friday cocktail.
? too short to be part of a purchase-providing system for getting up the mast ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
? too short to be part of a purchase-providing system for getting up the mast ?
Remember that the carabiner has to clip onto the harness of the MOB person at water level, and the top set of blocks will be clipped to the end of a secured halyard that is likely 4 or 5 feet above the deck, because there has to be room to hoist the person up without 'two blocking" the two sets of double blocks, when you winch the person up with the line that you have led to a primary winch. Counting the end of the line led to the winch you might easily have 50' of line in motion, and you want some extra for the tail to haul on. The original owner may have bought more line than was really needed, but that's not as unpleasant as it being too short, when used in an emergency.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Yep, it's probably a COB retrieval gear. I've been through the Safety At Sea seminar a couple times. They talked about COB, probably with slides. The last one included a morning session in a pool, with PFD's and foulies. We climbed into life rafts, and other stuff, but I don't remember practicing retrieval with tackle. A hole in the course to be addressed, methinks. (or a hole in my memory) Once Donna and I get our boat going (very close!) I want to gather a few friends and actually practice COB procedures. Until then, I'm just working on theoretical geometry and PowerPoint presentations. Regarding Christian’s sage advice of staying on the boat, we do have jack lines and harnesses, we’re getting our ancient lifelines replaced any day now, and we take other precautions.

@Jerry VB @Loren Beach @Puget sailor @peaman @toddster @Christian Williams @nquigley Thanks for the perspectives.

Prairie Schooner

Yep, it's probably a COB retrieval gear. I've been through the Safety At Sea seminar a couple times. They talked about COB, probably with slides. The last one included a morning session in a pool, with PFD's and foulies. We climbed into life rafts, and other stuff, but I don't remember practicing retrieval with tackle. A hole in the course to be addressed, methinks. (or a hole in my memory) Once Donna and I get our boat going (very close!) I want to gather a few friends and actually practice COB procedures. Until then, I'm just working on theoretical geometry and PowerPoint presentations. Regarding Christian’s sage advice of staying on the boat, we do have jack lines and harnesses, we’re getting our ancient lifelines replaced any day now, and we take other precautions.

@Jerry VB @Loren Beach @Puget sailor @peaman @toddster @Christian Williams @nquigley Thanks for the perspectives.
I finally had time to stretch that tackle out and it is 65' long!!! Not the rope, but the 5:1 tackle extended (325' of rope?). I keep coming back to having shorter tackle. There's no place to stow it convenient to the cockpit, the bundle is too heavy for some of our crew to manage, and it's a tangle to deploy. The Lifesling brand kit is 3:1 and about 21' long laid out. If my math is right, that's about 15' of lift with 20' of bitter end. We've got a tackle with a cam cleat that I use off the boom for the outboard. Seems to me that would work for this as well. Is there a compelling reason not to have the camcleat? Or a ratchet block, perhaps?

lifesling 02 sm.jpg Lifesling tackle sm.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We never know what was in the mind of former owners, and maybe the tackle was for some purpose we can't readily imagine. My former owner also went with 5:1, which is a lot of line. I figured he was a big guy, his wife was small, and the rig was for her to retrieve his sorry carcass. But, uh....well, that's a lot to put on your wife, ain't it? Digging it out and rigging it while you apologize from the water for all indiscretions? And never mind her just watching you founder and smiling slightly. And I don't trust juries anyhow. "I tried, your honor, really I did." Nah, I'll clip in.

If your tackle is for MOB, it can surely be shortened as needed.

jtsai

Member III
I finally had time to stretch that tackle out and it is 65' long!!! Not the rope, but the 5:1 tackle extended (325' of rope?). I keep coming back to having shorter tackle. There's no place to stow it convenient to the cockpit, the bundle is too heavy for some of our crew to manage, and it's a tangle to deploy. The Lifesling brand kit is 3:1 and about 21' long laid out. If my math is right, that's about 15' of lift with 20' of bitter end. We've got a tackle with a cam cleat that I use off the boom for the outboard. Seems to me that would work for this as well. Is there a compelling reason not to have the camcleat? Or a ratchet block, perhaps?
Can it be used as a solo mast climbing contraption?

Prairie Schooner

yup - that was my thought too (back at post#23)
I had dismissed that as too dangerous then just this morning I was looking through a past issue of Cruising World and saw someone using something similar.
One difference is that the author uses ratchet blocks. But, that's probably what this rig is for.