• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New bottom on E34

TimTimmeh

Member II
I've had my E34 bottom stripped and drying out for 7months, I'll soon have her faired and then a new epoxy bottom on her, 20mils of westsytems barrier coat. I'm considering using VC offshore on top of that, and burnishing because after all this work I want something shiny.

Anyone ever use this? As far as i know there are no really good hard paints available in Canada, we have very limited choices.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We used VC17, which is a fresh water equivalent to the offshore, on a previous boat, and it worked really well. Easy to manage each year, and little fouling.
Frank

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
We used VC17, which is a fresh water equivalent to the offshore, on a previous boat, and it worked really well. Easy to manage each year, and little fouling.
Frank
I’ll second the VC-17 for freshwater. It seems to be the preferred choice for the boats we store with and we have been using it since 2008. Easy prep, easy application, and does the job it is intended to do.

Interlux has useful tables of their materials (paints) and what prep is needed/what barrier coats they will adhere to. Recommend the Google and finding that document for the Interlux product you select if you end up going that direction. Happy bottom painting!

JSM

Member III
Third on VC17. I have been using it for the past thirty years with no complaints. I have also used Pettit SR21 (aka Westmarine FW21) both of which work well. The Pettit/WM versions seem to be a bit thicker and all can be thinned with alcohol. This year I'm only doing the rudder and waterline.

TimTimmeh

Member II
The VC17 sounds awesome but probably a bad idea for the ocean, im assuming you are all using it in fresh water? Canadian options are limited compared to US. Usually around here sailboats use micron CSC or petit horizons, the CSC is just ok but grows slime, the Horizons is really effective but it leaves a cloud of paint whenever you touch it. I think I will give the VC offshore a chance and if it doesn't work out it can be covered in ablative next time.

Mark Roberts

E34-200 Kingston, Ontario
I use VC17 in fresh water and have found it to perform very well. I really only find growth near the waterline that I can easily brush off a few times each summer. I can just spot apply each spring for a few years before I need to paint the whole bottom again.