• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sparky84041

I am so excited! I am the proud new owner of a 1973, Ericson 27, model #384. I am so excited to be a new boat owner. I can't wait for the wind in my face, long sunny days in new ports, and looking back and seeing a wake as far as the eye can see.

But for the moment I get to enjoy the other part of boat ownership, painting, plumbing, engine maintenance and, electrical work. Just to name a few. However, I don't feel that any task is beyond my desire nor ability to accomplish. This forum is a great asset, I'm grateful to be able to ask questions and get response from others who have "felt my pain".

On to it.

1. This boat is going to need a new bottom paint. For the foreseeable future I'm going to be in fresh water lakes and want to now if I should use an anti-fouling paint like VC17? This appearers to be more expensive and wont last as long a an epoxy type paint, but if I'm still going to be fighting algae growth in fresh water should I stay with the anti-fouling? Also when i do get to salt water (5+ years) I assume Ill need to sand it off then anyway. Thoughts?

2. My existing bottom paint is peeling and it appears there is a undercoat of something else that is cracking too. I don't know what this is. I know its going to have to go away, but i don't know what to replace it with. 2 coats of what? Hopefully the picture is worth a 1000 words.

3. A holding tank will need to be installed. This has been overlooked until now. I was wondering on what size most people have gone with? I think 15 gal is common, but is bigger better, and if so, how big? It appears to be straight forward, a couple of cuts in the v-berth, and a new hole in the deck with some plumbing. Can I expect to get this done in a weekend?

4. Since I'm not any where near an ocean, I will be trailering this many, many miles. Can a 1/2 ton Chevy with a crew cab do this? I would enjoy hearing some success stories. I am worried about losing a transmission in the middle of nowhere. Also is there anybody who has experience with launching a e27 from a trailer? I'm thinking there is going to need some modifications and I would enjoy hearing about what works.

5. It has been sitting on a trailer for a long time (about 5 years). I'm concerned about the fuel in gas tank and the gas tank itself. I suppose I could pump the gas (gas not diesel) out if needed - but is it needed? And should the gas tank be replaced? I know how to check for corrosion without destroying the gas tank. Will a fuel filter protect me and the atomic 4?

6. The atomic 4 does not have a oil filter. Should I get the kit and install one or not? Is it a now thing, or a later, when I can.

7. Re-name the boat. If been warned by a family member not to rename the boat because it is bad karma. Sailors superstition. To me, I have poo-pooed this because when I'm done, I think she will be a new boat. I really don't want to be sailing somebody else's boat. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• Oct 22 2010 377.jpg
    Oct 22 2010 377.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Oct 22 2010 378.jpg
    Oct 22 2010 378.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Oct 22 2010 375.jpg
    Oct 22 2010 375.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 68

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's a start...

1.and 2. paint thoughts..... If you are sanding off whatever old paint is on there and starting over, you might want to chose a paint that can keep its effectiveness even while out of the water on a trailer. You need to research this a bit. I used to use VC17 for a fresh water sailed boat for a decade, recoating every third season. It was good paint.
Nowadays I am still in fresh water and using Pettit Trinidad SR. I get three seasons on it, but the thickness really builds up over the years. Probably more than one right answer to your question...

3. http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=6251&referrerid=28
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=7417&referrerid=28

7. http://www.johnvigor.com/Denaming.html

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
#2: Probably just layers of old bottom paint. It seems common to sand, but not necessarily remove, old bottom paint before applying new; eventual buildup results. You may want to take it down to the original gel coat, or at least to a good, solid paint layer and apply new primer.

My boat had a pretty good buildup when I had the bottom done a year and a half ago. I had it all taken off and an epoxy barrier coat applied. I used Trinidad SR and I am in salt water. You could probably check with others in the water you will be sailing as to what bottom paint is best. I asked the diver who cleans my hull every two months.

TRMN8R

Member II
#4 The 27 weighs in at around 7k# and it's 9' beam, so first check with your states limits regarding the width. Secondly, the half ton should pull it, just make sure that your tranny has been regularly serviced, etc. Last time I was in UT (earlier this year) there's an awful lot of steep climbs, etc.

#6 YES! Get an oil filter. Mine is located for service behind the door under the sink. I can get to it easily, etc.

Have fun! I just love my e27!!

Glyn Judson

Regarding questions #3 & #5.

Dear friend, Congratulations on the purchase of your E27, you'll have many delightful years of fun with her, she's a good boat. This note is to address only two of your questions about the holding tank and getting rid of the gasoline. Ronco plastics is still in business http://ronco-plastics.com/newRonco/images/MarineTanks_2011.pdf were the OEM supplier of holding tanks for Ericson and I can tell you that my former boat, an E25+ and our current one, an E31 are both fitted with an 11-W tank (see page 2 of their catalog) with a capacity of 13 gallons. That has always been enough for my wife and me even on extended stays aboard of four to five days. The secret is using head facilities ashore as much as possible and being smart about how infrequently one flushes if you get my drift. If you pee and flush, it'll never work, etc. When it comes to holding tanks, smaller really is better because the larger the tank, the less frequent the pumping out and with that can come head system odor. They can make a tank for you with fittings where you want them all over the phone and fax with a simple illustration. Consider having them install an inspection plate too. That comes in handy on down the road and gives you the ability to get a garden hose in there if needed. Find a spot under the V-berth (that's where they're located in the E25+ and the E31) that will allow you to build a simple 3/4" plywood tray for the tank. Add 1X2's around the edges and strap it securely using your own method. It is also sooo important to use Odorlos head treatment in the system too. This stuff is very, very affordable, nature friendly and will eliminate 100% of all head odor forever if used properly, guaranteed. It's simple to use and their recommendation for a 10 gallon tank works perfectly for our 13 gallons. Additionally, please refer to the "Our Favorite Method" for head plumbing on page 494 of the 2010 West Marine Catalog. I have successfully used a slight variation of that on several of my boats and a few others for friends. The only exception is that I substitute a T-fitting for the Y-valve shown as #8. Study the illustration and you'll soon see that there'e no real need for that Y-valve. As to the gasoline left in the tank, it's only a matter of months before the gasoline begins to break down with the result that tars and crud begin to settle and adhere on the bottom. That becomes a problem when it gets churned up in any kind of seas with the result that it clogs the fuel filter(s) and even the carb. Devise some method of trying to clean out that crud as best as possible. I had a chap come to our E25+ to do that very thing and after removing the old gas, used a gallon of lacquer thinner to dissolve the tars. He then used several gallons of diesel fuel (less flammable) to filter the crud out in his gigantic two or three stage filtering set up. I'm talking large tanks here the size of oxy/acetylene tanks but if you're creative, you too might be able to get the majority of it out and rely upon your onboard filters to do the rest. Feel free to email me at glynjudson@roadrunner.com for several photos of my holding tank and plumbing if you think they might be useful. Best of luck, you'll love every minute of it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Sparky84041

Thanks for all your responses.
#1. Sounds like I could go either way on this paint, but the Trinidad SR is preferred. Is there something other than price that helped make you choices?

#2. It appears there have been multiple coats of bottom paint on this boat. What I think I’m looking at is an older coat of paint that has lost its pigment. I’ll just sand it off too, until I get to fiberglass.

#3. As for the holding tank, I could be wrong, but I’m thinking bigger is better – given a choice. 13 gallons seems quite small. I have a big family (wife and 5 kids) who I haven’t scared off yet to notion of sailing. With my being in a “no discharge zone” I’m thinking I’ll need all the space I can get. Loren thanks for the links to previous threads, sounds like you have some up-close and personal experience with this project.
Glyn, I have sent a PM to your email.
Ronco Plastics seems to be the right choice. Ill call Ron and talk options.

#4. A ½ ton pickup can be used to trailer this around, but I’m sure I’ll be at the weight limit if not over. One of my fears will be to not have the traction, horsepower, and transmission to pull this out of the water. I guess there is one sure way to find out. I’ll be getting back to everyone on this.
The beam is 9-0’ and the wide permit is required at 8’-6”, I wonder if this is “close enough” or if the law is the law.

#5. Still pondering about my old gas tank, but I’m leaning to replacing it.

#6 The oil filter sounds like a must!

#7 Thanks for the ceremony idea to de-name the boat. There will be a ceremony in the near future.

I really appreciate all your input on this. I am feeling a little overwhelmed, and almost think I have bitten off more that I can chew. This forum really helps.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
You may want to check with Pettit before using Trinidad SR on a boat that is not kept in the water. Vivid might be a better choice for a trailered boat.

Glyn Judson

Re: #4, trailering up the launch ramp.

Dear friend, Oops, had no idea that there'd be seven of you using the head, go for a bigger tank by all means. As to the launch ramp issue, if you find that the going gets tough with your 1/2 ton, consider a trick I used for many years when pulling our first boat, a Mac Gregor 25 up our ramp in Marina del Rey, CA http://www.marinadelrey.com/points/ramp.html with a 4 cylinder, 1970 Volvo wagon. There was no way it would pull the boat up that ramp so I harkened back to my childhood days and how I'd ride my bike up a steep hill. With the boat on the trailer and ready to haul, after getting even the slightest amount of headway with the Volvo, I'd crank the wheels either left or right depending upon available space next to me and slowly start the climb. When at the limit of the launch ramp width, I'd crank the wheel the other way and about then find myself pretty much at the top of the ramp, problem solved. So if your ramp is wide enough to allow the same and you find it difficult to chug straight up the ramp, give that method a try, it works like a charm and it beats buying another tow vehicle by a long shot. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

crznhwy1

Member II
Howdy Neighbor!

I see you are in Layton. I have a '73 E27 at the Great Salt Lake marina. My hull number is 359. I've owned mine for almost 3 years now, It is in the water, but I haven't had it out of the marina yet, as I've been rewiring it, replaced the gas tank, doing engine work, and having the rigging redone. I plan on restepping the mast in a couple of weekends so she will be ready to go in the spring.

Will you be sailing on the GSL? I'm happy to share any of the things I've learned!

Mike

Sparky84041

Hey Neighbor!

How are you going to be restepping? Self or crane? If you need a hand, I’ll make time and offer mine. Even if you don’t need help, I’d still enjoy coming to watch and learn. I'm going to have to so the same thing in the spring myself.

How deep is the GSL? I’ve heard it’s too shallow to get out of the harbor. Something like 3’7” clearance. I sailed on it 15 years ago when there was 10 feet more water. Sure wish it had it now.

I was thinking of putting in at Bear Lake, but told there is a 5 year waiting list. Still thinking on options, looks like I not going to be in a big hurry. I’d enjoy hearing about your experiences on GSL.

crznhwy1

Member II
There aren't a lot of amenities at the GSL marina, but they do have a mast crane. I'll send you a message when I'm ready to do it.

Yes, the lake level is at an all time low, but the level starts to rise again in November. The mouth of the marina is shallower than the marina itself. The larger boats are stuck for awhile. Last week when we had some high winds the water in the lake was pushed north and parts of the marina bottom were exposed. The Great Salt Lake is very shallow, so any drop in water level means a big change in in the shoreline. For as much area as it covers, the GSL is only 20-30 feet at its deepest. The weatherman says our drought cycle should be over and the lake levels should start to rise.

You might check out the GSL marina web site at http://www.gslmarina.com or the GSL Yacht Club at http://www.gslyc.org/

Mike

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Congratulations on the boat purchase!

7. There are some fun ceremonies out there - I think you can even goof it up and it'll be OK. We helped our friends rename their Catalina 27 and they bought really good champagne for the drinking/toasting. We had to drive home so we had to stay for awhile afterwards to get below the limit.

We haven't done the ceremony since renaming our boat yet. But we will. I wonder if that's why something needs to be repaired during or after every vacation cruise we've ever taken in the past 7 years?

Or, maybe we should move out of slip B-13.

Cheers,

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A Proper Renaming

At the Ericson Rendezvous in '05, the whole renaming ceremony was performed. Glyn was resplendent in proper Viking headgear and... shorts (!?) :)

Arrrr... what a fine day it was!
:egrin:

Attachments

• EricsonNewName 7-05.jpg
    EricsonNewName 7-05.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 53