• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

new e 27 owner

737800FO

Member I
Guys and Gals,

I'm a new owner of a 74 e 27. Its currently in the water and the previous owner couldnt tell me when the last time it was hauled out. It appears to be fairly dry, but there was some water in the bilge but I'm not overly concerned because no one had been on the boat since last summer.

I am a pilot and there are many similarities between sailors and pilots. Being a fairly new sailor, I am trying to approach this as I would as a pilot. Safety first, need to have, and then nice to have. There are no manuals with the boat, but I have been able to get some good info from this web site. What I am wondering is there anyone out there that has developed check lists for operating their boats. I can see a need (at least for me personally) to have a check list for starting the engine and just entering and leaving the boat. So, if you have one already or if you have thoughts or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark S.

adam

Member III
The first thing you should probably learn about are the thru-hulls and seacocks. (Holes through the bottom of your boat, and the valves to shut them off).

Find all of them, make sure they look like they're solid, and that the handles turn freely.

It's _safest_, if you close the seacocks when you leave your boat. And, you'll run into big problems if your seacocks are closed when they should be open.

As for the engine, it's going to vary based on how it's setup and what kind of engine you have. To start with do you know the make/model of the engine?

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Welcome Aboard

The best thing you have done so far is to find this site! I learned a lot from just reading through the E27 owners manual found here. As you look at other E27's , you will notice minor differences between the tiller model and the wheel model, in addition to PO modifications

I agree with Adam regarding the thru-hulls. I, like you, did not have any records from the PO and sweated out the first 9 months until I had it hauled out this past winter. At least all of the original "gate" valves had been replaced with "ball" valves by the time I got it. I ended up replacing 4 ball valves and thru hulls.

Sounds like you are due for a haul out to paint the bottom, so you will definitely want to check those out.

Chances are you have an Atomic 4 gas engine, so the most important thing will be to run the air blower to evacuate any gas fumes prior to starting the engine. Other than that, you probably want to just spend some time getting to know your boat. The checklist will develop on your own, but I am sure someone out there has one.

This site is a great resource, with plenty of knowledgeable sailors who are willing to help out us "newbies"

Good Luck

Last edited:

TRMN8R

Member II
As the PP mentioned, this is the first and most important step! I remember well when I got my E27 four years ago, and found this site. I spent hours pouring over threads, bookmarking, etc. No doubt this site/forum is the best source of information. Be sure to find the download section and download any and all manuals, etc. I did, printed them out, placed them in a binder and keep it all aboard. Next step, and as a pilot you'd completely understand, was for me to make a schedule of work. I based a lot of this on a recent survey, first identifying safety related issues that needed to be addressed as a top priority. Then listing projects that I wanted to do in order of priority which I've 'punched through' over the past four years. I've used this forum as a guidance to how to, materials used, etc and haven't gone wrong. I could go on, but then I'd take all 'the fun' out of the process that you'll undoubtedly experience as I and many others have. Above all, I say, welcome to the forum, be sure to join both the Ericson and E27 Facebook pages, and ENJOY YOUR BOAT!!

Welcome!:egrin:

Capt. Max

Member II
Welcome Aboard!

We are here to help. I think your checklist will grow on its own.
Each boat is a little different than the next, i.e. I have an outboard.
Tell us more and we can direct you better. Good Luck.
By the way I love my E 27....

Keiffer

Member II
Lake Lanier

737800FO -

We are on Lake Lanier also. Bought an Ericson 31E from Smith Mountain Lake virginia a little over a year ago. We are at Sunrise Cove Marina.

737800FO

Member I
Welcome, Mark!

I also have an E 27 on lanier, what marina are you at?

Glenn

Glenn,

We're at Sunrise cove marina. I was out there most of the day. Pumped out 3 gallons of 2 yr old gas from the tank. Refilled it and after some tinkering got the Atomic 4 to start. Also scrubbed half the top side. It's starting to look a little better.

Mark

737800FO

Member I
737800FO -

We are on Lake Lanier also. Bought an Ericson 31E from Smith Mountain Lake virginia a little over a year ago. We are at Sunrise Cove Marina.

I'm at sunrise cove also. L 17 R. I was out there nearly all day. There were white caps on Lanier today.

737800FO

Member I
Got the Atomic 4 started today. What a relief. How much water should I see from the exhaust port. It was not a steady flow like some outboards I have seen, but I watched the temp and it never got above 130.

Next up is changing the oil. How do you do this? I suppose that you have to pump out the old oil since you cant put a drain pain underneath the engine.

Keiffer

Member II
White caps on Lanier

Mark,

We are at H19 over by the office. Yes I know about the white caps we ventured out for a two hour sail today, winds were 20 MPH gusting to 30 it gets to be a little like work! We prefer 15 to 20.

We looked around before settling on Sunrise Cove and have been very pleased with the Marina, I think you will like it. We are there most every weekend feel free to stop over and check out our restoration project.

CamD

Member II
Atomic 4

130 at idle is right where it is supposed to be. To change the oil you need a pump. Any marine store will have a few oil change pumps to choose from but don't get a manual pump unless you have a lot of time on your hands. Stick the tube from the pump into the oil fill tube or dipstick tube and start sucking. You won't be able to get all of the oil out so you may want to fill and then pump out again on the first change to flush the motor. The best resource for the Atomic 4 is http://www.moyermarine.com/ his manual is excellent.

dt222

Member III
Oil Change

Mark,

I do change my oil with a manual pump (on a floating dock with no power although I realize that you can get a 12v pump). And have not had much luck using the dipstick tube. Instead, I take the transmission cover off, and use that point to pump from. I'm not too worried about the extra time. I also second the thought about the Moyer Marine Manual as the bible for your engine, and the Moyer web site as the second tool (next to this forum) for ideas, hints and help.

Don

737800FO

Member I
Mark,

I do change my oil with a manual pump (on a floating dock with no power although I realize that you can get a 12v pump). And have not had much luck using the dipstick tube. Instead, I take the transmission cover off, and use that point to pump from. I'm not too worried about the extra time. I also second the thought about the Moyer Marine Manual as the bible for your engine, and the Moyer web site as the second tool (next to this forum) for ideas, hints and help.

Don

Don,

Thanks for the info. I checked out the Moyer marine site and it is very helpful. I have a hand pump (used it to remove 2 yr old gas) and will give it a try for the oil change. Lots of cosmetic stuff with this boat but I think she's got good bones......

thanks again,
Mark S.