• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New E23-2 owner in SF Bay Area

nimereht

New owner of an E23-2 fixed keel in Alameda, California here, reporting in.

Bel Far Niente* is well used but functional for her 40 years, somewhat like her owner (ok, 45 years on the owner.)

My opportunity to get back into sailing properly (I raced dinghies and crewed on bigger boats in Santa Barbara as a kid, have done some blue water cruising with Dad on his 37' Island Packet...) This is the boat for SF Bay to practice, hopefully teach my wife and stepson to sail, and eventually outgrow in favor of something bigger to go further afield... but also, it's a bit of a project / fixer and I know this; purchase price was appropriate to her needing a bottom job (I'm planning to haul out in February and redo the entire hull gelcoat a bright red instead of her faded yellow, replace that rubrail that seems to have turned into chalk, and put some bottom paint on her too - currently has none as she was a freshwater lake boat up until recently), new sails, and a bit of interior work to spruce her up. Not to mention about a hundred other things I'd like to fix / upgrade, all in good time and in priority order of co$t and importance to moving the boat through - and keeping her floating atop - the water.

I've already got a list of specific technical questions, concerns, and general newb owner queries, but I'll take those topics up in the appropriate forum if not already sufficiently answered therein.

* Italian idiom, "The art of doing nothing", except of course that I plan on doing a fair amount of work (and ideally, as much SF Bay sailing as possible!) on this boat, but therein lies the irony. When it comes to boat names, I'm not above rechristening - and if someone had named her "Wind Song" or "Sea Dream" or "The Other Woman", I might have had to... but I like it. She can keep her name.

- Jonathan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the group!
You have the smallest yacht from a quality builder of many larger offshore yachts...
It was not a cheap boat when new, and with a little luck will have "good bones" favoring a restoration now.

When you can, please add some pix.
(you can put them into your album on the site, as one option.)

Regards,
Loren

Vagabond39

Member III
San Fran Bay

Welcome aboard. I sailed out of Vallejo back in the early 70's. But, that was another lifetime. On the East Coast now. Enjoy the E23.
Bob