• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New E27 Owner

Hey_Billy

Hi all, I am the new owner of a 1972 Ericson 27, hull number 258. I purchased the boat recently in near-original condition as the 3rd owner. Much credit is due to the 1st owner who kept the boat in great shape for 44 years.

I have put about 100 miles on the boat so far and have been really pleased. Am located in the SF Bay area. I have a short list of improvements I would love some advice on; for now especially focused on improving the cockpit locker stowage of my anchor and ground tackle. I welcome any input on this and other improvements focused on single handing. Some photos of the boat are below.

Also, the boat came with all of the original manuals so am happy to upload those to the knowledge bank. Check out the green shag carpet in the interior brochure!

Thanks all and looking forward to sharing more here!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 34
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 31

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Congratulations...your new to you boat looks better than I do! Not my sailboat, but Me! She is beautiful...what is her name?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard.

I hung a Danforth on the bow pulpit of my 25-footer. It got it out of the way and didn;t weigh much. The rode itself is easier to store. (But I don;t know if you guys in SFB can use Danforths).

I am also the last person alive to advocate anchor chocks on the foredeck so the anchor is exposed there, with the rode coiled and seized on top of it. But that's less classy with Rocnas and plows.

If I anchored a lot with a non-folding anchor I'd install a simple bow roller on the boat to hold it. I've never liked an anchor buried in a locker 'cause it, well, it's in the way and keeps sliding around.

Hey_Billy

Thanks Christian. Just got a 20# Danforth and will let you know how it goes on the pulpit mount. It will be easy to improve on the muddy mess I made a few weekends ago.

BTW, I read Philosophy of Sailing earlier this year and enjoyed it a great deal.

Hey_Billy

1911tex, she doesn't have an official name yet but since I got her as a "coronavirus special," and moreover in the wake of my girlfriend breaking up with me, I am thinking... "Disaster Relief" :)

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Billy, Looks like you are in Alameda (near CG Island). I have been an E27 owner since 2003 and have single-handed the boat for most of that time. So I feel I made most of the modifications to make that possible and easy. You have the tiller model! That's great. I'm on the Delta. Antioch to be specific which makes me somewhat local. However I moved up to an Olson/Ericson 911 recently and have sold my 73' E27 to a nice fella in Berkeley. This site has a lot of great information and contributors. There is also an E27 Facebook group that is really good. Be sure to join that one as well. Congrats on the new to you boat. I can't think of a better boat to learn on. But then I'm very biased.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
1911tex, she doesn't have an official name yet but since I got her as a "coronavirus special," and moreover in the wake of my girlfriend breaking up with me, I am thinking... "Disaster Relief" :)
Not a marital-related name, but one of the better names I've seen was on a friend's E-27. He had a very stressful job, and named his Ericson.... "Reality Check".
:)
I used to crew on it sometimes for club racing. It was fun to drive, too!
:egrin: