• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New E29 owner and new sailor to boot

Wolfy189

Member I
Greetings, With Sean's advice, I'm starting this thread as an introduction of myself as someone extremely green to the sailboating experience. Never the less, and with next to no knowledge, I have purchased a 1971 Ericson 29 in what i'm told is "fair to good" condition. It has been outside and out of the water for 3 years under shrink wrap. For the past month it has been inside where I've been scrubbing it clean. We are less than 30 days away from being able to put her back in the water but I don't have a "details" list of what to do to make the transition back into the water. It appears to have been well winterized and the boat yard owner said the previous owner took excellent of her up until he passed away. The boat yard owner took the mast off for me and will put it back on but getting it started and to it's slip is up to me. And for that I don't have a clue. There is an atomic 4 that looks well maintained but I'm sure it hasn't been run for the past few years while sitting. I suppose I'll just have to connect a battery and go for it. Anybody live near South Haven Michigan want to come by for some personal coaching/instruction? As far as equipment goes, it has several sails, a spinnaker, man overboard device, a marine radio, 2 compasses, depth finder, knots indicator and thats about it. The marine radio appears very old. I notice on many boats a windspeed and direction indicator on top of the mast but mine does not. I am wanting to have as inexpensive a first year sailing as possible but also won't compromise safety. So in a nutshell that is where I'm at and what I'm up to. I'm totally open to direction and instruction and want to do it right. We have been familiarizing ourselves with "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship". Very helpful but much of it will make more sense later I'm guessing. Eventually will attend formal education but I don't want to miss the season just because I don't know it all. We are giddy with excitement to sail and explore the coast. Thanks in advance all of you who respond! Sincerely, Jon Clark

jkenan

Member III
Congratulations on your acquisition. I love my E29... Great boat! We have had ours since 2005, and my only surprise is how much more I enjoy sailing her each year.

Have you had her surveyed? If not, get a good referral and have one done - it is money well spent. If you don't know what to look for or feel you can recognize a problem if one exists, then you would be prudent to hire someone who can. Beyond that, the only other thing I would absolutely do right now (if you are launching in one month) is to make absolutely certain your shaft seal, cutlass bearing, and sea-cocks are up to snuff. A rudder inspection would also be on my short list. These are the things you can only check/repair while the boat is out of the water (I'd add bilge pump inspection as well, though technically that can be repaired with the boat in the water. If you need it though, you could be in trouble). Anything else can be done while the boat is in the water.

Make sure sea-cocks open and close properly, are not loose in their bedding and are tightly secured, pads are not rotten, and that they are proper marine seacocks (you don't know what a previous owner may have done). Shaft seals will need replacing periodically, and I would not assume your's has been. If it is brittle, cracked or bulging, replace it. If it is OK, you should at least plan to replace the packing material if it is not the dripless variety. Cutlass bearings are also commonly ignored maintenance items and a worn bearing can create other problems due to shaft play. Replace your zincs while you're at it. These are all relatively inexpensive maintenance items (save seacocks if they need replacing), and a surveyor should make detailed observations of each of these, including the rudder, while the boat is out of the water.

I appreciate you want to keep it inexpensive, and frugality and boat ownership are not mutually exclusive. That said, seaworthiness is paramount, and to own a boat carries a responsibility to keep your crew and you safe. If you are in fact launching in a month, your attention (and dollars if necessary) should be prioritized towards below-waterline concerns. Problems left unchecked could cause you to yank her right back out, or cause something far worse later...

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with everything!

Wolfy189

Member I
John, Wow! Thanks so much for that bottom line assessment of my immediate needs! I will get right on that this week. Don't suppose your gonna be in the neighborhood and feel like coming aboard? There is a full service marina in town so I will visit them. Maybe she'll get a clean bill of health. Either way sounds like I'll get some expert onsite advice. I think I'll bring a tape recorder! Thanks again. Any time you feel like passing knowledge/advice my way I'm very open! Jon

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Welcome to the Board. You will find that most sailors are more than willing to help out. If its instruction you require then find a knowledgeable sailor and make friends. Most will work for beer! If you were in my neck of the woods I'd volunteer to spend a day showing you the basics. Find someone that will where you are. It may be worth your while to inquire about paying a professional to spend a day with you if you truly are "green".

RT

Wolfy189

Member I
Oh I'm green! But I think I'm also savvy. My entry into this was only $2k so I've got room to ante up some $'s (or beer) as needed. I don't think it is going to require much but I'm anxious to get her back in the water and see what she can do. Thanks for your input. Jon