• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Fuel Tank Ordered

dcoyle

Member III
My boat is in our backyard this season sitting uncovered for the summer. By chance I climbed up on it last week and discovered diesel fuel in the bilge. Cleaned that mess up and brought the fuel to a shop that can burn it in their boiler. About a week later looked again and more fuel in bilge. Determined fuel coming from tank so we pumped out about 30 gallons and pulled tank. Found some areas of either chafe or rot on very bottom of tank. Considered having a shop repair but decided to go with new. Called Berry Sheet Metal and Cliff is still in business and has the original drawing. Prices have gone up with covid I guess, new 40 gallon tank with new sending unit $600 plus shipping to Maine. My boat is an 82 33RH. Like the idea of new rather than 40 year old repaired tank.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When we had a new tank fabricated, I had access plates installed, one on each side of the baffle. I also took that opportunity to slightly reformat some of the hose connections. And.... had a sender installed for a new Wema remote gauge.

dcoyle

Member III
Cliff doesnt due inspection ports. I most likely wont add them. If needed I can remove the sending unit and see into tank. I pulled the original tank about 4 years ago to inspect inside. It was clean except for some staining on the aluminum. Put a few gallons of acetone in tank and rotated tank every few days so that all sides except top got exposed to the acetone bath. Came out clean. Since I like race I am considering pumping tank dry for the winter storage then add about 10 gallons in spring to save weight. Will top off when heading on cruise. These boats are so well built!!!

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I am considering pumping tank dry for the winter storage then add about 10 gallons in spring to save weight.
I think an empty(er) tank just collects more water than a full tank. More air in the tank means more air moves in and out through the vent line during heating/cooling cycles (day vs night). Fresh air brings more moisture into the tank which then condenses on the tank walls when they cool down at night.

Before ethanol gas became the norm at the (automotive) pump, we used to be advised to add Heet additive and to keep the tank topped off in the winter time. Heet was just alcohol, so the gas we buy now essentially already has Heet added. But keeping the vehicle's tank full is still recommended.

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
When we had a new tank fabricated, I had access plates installed, one on each side of the baffle. I also took that opportunity to slightly reformat some of the hose connections. And.... had a sender installed for a new Wema remote gauge.
I would really like to replace the stainless steel fuel tank on the E41 not leaking yet but one of the water tanks that look like the same construction was badly corroded and leaking. Who did you have fabricate your tank?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And a link to our tank replacement--