• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Mainsail

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We are anticipating the arrival of a new mainsail for our 35 MkII. We went with Dave and Edward at the Quantum loft in North Van and have been very pleased so far with their service. Dave came and measured the boat - not just the main dimensions but took all the info for jib/genoa and noted measurements for potential chafe points (spreaders, etc.) and dodger/bimini data. We talked at length about our usage patterns and future sailing/cruising plans and of course, budget. They gave us quotes on several configurations (per my instructions) but were clear on what they recommended. We ended up going with Dave's suggested configuration with the addition of a Dutchman sail flaking system that I really wanted. The final specs are as follows:

9.4 oz dacron with a good sized roach, 4 full battens, 2 deeper-than-normal reefs, loose foot, 3 draft stripes, Ericson logo, no sail numbers, and the Dutchman flaking system.

I will update this thread as everything is installed.
They are coming to install everything later this week, if all goes well. Additionally, I am replacing all the control lines for the main including halyard, 2 sets of reefing lines (luff and leach), outhaul, topping lift, vang, mainsheet, and traveller control lines. I have ordered all new cheek blocks, double blocks (outhaul), and mainsheet blocks from Garhauer and new clutches from Spinlock.

I love projects like this! The downside of course is the cost - just under $4000 including everthing listed above.

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Our new main sail arrived and was fitted by our sailmaker last Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to get out and sail with it yet but will be doing a complete assessment next weekend. At first glance, it has significantly more roach than our previous main and is so clean and white it hurts your eyes just to look at it! The workmanship is great - the stitching is a work of art. It all fit perfectly and the Dutchman system is amazing, flaking the sail perfectly on top of the boom with virtually no futzing around - just lower the halyard and you're done! I have attached a few pics to show off a little. Note that the pic taken from abeam off the port side is a composite of 3 images and as such is a little skewed.

Attachments

• main1 sm1.jpg
    main1 sm1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 78
  • main1 sm2.jpg
    main1 sm2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 81
  • sail profile sm.jpg
    sail profile sm.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 102

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks like they owe you a class emblem...

And, FWIW, why not have them at least put your one design sail number on it?

:egrin:

Loren

Last edited:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Loren,

good eye! I asked Dave about that when he delivered the sail and he admitted that he had indeed suffered a brain fart (they had cut the emblem but had forgotten to put it on!). They are coming down to the boat on Tuesday afternoon to install it.

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Thanks, Dan! Hopefully, the weather forecast will be accurate for a change and we'll get a good chance to test it thoroughly this coming weekend. I talk to lots of folks who claim that I won't believe the difference that a new main sail makes. Never having purchased a brand new sail for our boat before I'm anxious to see if they're correct. I'll let you know...

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Wow, I can't believe the difference sailing with the new main makes!. (See previous post - those guys were right!!!) I don't quite know what I expected, but overall it was just super easy to sail along, close hauled, at close to hull speed in 9-12 knots of apparent wind. It seemed to take so little effort to shape the sail to match the conditions. Heel was noticably decreased and pointing ability seemed improved. It's difficult to quantify the pointing ability after one two-hour sail, but I will be better prepared to do so after our upcoming 2 week sailing vacation. Papillon just lifted her skirts and sprinted along.
I can see that I am going to have to tune the rig a bit though. The leeward lowers became quite loose and flopped around a bit when beating - never had the problem before so I'm attributing the phenomenon to the additional loading of the rig from the more efficient and larger mainsail.
As an additional note, the new Garhauer mainsheet fiddle blocks are soooo smooth. I'm VERY impressed with the lighter effort this setup requires. I was always pulling my arms out of their sockets trying to harden up the main with the ancient Schaeffer (non ball bearing) blocks. The new ones feel like we changed from 4:1 to 5 or 6:1 and release so easily when gybing the boom across when sailing deep downwind.
The Dutchman sail flaking system is amazing! If you're getting a new sail - order one. You'll thank me later. (I enjoy the Capt Morgan Spiced Rum & whatever is cold to mix it with!)

Last edited:

CaptDan

Member III
Hey Mike,

I'm not surprised. Envious? Yup.:egrin:

Looking forward to hearing about the boat's performance after you fine tune the rig, and have opportunity to put the new sail through its paces. But from everything you've said so far - including the Garhauer hardware upgrades - it's time to for me to start thinking about 'Kunu's' next main-rag.:nerd:

BTW, what type of traveller system do you have? I'm assuming you've changed out from the original 'finger-slicer' rig.

Enjoy!

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Dan,

our traveller is a "hybrid" of old and new stuff. We use the original track but with a ball bearing car, two small harken roller bearing blocks mounted on a Harken part (I don't know the name or part number, but it attaches to the car and "stands up" giving a place to clip the mainsheet lower fiddle block and the two blocks that carry the traveller control lines) and two turning blocks secured with backing plates to the teak cockpit boards on either side of the traveller track. These blocks lead back to clam cleats secured again to the cockpit boards.
It is not the "best" traveller but it works smoothly, is easily controlled from the helm or from in the forward cockpit, and is a really skookum installation (that would be "super strong" for all you non-Pacific NW'ers).

celtium

Member III
Sail weight

Hi Mike,

Have enjoyed reading this post as I have a new main on order.

Question...I originally ordered the sail with 9.3 oz cloth. The salesman convinced me that 8.3 oz is more than adequate for SF Bay. Considering I decided that I wanted a 3rd reef, I traded out the 9.3 for the 8.3 to pay for the reef.

Can you expand on your decision to go with 9.3 and how does it handle when you lower it etc, i.e. stacking on the boom, sail cover etc.

Thanks -

Jay, Celtica
E38-200
SF Bay

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Jay,

It was pretty simple. I had Dave quote me for a main 2 years ago and that quote listed the 8.3 oz cloth, 2 reefs, & 4 full battens. When I ordered the sail this year and he said he would match the old quote. We talked about our usage pattern and I told him we were planning a trip down the Best Coast to Mexico in a couple or three years and wanted this sail built for that eventuality. We settled on 2 deeeep reefs, 9.4 oz cloth, 4 full battens and he agreed to match the old quote again! We then decided to add the Dutchman system since the cloth upgrade was essentially FREE!
I don't know if you ordered your new sail loose-footed, but I have to tell you I really like that we changed and went that route. The sail shapes so nicely with the outhaul now. It never seemed to make much difference on the old blown out main with a bolt rope anchoring it to the boom.
I will take some pics of the sail on the boom and you can be the judge. It comes down and flakes itself no problem at all. Works awesome! We are having a new sail cover made up as the old one was worn out with many patches and we need to modify the layout for the Dutchman reef monfilament lines.

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Dan,

our traveller is a "hybrid" of old and new stuff. We use the original track but with a ball bearing car, two small harken roller bearing blocks mounted on a Harken part (I don't know the name or part number, but it attaches to the car and "stands up" giving a place to clip the mainsheet lower fiddle block and the two blocks that carry the traveller control lines) and two turning blocks secured with backing plates to the teak cockpit boards on either side of the traveller track.

Mike,

If you could figure out which Harken traveler you have that works with an old Sheafer track, that would sure be helpful. I didn't think any Harken would work with the old track. Or maybe a picture could help me figure it out?

Thanks,

celtium

Member III
Thanks

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the opinion. Mine was ordered as a loose footed sail as well.

The new main can't get here soon enough either! Two weeks ago we were sailing along and I noticed that 3 of the slugs along the foot had blown out! I was joking that I now had a half a loose footed sail.

I didn't know what impact, if any that would have as the clew eye sewing didn't appear to go all the way around to the foot and I feared that the foot might blow out, so I tied the slugs to the boom to the point we must have looked like the Beverly Hillbillies with all the light line attached to the boom. That ain't no way to treat an Ericson that's for sure!:esad:

Post note, I just sold my E-35 MKII, loved the boat, sails wonderfully, I'm sure you feel the same.

LTR

Jay
Celtica E-38-200
SF BAY

Last edited:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Keith,

the traveller car is certainly NOT a Harken piece! It has a name that I don't recognize, but I will write it down for you when I get home and check it out again. all the little fittings attached to it ARE Harken bits and pieces. Not that I have any afinity for Harken, it just worked out that the parts were from them. I will take a pic if I remember!

dc27

have boat, need time
Mike,

If you could figure out which Harken traveler you have that works with an old Sheafer track, that would sure be helpful. I didn't think any Harken would work with the old track. Or maybe a picture could help me figure it out?

i would love to know this too. i'd like to upgrade to a functional traveler without having to replace the track, if that's possible!