• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Propellor on 1986 Ericson 32

Monty

My old prop was a 2 blade 14 x 12. I ordered a new "Campbell Prop" 3 blade 14x7 [ what was recommended] I can only get to 2300 rpm. Any thoughts on what the correct size might be?:confused:

Tazman

Member I
I have a 1985 Ericson 32 with a M25. I installed a 15 x 9 3 Blade Michigan Sailor and find that I can hit 2700 rpm. I usually run 2000 rpm and feel that I get good economy, no smoking, and good spead. If I run above 2000 rpm, I still have an overheating "issue" but I believe that it is the head exchanger. Good Luck

newgringo

Member III
Monty, I just went through this drill and it was a chore but had wonderful results. Look at the thread called "Correct prop for E32". This I do know. 2300 rpm at full out is way too low. With a Universal M25, clean bottom and an "accuarte" tack you should see 2900 to 3000 full out down the bay. To make a long story short after I had "good" performance data, Jon at the "The Prop Shop" in Mulketeo, WA sold me a 3 blade Michicigan Sailor which turns 2960 full out. This makes motoring very smooth at 2400 or so at over 6 knots.
Now knowing way more than I ever wanted to, email me if I can offer anything to help. OBTW, better calibrate your tach first. griggs@centurytel.net
1986 SV Raconteur E32-3

clohman

Member II
Here's what I put on my boat and the non-scientific results:

Source: Vic Prop, British Columbia @ (250) 743-8151
Size: 14" Right Hand Twist with 8" pitch, three blade Campbell Sailor
Shaft: 1" Standard Taper Bore
Price: (2002) $385.00

This pitch was based on their previous installations and I have found the prop to be appropriate for my Ericson 32 (Universal M25 w/Hurth Reversing Gear/Transmission) - hull speed of 7.3 knots at 3000 RPM; cruising speed of 6-6.3 knots at about 2300-2500 RPM with no overheating (I installed the upgraded 3" heat exchanger). Interestingly - no prop walk.

The forward bevel design of the blades is alleged to offer less drag than my stock two blade, but I have no way of measuring that now that my old prop is hanging on the wall.

Last edited:

Jeff Meier

Member II
I've followed all of the threads about prop size for this model as I have a 32-3 with the same engine/trans as described above, and a fixed 2-blade 15x11 Martec prop, and it only make 5 knots at 2500rpm. From what others with the same boat/engine/prop said l should be making around 6 knots at that rpm.

At full throttle the engine turns at 3800rpm and the boat makes just over 7 knots. I beleive that the tach is inaccurate because the boat speed is right where it should be for full throttle, but the rpm isn't. From what I understand the engine should limit itself to 3000rpm (max rpm per the manual) even if it is under-propped just by virtue of how a diesel operates. (...?) The alternator could have been upgraded at some point in time without the tach getting re-calibrated, a likely cause for what I think I am experiencing.

I'm tempted to just drive the boat at 3000rpm, which makes 6knots and coincidentally (?) is 80% of full throttle rpm....

Any experienced people's advice about this?

BTW, all of the speeds were measured with gps with no wind or noticeable current. and the boat has new bottom paint -nice and clean...

Thanks,
Jeff

1986 32-3

newgringo

Member III
I think you are correct - the tack is off. I saw this on my boat and another Universal powered rig. They are pretty easy to calibrate with a small scewdriver if you have a way to accurately measure the actual engine rpm. I have a hand held optical digital tack which is very accurate. Now as for rpm of the diesel, mine is governed at 3200 rpm at full fuel even out of gear. I think Universal says the max full fuel rpm loaded, ie at full fuel pushing the boat, for an M25 is 3000 rpm with cruising about 2500 or so. Now I am wondering why my max speed is 6.8 knots and two of you other E32-3 guys are getting over 7 knots flat out. Humm.
SV Raconteur Kingston, WA

Monty

Prop problem mostly resolved

Thanks for all the responses to my problem. Once I sorted out that I didn't have an engine problem and that the prop did work,[One response used the exact same prop on the same yr. Ericson as mine], I managed to contact Victoria Propellor who make the Campbell prop. I was considering having it re-pitched by having the thick edge ground down. They informed me that would result in the loss of the patented qualities of the prop namely less drag and less prop walk compared to a regular 3 blade prop. They advised that if I was getting good cruising speed at 2100 rpm 6.2 knots, and the potential of full hull speed 6.7kn. at my max. 2600 rpm.[ throttle cable adjustment got me fromm 2400 t0 2600] then just live with it. There advice is that if I'm not overworking the engine and able to get good cruising speed I'm actually using less fuel and it's esaier on the engine running it at lower rpm's. So that is what I plan to do. Thanks again for the help in sorting out this problem. Monty

Last edited: