• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Strainer & Thruhull

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I found this photo from two years ago when all the original Marlon valves on their threaded thruhulls were replaced with the "newer style" Forespar base-mounted valves. The new ones are epoxied to the backing plates. The marlon threaded thruhull pipe is screwed in from the outside, and bedded in epoxy, and then ground off flush with the hull.
The photo shows the bottom of the boat, under the berth in the aft cabin, facing forward.

The PSS dripless seal installed in 1995 is visible on the left.
:D

The hose from the valve goes slightly out of this photo on the right side as it makes two 90 degree turns to come into the top of the Groco strainer. The exit fitting from the strainer goes forward, along side the Universal M25XP diesel, and to the raw water pump on the face of the engine.
The original Morse control cables are visible, as is the coupler to the back of the trans.
There has been some comentary on the Sailnet/Ericson list lately about strainers, etc. Note that this strainer is actually suspended from the top of the frp berth bottom with a custom frp 90 degree piece fabbed up by the boatyard.
With the access lid off, I can get to the valve and strainer easily.
:)

Note also that this is the "engine flushing" valve with the garden hose fitting on the top. When the handle is put over 180 deg, I can put a short hose on that fitting and run antifreeze thru the raw water part of the system and the heat exchanger to winterize it.

I hope this helps others visualize the setup a little better.

Loren
Olson 34 #8
Portland, OR
:cool:

Attachments

• o-34valve&strainer,small.jpg
    o-34valve&strainer,small.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 874
Last edited:

whoulihan

Loren: Thanks for the note - interesting to see the difference. I will take a close look at mine, but I am sure they are not epoxied on - I believe they are screwed on the actual thru-hull piece.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My, how Time Flies. :)
Now there is a different (new) engine/trans.
The Groco strainer, 3-position-valve seacock, and PSS shaft seal are still in place. That Forespar valve is working just as good as ever.
Same "good old" boat, too!

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Loren,

Looking Back at this thread it occurs to me that your 3 way thruhull could perform another useful function in an emergency situation. Place your short hose on the valve and direct the hose down to the lowest spot it could reach in the bilge and turn the handle 180 degrees and, viola, your engine seawater pump has become another bilge pump, sending water from the bilge overboard. Not a high volume pump, but useful in some situations, I think.

Those are neat valves.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren,

Looking Back at this thread it occurs to me that your 3 way thruhull could perform another useful function in an emergency situation. Place your short hose on the valve and direct the hose down to the lowest spot it could reach in the bilge and turn the handle 180 degrees and, viola, your engine seawater pump has become another bilge pump, sending water from the bilge overboard. Not a high volume pump, but useful in some situations, I think.

Those are neat valves.
While this may work to some extent, note the amount of cooling water that emerges from your exhaust. It is not very much. Also, if you have too much water in the boat interior for your built-in pumps, there will likely be debris - both large and small - swirling about. It would take little to plug up the hose or filter and stop the pumping action, and that would stop the engine anyway.
While it may help a little bit, I am not convinced it would do much more than make you feel good. :)