• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New to Forum/Surprise E26

Justin651

Hi all, My name is Justin and I am from St. Paul, MN. About a week ago a friend/co-worker asked if I wanted to buy a sailboat. I told her that it was a dream of mine but that I did not think I could make it work. She asked if I could make it work if it was free, and that is pretty hard to pass up. So I am currently trying to find out as much as I can as fast as possible. The boat is a 1988 E26. It hasn't been in the water for 4 years. While I am not broke, I do not have a ton of disposable income to spend but I am pretty handy. I am trying to get a realistic idea of what all goes into owning a sailboat. My sailing experience is somewhat limited. I chartered a 32' sailboat on lake superior for 5 days, three with a captain, and had the time of my life but that was 20 years ago. Other than that just as much time as time as a could in sunfish at boy scout camp as a kid. I am looking forward to learning as much here as I can. Thanks!

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Welcome! You've found the right spot.

Not sure anyone could answer what all goes into owning a sailboat. There's always maintenance to do, there are always upgrades you want, there are always things that need replacing. How much of that you do is totally up to you. As long as the boat is safe to use, you can take it on according to your own priorities.

Most of us do our own work on our boats, which is why this site is so valuable - there are many experienced people here and whatever task is in front of you, someone here has likely already figured it out.

Other than that it hasn't been in the water for a while, any idea about the boat's condition? Are all the pieces there? Is the hull watertight and structurally intact? Is there a trailer? Feel free to post pictures and questions....

someone once said "there's nothing more expensive than a free boat". That may be true, but if the boat is basically sound, and you have the time and interest to take care of her needs, it'll be a rewarding journey.

Bruce

vasuvius

Member II
I just bought an E26 a couple months ago. My first sail boat - and I've only been sailing for a year. It's a great first boat. Welcome aboard.

Gaviate

Member III
time and interest to take care of her needs, it'll be a rewarding journey.
Hey Justin, Welcome, and as Bruce says, you're in for tons of fun!
On the dollar question, be aware that boat stuff is generally more expensive than auto stuff but if you're a savy shopper your can find deals and in some things get used but still good equipment. Lots of salvage boats out there.
If yours to be, is on a trailer, that's great. Otherwise you will always be on someone else's property, at a dock, on a mooring or on the hard at a marina. Each of these somebodies will want some dollars and this will become a fixed annual cost that will never go away (maybe go up as things tend to do) but don't let that scare you, the 1200 or so that I spend is very much worth every penny and more. When sailing to certain harbors or marinas the question of insurance may come about and you should certainly have the boat insured. Not overly expensive here in the midwest because the boat is out of the water for nearly 7 months of the year (ARRRGGH) but I would consider insurance to be as important as air in your tires. Check out your local marinas and don't be shy about talking to boat people, I have yet to meet anyone at the marina not willing to talk about his/her boat! Ask questions there and here and......go sailing!
Cheers

windblown

Member III
Welcome! This is our fifth season with our 1985 Ericson 32-3, which was our first boat. The great advantage to having your Ericson in the Great Lakes is that you have 6-7 months ”off” during the cold months to explore this forum. It can provide quite an education! Sometimes, I found it overwhelming to consider all the things that could go wrong, and what it might cost to prevent disaster. However, as we keep working through the upgrades/preventive maintenance, and fixing those things that crop up unexpectedly, using these forums for guidance, it makes the boat a year-round, interesting hobby. And these boats are such a joy to sail: easy and responsive in light air for beginners, comfortable and reliable for cruisers, and powerful and agile for those who have the skills to really sail them well.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi all, My name is Justin and I am from St. Paul, MN. About a week ago a friend/co-worker asked if I wanted to buy a sailboat. I told her that it was a dream of mine but that I did not think I could make it work. She asked if I could make it work if it was free, and that is pretty hard to pass up. So I am currently trying to find out as much as I can as fast as possible. The boat is a 1988 E26. It hasn't been in the water for 4 years. While I am not broke, I do not have a ton of disposable income to spend but I am pretty handy. I am trying to get a realistic idea of what all goes into owning a sailboat. My sailing experience is somewhat limited. I chartered a 32' sailboat on lake superior for 5 days, three with a captain, and had the time of my life but that was 20 years ago. Other than that just as much time as time as a could in sunfish at boy scout camp as a kid. I am looking forward to learning as much here as I can. Thanks!
Welcome to the Group!
I believe that you will appreciate owning the smallest (in the 80's) version of a design family of boats from a very high quality builder. Bruce King designed a fast boat with the best cruising amenities that would fit inside each model. The factory used the same materials and labor to construct their smaller boats, right up to the 38. While the passage of time and prior owner neglect will often require work to restore parts of it, underneath is a solid vessel with ocean crossing capabilities.

If you wander thru my recent blog entries about our total re-fit, there are comments and pix about the construction methods used in finishing out our boat in 1988. The wood work in your boat was probably milled and assembled by the same team of journeymen as our boat. And, the fit and design of our teak furnishings and trim is truly excellent ! :)

Last edited:

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Welcome! We got our '85 E26 earlier this year in a very similar way. The boat chooses the sailor.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am trying to get a realistic idea of what all goes into owning a sailboat.

Let us know about this particular sailboat. Does it have sails? An engine that works? Has it sat full of water for four years? Lots of photos would help, and the members are good at recognizing the repair costs of negligence or damage.

Note that a free boat is a boat with no market value and is therefore bound for the scrapyard. This sad fate is because replacement parts are expensive, and other examples of the same or similar boats are for sale for a price less (much less!) than the cost of fixing up a free one.

Salvageable or not is the question.

Justin651

Thanks for all the replies! I was able to get out and actually see the boat today! I got a list of issues found by a surveyor hired by a prior buyer causing them to cancel their bid when the boat was listed for $12,500. Talked to my co-worker and her husband some more. These are people that I have reason to trust. They are getting rid of the boat for his parents along with a multitude of their other toys, been going on years and needs to be done. They both have some variety of sailing experience and said that the boat is fantastic on the water and is just a joy to sail. Also found out that this is the third summer it has been out of the water not the fourth.

The survey revealed the following:
1. Fire extinguisher needs to be certified and tagged as current or replaced.
2. The bottom antifouling is in poor shape - very rough - needs to be sanded and repainted.
3. Engine hoses are cracked. Needs replacing.
4. Engine belt is cracked. Needs replacing.
5. Battery does not have a lid to the box, or protective covers over posts to avoid shorting/sparking/electrical fire.
6. Cabin liner port and starboard sagging with some mold noted. Clean and dry and repair headliner.
7. Ventilation hose torn. Needs replacing.
8. Rust noted on engine riser. Possible overheating. Needs further inspection.
9. Port and starboard side decks showing higher levels of moisture with delamination.
10. Engine oil needs changing.
11. Exterior wood needs cleaning/sanding/refinishing.
12. Some running rigging and anchor rode need replacing.
The surveyor said that the overall vessel rating was fair/poor condition.
He but a value on the boat of $5,000 to $6,700.

Seller said #2 is the type of anti-fouling they purposely used as they were not racing and it is tougher
Engine belt/hoses/filter/oil is all in my wheelhouse
#6 is due to a potential buyer leaving ports open. It smells of mold nothing apparent on any cloth. They cleaned it but said they could have done better.
#8? I didn't see any but I forgot to look specifically. Overall the engine looked like it needed cleaning but no clear leaks.
#9 is my concern. There was a small amount of movement under my 240# in about 2ft of the starboard side deck and 6in of the port. I looked underneath the liner at the bottom of the decks with the boatyard guy and there is no visible discoloration or marking. He said you can often see black. We talked about repair from underneath using vacuum bags and that is beyond me at this point. They chainplates are not attached to the side deck in anyway and he was of the opinion that the boat could be sailed for a few years before it really needed to be repaired.
#12 cost?

There is no trailer.
Engine ran last time it was used.
Boat is not full of water and has sails. I did not pull them out but the boatyard guy said they are not top of the line but in good condition.
Looks like all the pieces are there including the owners manual and maintenance paperwork.

I got some picture as well. Unfortunately no good interior photos.
I got pictures of the only cracks I could find.

Attachments

• PXL_20210629_195126086.jpg
    PXL_20210629_195126086.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20210629_195350436.jpg
    PXL_20210629_195350436.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20210629_195353141.jpg
    PXL_20210629_195353141.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20210629_195412939.jpg
    PXL_20210629_195412939.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20210629_195317275.jpg
    PXL_20210629_195317275.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20210629_195328355.jpg
    PXL_20210629_195328355.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nice boat for lake sailing, and the survey ain't bad. Apparently it has an inboard engine, probably a diesel in 1988. If the diesel runs--well, that's a $6,000 part right there :).

You know the sellers aren't out to trick you, and their motivation makes sense. And hey, it's Minnesota, the land of nice, right?

One other factor in the decision: restoring the boat to your standard may be no more than a long series of little jobs, but you'll wind up doing most or all of them yourself. Takes time. Hiring the work out is not economically feasible.

Brad Johnson

Member III
I have a 1988 E26-2 #329 that I bought new, They are a solid boat and the pictures with the cracks on bow, and stern corners are common with the way they bonded the hull to deck joint. The only way to really tell a wet deck is a moisture meter. The boat has no added blocks ,tracks , clutches so water penetration is most likely not a problem. The engine is a universal M12 and is fairly bulletproof with proper care. does it show a lot of water damage in the interior???? pictures would help. I had my boat soda blasted last spring and did some repairs and then 2 coats barrier coat. and new bottom paint . with me doing repairs and painting the bottom cost me about $1600. . My feeling is if you can get the motor running you are all good . then you can pick away at other wants and needs

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Seems like a good deal to me - with consideration of what Christian and Brad said.
Even having sat in the yard for 3 years, I can see a good amount of shine on the topsides back there by the steps - looks like she'll polish up really well.
Good Luck!