• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Newport Oregon sailing

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Does anyone here have any information or opinions on keeping a boat (Lotus Flower) In the Yaquina Bay? Looks like it might be a pretty restricted sailing venue but I really have no idea. We are moving to Corvallis and I had planned to truck Lotus Flower up from Santa Cruz....

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am just an occasional (by land) visitor. I have also participated in one delivery there of a 30 foot sailboat from Portland. The bar is considered to be one of the easiest (and shortest) bars on our coast. There is sailing on the bay, albeit more at high tide. It all shoals quite a bit going up to the end at Toledo, and is kept navigable to that point for barge traffic, AFAIK.

FWIW, the bay has more sailing room for your boat (4' draft) than it would offer for mine (6' draft........) :)

They do have a racing program. If you want to sail/motor up to Astoria it's an overnight trip. It has been years since I walked the docks, but I recall that there are two marinas there. The YC does not own a moorage facility, but does have a nice clubhouse. Note that, like much of the Oregon and Washington coastline, it tends to be a lee shore and there are few nearby places to duck in to. The local's at the YC can fill you in for the other 99% of the details. :)

The Oregon Hiway Dept has a couple of cams on the scenic bridge, and here is the main "TripCheck" link. look for the Hwy 101 cams.

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Loren. I have a friend in Newport that sails and hang glides and I hope to get out on his boat before trucking Lotus Flower up. I do know they have a Wednesday evening race and I plan on checking that out next week. I started getting concerned because I’ve never seen a sailboat on the bay the handful of times I’ve been there. Could just be bad timing. My wife and I just drove along the Yaquina River from Newport to Toledo and the views were gorgeous. Thanks again, good info.

Teranodon

Member III
Mark,
I hope the sailing meets your expectations. Whatever you do, don't miss Newport's superb seafood restaurant, Local Ocean. It doesn't look like much, but they really know how to cook fish. And it's right on the waterfront.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Stefan,
Thanks for the tip. I will definitely check out Local Ocean.