• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Newtec propane control

tmjkelley

On the twenty fifth of last month I became the owner of an E34. I couldn't be happier! My plan is to live aboard, a dream come true. When I had the boat surveyed I was told that the Newtec propane control wasn't working properly. It was a consideration in the price negotiations. So, I'm not complaining. However, I'm stumped. Newtec is out of business and the unit I bought from West Marine is incompatible. I'm living aboard and can't cook dinner. Help.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I used to have the combo remote solenoid control and sniffer on our prior boat with propane cooking and heating.
You may need to install a new one. Note that the sensor element in any old "sniffer" is probably years over its replacement date already.

The 12 volt wiring to the solenoid is probably still ok, unless it isn't. :rolleyes:

This is a safety issue that will affect your insurability as well as your personal safety. Propane is a handy-dandy cooking fuel, but you do have to handle it carefully. Very carefully.

A quick web search finds this current version of the system I installed back in the 80's. Time flies....
:)
https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/pro...akajKH1xMjrjpVUi3pMKCUpwXyTvCsOBoCWUcQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have a Xantec S2 propane sniffer which came with the boat 11 years ago and has worked great. I recently saw an updated version on line for about $200. I did replace the regulator and the solenoid a couple of years ago as they were looking a bit corroded, though still worked fine.
Frank

tmjkelley

I used to have the combo remote solenoid control and sniffer on our prior boat with propane cooking and heating.
You may need to install a new one. Note that the sensor element in any old "sniffer" is probably years over its replacement date already.

The 12 volt wiring to the solenoid is probably still ok, unless it isn't. :rolleyes:

This is a safety issue that will affect your insurability as well as your personal safety. Propane is a handy-dandy cooking fuel, but you do have to handle it carefully. Very carefully.

A quick web search finds this current version of the system I installed back in the 80's. Time flies....
:)
https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/pro...akajKH1xMjrjpVUi3pMKCUpwXyTvCsOBoCWUcQAvD_BwE
Loren,
Thanks for that info! I'm on it.

tmjkelley

I have a Xantec S2 propane sniffer which came with the boat 11 years ago and has worked great. I recently saw an updated version on line for about $200. I did replace the regulator and the solenoid a couple of years ago as they were looking a bit corroded, though still worked fine.
Frank
Frank,
Good to hear from a neighbor. I'm a liveaboard in Point Roberts, WA
Thanks for the help.
Tom

Frank
Hi Frank,

Curious if you have any photos of the configuration of the gauge, reguator and solenoid all together in the propane locker along with the tank? We are trying to get it set up a bit better, but am finding it tricky to fit all in decently. Thanks. Doran & Shannon

Frank Langer

Hi Shannon,

It all does fit. I will try to remember to take a picture tomorrow.
I have been busy in recent weeks replacing a slightly leaking diesel fuel tank (life span seems to be 35 to 37 years, so get ready to do this job), hot water heater, servicing heat exchanger (needed about every 3 years), servicing the steering system, etc. It has been alot of work, but I'm nearing the end. Tomorrow I add new diesel fuel to the new tank, replace coolant, add water to the hot water heater and then see if it all works. If so, I get to go sailing again! :)
Frank

Hi Shannon,

It all does fit. I will try to remember to take a picture tomorrow.
I have been busy in recent weeks replacing a slightly leaking diesel fuel tank (life span seems to be 35 to 37 years, so get ready to do this job), hot water heater, servicing heat exchanger (needed about every 3 years), servicing the steering system, etc. It has been alot of work, but I'm nearing the end. Tomorrow I add new diesel fuel to the new tank, replace coolant, add water to the hot water heater and then see if it all works. If so, I get to go sailing again! :)
Frank
Thanks Frank we appreciate it.

We had to replaced the heat exchanger when we bought the boat. The fuel tank seems fine (for now).

It seems to be the year of the hoses for us. We had a small leak on the bottom fitting of the hot water heater and replaced the fresh water filler hose from the deck that was old and leaking. There is also a leak in the foot pump in the galley. Our bilges are getting cleaned out with all that fresh water!

Steering system service - this is something we haven't done *yet.

Shannon & Doran

Frank Langer

Hi,
Steering service is one of the easier jobs, and does make a big difference in the feel of the steering, and probably helps it last longer too. It involves oiling the chain at the pedestal (underneath the compass, depending on your configuration), checking tension on the steering cable at the rudder post (not too tight, not too loose, about 3/4" play per foot of cable, I think), greasing the two zerk fittings on the rudder tube. If more courageous, you could loosen the steering cable to release tension on the two larger bronze sheaves, remove the cotter pin on the sheave clevis pin, to check the pin and the bronze bushing for wear.
All of this can be done in a couple hours with basic tools, little risk, and it does make a difference. :)
Frank

Last edited:

Frank Langer

Thanks Frank we appreciate it.

We had to replaced the heat exchanger when we bought the boat. The fuel tank seems fine (for now).

It seems to be the year of the hoses for us. We had a small leak on the bottom fitting of the hot water heater and replaced the fresh water filler hose from the deck that was old and leaking. There is also a leak in the foot pump in the galley. Our bilges are getting cleaned out with all that fresh water!

Steering system service - this is something we haven't done *yet.

Shannon & Doran

Frank Langer

Hi,
I had a leak in the galley foot pump a few years ago, and decided to rebuild the pump with their repair kit--a big mistake, as everything leaked afterwards, even though I was very careful and followed instructions. I bought a new pump at the chandler for not too much money, and it has worked fine since.
Frank

Teranodon

Member III
On the twenty fifth of last month I became the owner of an E34. I couldn't be happier! My plan is to live aboard, a dream come true. When I had the boat surveyed I was told that the Newtec propane control wasn't working properly. It was a consideration in the price negotiations. So, I'm not complaining. However, I'm stumped. Newtec is out of business and the unit I bought from West Marine is incompatible. I'm living aboard and can't cook dinner. Help.
Welcome to the exclusive fraternity of E34 owners. We're a lucky bunch, and a very busy bunch, too. Never a dull moment, it seems.

I bought my 1988 E34. six years ago. The stove used CNG, which I junked and installed propane from scratch. I use it for a Force 10 stove and a Dickinson heater. Getting the maximum size tank while cramming in a solenoid, plus the correct feedthroughs, took a little head-scratching. I'll take a picture next time I'm down on the boat. I believe the tank is 10lbs. I find that I use about 1lb per day for cooking and a couple of hours of heating. The solenoid controller/sniffer is a Xintex S1-A. Works fine. I check it once in a while with a butane lighter.

Frank Langer

Hi Shannon,
I'm attaching a pic of my propane locker, which includes a 10 lb. tank, solenoid, pressure gauge and regulator, the hose coming from the tank to a T fitting where one hose goes to the propane stove, the other to a propane heater. The gas shop staff was insistent that they had to be in that order - - solenoid, pressure gauge, regulator.
I hope that helps!
Frank

Attachments

• 20210404_105350.jpg
    20210404_105350.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210404_105343.jpg
    20210404_105343.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 18

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
Your incompatibility problem is probably the same one I found. I replaced a non-functional Newtec propane detector with a Xintex P-1BS propane sensor and solenoid control on our E34. The Newtec opened the solenoid in the propane locker by putting +12v on the single wire that leads to the propane locker. The other solenoid wire is connected to ground somewhere far away. The Xintex controller is designed to activate the propane solenoid by pulling a control wire to ground, so is incompatible with the current wiring.

The single wire to the propane locker leads through some very tight spaces up inside the aft cabin headliner, and I could not get a second wire to fit in the space. If I could run two wires directly from the controller to the solenoid, then it wouldn’t matter which way the propane controller worked. I also couldn’t find an alternate wire path that leads from the galley cabinet (where the propane controller is) to the propane locker.

I instead installed a relay inside a galley cabinet above the propane controller. It switches +12v onto the single existing control wire when the Xintex controller pulls its control wire to ground, and all works well again.

I also replaced the original Newtec propane detector at floor level under the stove with the detector that came with the Xintex controller. The wire leads were not long enough to reach, so I had to splice in extra wire (against Xintex’s advice).

Teranodon

Member III
Here's my E34 locker. Everything fits pretty snuggly. There are pieces of foam stuffed in to keep things from rattling around. I recommend using rated gastight feedthroughs for the propane and electrical lines. West Marine sells them.. I just don't think you want to mess with propane.

Propane locker.jpg

Frank Langer

Here's my E34 locker. Everything fits pretty snuggly. There are pieces of foam stuffed in to keep things from rattling around. I recommend using rated gastight feedthroughs for the propane and electrical lines. West Marine sells them.. I just don't think you want to mess with propane.

View attachment 38146
It's also important to use the yellow Teflon tape for gas, not the white, when making new connections for propane.
Frank

Hi Shannon,
I'm attaching a pic of my propane locker, which includes a 10 lb. tank, solenoid, pressure gauge and regulator, the hose coming from the tank to a T fitting where one hose goes to the propane stove, the other to a propane heater. The gas shop staff was insistent that they had to be in that order - - solenoid, pressure gauge, regulator.
I hope that helps!
Frank
Thanks Frank! Definitely helps. Doran is thinking he needs a smaller solenoid than he has to make it fit and looking at your set up it makes sense. Not much room in there. Ah the joys.

Hi,
I had a leak in the galley foot pump a few years ago, and decided to rebuild the pump with their repair kit--a big mistake, as everything leaked afterwards, even though I was very careful and followed instructions. I bought a new pump at the chandler for not too much money, and it has worked fine since.
Frank
Good tip. I think it is the age. Some things just need to be replaced.

TimTimmeh

Member II
When I first got my 34, the Newtec control would start intermittant beeping every time we used it, frustrated mute button pressing was part of the routine until I found the manual and realized it was a sniffer fault, traced the wires and found a bad connection. Now I use the butane lighter test every time I use it just in case.