• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

No battery for a drill driver

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
This should be filed under "Do not try this at home"

20131230_122804.jpg20131230_122812.jpg

While installing my solar panel, I realized that I had left my drill driver's 19.2v battery at home. Since home was 1.5 hours away, I tried to just use a screw to bore a hole into the fiberglass, and promptly bore a hole into my finger with the screwdriver. Then I thought about alternative sources of power for the drill. Luckily, I had a pair of alligator clip wires, and I was able to connect them to the correct terminals in the drill. The terminals in the drill each have two sides, I connected the alligator clips to the furthest side on each one. THEN, once I was sure they were secure and far enough apart not to transmit 680 cold cranking amps between them, I test hooked them up to the old deep cycle battery I had just replaced. It didn't spark or catch fire or anything, and the 12v from the battery turned the drill just fine, and just a little slower than normal. I was able to drill the holes normally being careful not to dislodge the wires. Oh yeah, it may have been 14v. I had a 1.8w battery maintainer solar panel hooked up to the battery.

:soapbox:Really though, if you do anything like this, be careful and use a fuse or something, there's a lot of power even in old batteries and you can get yourself killed. I had the wires connected for as little time as possible and was at least slightly aware of the danger. Lessons learned: First stop and think, maybe you can adapt a cigarette lighter that is fused; second, directly wire in a fuse; Third, use electrical tape between the contacts to prevent accidental touching of the energized wires even if it is fused.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Good job. Since up until last month, my boat was 1.5 hrs away (now 10 minutes :) ) I bought a cute little Li-ion 18V drill gun just to keep on the boat. But now I'm thinking that maybe I should have just got an old yankee drill or brace and bit set for it. No electrical complications. Nah... can't work a brace and bit with one hand while clinging to the top of the mast with the other hand. The only drawback is the home depot brand doesn't have a ring to attach a lanyard.

BTW: I've had a few of those sears/ryobi brand drill guns before. One of the huge old 24V ones I dropped off a 30-foot roof a couple of times when things went south and I had to grab for the harness rope. Of course it burst into five or six pieces. But snap and glue it back together and it just kept working fine the next day. Until they stopped making batteries for it. (I will never build a 12/12 pitch roof again. But meanwhile I still have to go up there once in a while.)

Last edited:

Second Star

Member III
No Battery Drill Driver

I did a more permanent arrangement for an old 12v Black and Decker once the battery went south, terminating the cord with a 12v auto plug with a fuse in it. Works quite well and no need to keep it charged up in storage!