• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

No bilge pump?

nvannelli

I found another oddity with my 36C ('78). I can't seem to find the bilge pump. I see no obvious plumbing to indicate there was one ever installed. I even had a local marine mechanic look around. He couldn't find it either.

I find it odd. If it is there, it is not working and very well hidden. Did they not put in electric/automatic bilge pumps in late 70s? Was it an optional component from the factory?

If I were to install one, I assume it should go in the deepest part of the bilge. However, I would really like to not add an additional through hull. I haven't fully investigated routing for plumbing. Is it okay to join with another system that has a through hull?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice anyone may have.

Stuphoto

Member III
I don't know about Ericson Yachts, but I know of a few boats from that era without bilge pumps.
I was even a part owner of a small Freedom 21 I believe was built in the early 80's without one.

From what I can tell Bilge pumps are always plumbed out above the waterline.
So just look at any above waterline thru hulls you can't identify and trace it back.
If you can't find one look for the best location to mount one.

My 25 has it routed under the original house battery bank, up into a cockpit locker and out the back.
Looking like a neat setup and well above the waterline, although it's a pain crawling into the locker to connect the hose to the thru hull.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
it's a pain crawling into the locker to connect the hose to the thru hull.
Ah Yep. We have two DC powered and one larger human powered. Three transom thru hulls. Crawling back into the stern area is challenging... that's one word for it, altho there are others...
:)
A friend of mine worked about 40 years in the truck repair business, and he always sez that some jobs required more "Working Words" than others !

Stuphoto

Member III
I did 6 years of ice roads, and I can tell you first hand that trucks can wait all year until it's -40 or you are in a flood zone ( not seen on the show ) before a truck will break down up there

I don't think my mom would have been proud of all the words I invented up there.
They would surely get anyone banned from this site.

However just like our boats, a little bit of preventive maintenance sure reduces the amount of issues along the way.
Up there most of the engine issues are caused by an aging cooling system, plugged filters and water in the fuel.
Pretty much the same as a boats engine.

Plus you will only have a starter or alternator burn out if you don't carry a spare and have the tools to change it.