• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

O-34 Rod rigging tension question

Listmates, I have rod rigging on my 1989 Olson 34 (built by Ericson). The leeward shrouds are pretty loose, though the mast seems to stay in column. I don't suppose tension gauges work for rod rigging. How do I decide how tight the rods should be?
Thanks in advance,
James Jones
Sunwood
Olson 34

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It will be interesting to see what info this question provokes...

I have wire rigging on our tall riig O-34 (standard equp.) but had Navtec rod on our prior boat, the Niagara 26. I always kept it tight and still had some slack in the lee shrouds on a beat. Since it was fractional rig with some "give" in the hull, I just lived with it.
:rolleyes:

I had a local rigger, http://www.bbmarinellc.com/, (and friend of rigging guru Brion Toss) tune our new standing rig after the re-rig last year. We no longer have any slack in the lee wires going to weather. I was told that the p.o. had it set up way too loose. (I had suspected this, but was unsure just how tight to tune it.)

Now I too wonder just how the pros measure the tension on rod. Interestingly enough, I do have *one* piece of rod in the whole rig: the short piece between the backstay adjuster and the SS tang on the lower transom.

Best,
Loren in PDX
O-34 #8 (1988 model)

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
After looking at the Toss video and getting a Loos "professional" gauge, I tuned my rig to the recommended 20% of the Ultimate Braking Strength (UBS) for the upper shrouds, 15% of UBS for the intermediate, and 10 to 11% of UBS for the lower (actually the forward lower is just a bit tighter than the aft lower, as recommended). I now have no slop in the shrouds when under sail.

Rod rigging tension

Thanks to all who have replied. Is the Loos tension meter readily available...any suggestions on where to buy it? Doesn't seem like the sort of thing West Marine would carry. Perhaps our racing performance would improve if the rig were tuned better.
Jim Jones
Olson 34
Seattle

Loos tension gauge

Listmates, I see West Marine does have the Loos tension gauge for rod rigging, for $240. There are two models, one for rod -4 to -12, one for -12 to -22. I have no idea how to determine what rod size I have in this scheme. Also, where do you get the Toss video? Thanks!

James Jones
Sunwood

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
a possible source for a Loos...

http://www.briontoss.com/

Here is the main URL for Brion. I have only spoken to him when I saw him at a boat show, but he seemed genuinely interested in my rigging questions.
Note that his site has a forum focused on rigging questions, "spartalk". He sells various rigging tools and books and videos through his web site.

Best,

Loren

Thanks for the URL, Loren,
I ordered my Toss video this am. When I can sort out which Loos rod rigging tension gauge I need, large or small, I think I'll order one of those.
Best,
James Jones
Sunwood
O-34

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I have wire rigging and the stays are larger diameter than the shrouds. Fortunately, my Loos gauge covers both diameters. Something to keep in mind when you go shopping. Also, I found this conversion table which should help you size yours (i.e. convert from rod size to metric diameter (so you will need a metric micrometer - I believe the "equivalent wire size" column shows how big wire would have to be be to get the same strength):
http://www.pyacht.net/cgi-local/Sof...cstore/h-navtec_nitronic_50_rod.htm?E+scstore

Last edited:
Thanks, Geoff, for the conversion table. I think I have a micrometer, but I doubt it is metric. I just viewed the Brion Toss video on rig tuning. Unfortunately, it does not address rod rigging. I don't think it is a given that you tune to the same percent of Ultimate Breaking Strength, for rod.Perhaps I'll have to bite the bullet and pay someone to help out. Brion Toss does consultations for a fee. At least, I'm a lot more knowledgeable about tuning now than I was before...
Jim Jones
O-34

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
First, why don't you contact one of the rod manufacturers or the West Marine rigging shop (which makes rod rigging). I had my hydraulic backstay adjuster rebuilt by them and they were great. I am sure they will help you. Good luck.

Also, as someone else mentioned, post your question in the Brian Toss forum on his web site. You will probably get a free answer from him.

Last edited:
Geoff,
Good advice. I went to the boat show on Sunday and talked to a couple of the rigging shops. I was told that with a fourteen year old rig, I should replace turnbuckles and re-head the rod, before tensioning it. Ideally, I might replace the rod, but that sounds expensive. So one of the shops is going to go by the boat and work up an estimate on the lesser job. Then, I expect I'll get at least a dockside tune as part of the job...
Best,
Jim Jones
Sunwood
O-34

Geoff,
How much did it cost to have your hydraulic backstay adjuster rebuilt? Mine still works fine, but it is getting increasingly difficult to read the gauge due to hazing probably caused by UV exposurre.
Jim Jones

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Keepin' The Pressure On...

I'm not Geoff, but....

I had my old Navtec hydrolic adjuster rebuilt twice. Once by a vendor reccommended by Navtec (Svensens in SF) and a second time by West Marine who sent it in to their central rebuild rigging shop (somewhere).
The first rebuild didn't last a year (!). Second one got me thru 4 years --and they replaced the face and readout of the guage (just UV damage).

I decided last year, as part of "the great re-rig", to source a new adjuster. I sold the old one cheap for its "core value" and bought a new one thru Sailnet.com. They could not get me a Navtec due to supply problems so I went for a Sailtec.
One other rigging note: the new backstay is slightly shorter because it now has a new turnbuckle on top of the Sailtec adjuster. This way I can tighten it up purdy good even if the adjuster goes south while I am out cruising...
This was suggested by our rigger -- a belt-and-suspenders approach, as it were.

Best,

Loren
1988 Olson 34 #8

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
As I recall, West Marine charged about $150, but I didn't have my gauge replaced (it's hard to read now, but I go by "feel" anyway). The rigger said the seals were about to fail. At the time the unit was about 15 years old and, AFAIK the prior owner had not had it serviced.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
If you are still looking for some guidance with rig tuning, please emai me directly and I can work it through with you.

Seth Morrell