• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

O34 Owners - Where is your water heater?

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
Hey guys it looks like my water heater was removed at some point. Assume it rotted out and prior race oriented owners were happy to shed the weight and move on.

For you guys that still have one, where is it located? I looks like there is A space in the port (Only) cockpit locker where it may have been. Pic attached.

Any recommendations on replacement brand/model?
9838F40E-A28E-4588-B566-6348858109D5.jpeg
Anyone relocate it to somewhere on the starboard side where it would aid in correcting the O34 port list?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It was on that shelf in front of the Holding tank. On ours the hoses to it led awkwardly around to the hidden front side. When I removed ours the inner tank had not leaked -yet - but the outer shell was rusting out noticeably.

I reduced the size (capacity) some and relocated it under the nav. seat. A 4 gallons ss tank (inner and shell) fit fine once I glassed in a plywood shelf for it. With my ever-reliable "20 20 hindsight" I should have found room somehow for a 5 or 6 gallon version. We do run out of hot water pretty quick the next day after anchoring.

The last picture in the row in this thread shows where I cut out the old factory shelf for the stock six gallon hot water tank.

Last edited:

Grizz

Grizz
Heater long gone, pulled by PO prior to purchase in 2010, no thoughts to replace, as it's been proven over the years to be unnecessary.

As to the 'Olson Port List', it pops up occasionally in this Forum and to date, I've chosen to remain mute, scratch my head and think "Huh?". When I initially heard of this, I made a point to check the lines upon arrival to the mooring (flat water, no waves, easy to sight inspect) and port/sb were essentially equal, with no readily apparent tilt to either side. This 'inspection' has continued over the years, w/ no discernible change.

In season fuel quantity in the tank (port side) ranges from 3-5 gallons, there's rarely any water in the water tank (starboard side) and sails (the few kept on the boat) are evenly distributed port/starboard aft of the mast. The anchor is secured also aft of the mast, beneath a fairly large cooler (also on center-line), which is secured to a pvc frame that's elevated just enough to allow stowage/access to the anchor.

There's not much in the lazerette: 2 dock lines, 2 spring lines, a spare halyard, box of SOLAS flares and the emergency tiller. We pump the holding tank on a regular basis, preferring to keep it empty, for a myriad of reasons! There may be another line or 2 I've forgotten. But not much.

So this 'list to port' phenomena remains a mystery. Not a spine tingling, page-turner mystery, but a mystery none-the-less.

Back to the sanctuary of the shop. Ugh.

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
Thanks for the quick answers guys. I guess I’ll contemplate whether it truly is needed or not.

FWIW mine does have a noticeable port list even with the water tank full and the fuel tank less than full. Not terrible, but enough that it slightly bothers my aesthetic sensibilities. My old Catalina 30 also had a similar level of port list, which I ultimately corrected by installing an 8D battery on the starboard side. I imagine that I’ll ultimately do something similar.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for the quick answers guys. I guess I’ll contemplate whether it truly is needed or not.

FWIW mine does have a noticeable port list even with the water tank full and the fuel tank less than full. Not terrible, but enough that it slightly bothers my aesthetic sensibilities. My old Catalina 30 also had a similar level of port list, which I ultimately corrected by installing an 8D battery on the starboard side. I imagine that I’ll ultimately do something similar.
Our had a slight port list from new. There is more interior furniture (head) on port side aft, and the hot water tank and holding tank is on that side. The first owner also had a heavy ferro-ressonat charger mounted on the back side of the head hanging locker, under the cockpit seat.
The only real weight on starboard is the water tank under the settee. Stock tank was 23 gallons. I replaced it with a 38 gallon SS tank.
I moved a replacement (modern, lighter) battery charger to the bulkhead in front of the aft cabin hanging locker.
I also removed that 3/4" heavy plywood shelf against the hull under the cockpit seat hatch, and replaced it with a honeycomb panel that weighs 2 or 3 pounds. All of the lids on the interior seat storage areas have been changed to honeycomb panels, except for a couple on the starboard side.

When our main big water tank is full, we float level.... ! And that's with the new 19 gallon fuel tank full, too.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
My E35 has two oversize and HEAVY marine batteries located under the port cabin settee just aft of the table. I estimate these batteries weigh 85#+ combined...wiring not included. This does not include the holding tank/head and fuel tank also on port side. My hot water heater does not exist for whatever reason.

67rway

Member II
Yes, I have your basic Atwood (I think) water heater on that wooden platform in the laz, forward of the holding tank. Super nice when cruising, but I have a bypass valve on it to keep the weight down otherwise (meaning racing).

She does have a very slight port list, more pronounced when the stbd side water tank is empty.

debonAir

Member III
I estimate these batteries weigh 85#+ combined...wiring not included. This does not include the holding tank/head and fuel tank also on port side. My hot water heater does not exist for whatever reason.

The AGM group 31 batteries weigh about 85lb *each*. I just replaced one and felt every pound (old one in for 12 years, not bad). At least I got to use a winch off-season.

My E35 hot water tank is behind the transmission under the pedestal, sitting in the only spot your body could fit to work in there. To me, having some hot water makes a huge difference in livability: quick shower after swim or cold damp sail, washing dishes, etc. Admiral likes it even more. Highly recommended for non racers.

Grizz

Grizz
Interesting that Shoe String was the Splash Screen this morning, with a renewed focus on how she was sitting in that picture, which was from 5+ years ago, lots of changes in the meantime. to my eye (always suspect) she appeared level, but my Jack Elam eye may have influenced that reaction (just kidding...)

The Group 31 item from debonAir triggered a different observation, as plans were in place to pull 1 of the Group 27's on board before the Mac and replace it with a Group 22 (maybe a 24) to serve as the dedicated backup engine start battery (Mac Safety Reg), with a weight saving of @ 30+ pounds. The use of "were in place" indicates that I believe it's probable an announcement will be made this Month that the race is cancelled, first time since WWI. Bummer.

But the concept of a Group 22 or 24 remains valid. All running lights and cabin lights have been changed to LED, except the Steaming/Deck Light (both still incandescent/halogen), but the steaming is used when the engine is running and the Deck Light is only used when we absolutely have to light the deck, so that need takes precedence over battery drain. The main battery draw is the B&G Chart Plotter, which is minimal and the Autopilot, wjich is rarely used while under sail and never used when racing. 1 Group 27 has proven to be sufficient for everything we run, swapping between Battry '1' and '2' during the season based on whether the month is even or odd. This system has worked for us for years.

But this swap is on hold now, pending...

Be safe. Take care.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding a "starting/emergency" battery -- I added a box under the aft cabin berth for this. Since there is no practical way to add water to cells we have a spiral cell AGM there. It's over a decade in age and holds charge with minimal discharge and test-starts the diesel a couple of times a season to test it. When I get a "round tu-it" I can add some pix to my blog, if there is any interest.
Since the wiring upgrade work for the new engine we even have a high-amp breaker for that battery, all nice and legal.
That weight is almost on centerline, but just a bit to port; so it did not make the list any worse. I do appreciate that the O-34 has the heavy house bank on CL, in front of the engine -- that's two Trojan T-145+. and they weigh about 80# each. 260 amp-hour.