• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Oil drain plug size?

stbdtack

Member III
Just wanting to install a quick drain hose on my 5432 (m-40) Universal. After 5 calls to Kubota/universal dealers including Torrenson, nobody seems to have a clue what the size/thread pitch is for the drain plug.
And yes I know I can take out the plug and check the size but Id rather have the replacement ready to go and deal with it only once. The universal part for the drain kit is around $100 but I can get a nice one from a non-marine supplier for $26. Catch is I need to know the size.
Did a search on here and found a nice pic from Loren of his drain but couldnt find any specs. I think it might be 12mm x 1.25?
Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Happy New Year!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Its not that easy, ask me how I know! The 5432 engine that I removed (killed by fuel dilution) had the drain hose you are speaking of and it worked very well. The new (used) engine I installed to replace it HAD A DIFFERENT SIZE DRAIN PLUG ON IT!

I only discovered this the day before I was to install the new engine. I did not want to go through the swapping of the oil pan just to make it work. I probably should have as sucking the oil out of the dipstick hole is a PITA. I never checked to see if they were the same, who would think they were not? The engines were identical otherwise.....

You will need a banjo bolt of the correct thread pitch to do this and the rest of the hardware, hose, etc. I would not trust that the published thread pitch is correct. Pull the drain plug and match it.

RT

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
The Universal 5432 engine has a V1501 Kubota block.

Kubota dealers like to have a tractor model number to use to look up parts. This engine was also used in the Kubota L345 series tractors. With this info you should be able to walk into a Kubota dealer and get the plug to measure. If there is more than one plug they should know about it.

I've done this for parts for my M-25XP.

Last edited:

stbdtack

Member III
Thx Tom, its a V1501-B and yes Rob its not very simple so far. I have the two piece pan you talked about. The 2 Kubota dealers I talked to had no idea what the size was. They had a part number but didnt have it in stock. Even if they did I'm not going drive 4 hours to measure it. Local Universal dealer same story. Special order only.

Guess Ill just wait until Im on the boat again and bring it home. Im not a big fan of banjo fittings so if I dont get the drain kit I may just tap the plug for a pipe barb and make my own.

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=oildrain

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Thx Tom, its a V1501-B and yes Rob its not very simple so far. I have the two piece pan you talked about. The 2 Kubota dealers I talked to had no idea what the size was. They had a part number but didnt have it in stock. Even if they did I'm not going drive 4 hours to measure it. Local Universal dealer same story. Special order only.

Guess Ill just wait until Im on the boat again and bring it home. Im not a big fan of banjo fittings so if I dont get the drain kit I may just tap the plug for a pipe barb and make my own.

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=oildrain

The only reason I mentioned the banjo fittings is that is how the old engine was setup. I assume it was a Universal setup?

RT

stbdtack

Member III
Yep Rob, thats what the OEM Kubota part is. Im sure its fine, just seems simpler to have one less joint to seal. (and they want way too much for the part) I'm taking your advice and pulling the plug to match it up. Just hate having the engine inop while i figure it out... Too cold to sail now anyway I guess :)

Glyn Judson

Drain hose for your engine.

Ben, Don't know if this will help but here goes anyway. After determining the size of your threads, you might want to call a chap named Mike at 954.522.0882. He's a tech rep at Reverso pumps and I was curious how to attach a fitting to a drain plug for your application avoiding the use of a banjo fitting so I called them and he's the man to talk to. Apparently Reverso bought and made these fittings available for all brands of engine but it got out of hand so they gave up on offering them. That said, he told me that he could probably dig up the fitting (barb or street ell, I really don't know????) you need if you were to supply him with the thread size. He stressed that you ask for him as the others there wouldn't know how to help you. Translation: They're too young!!! On another related topic, I have a Reverso oil change pump in the boat and it's great. It takes way less than five minutes to do an oil change. Flip the switch one way and it pumps out all the old hot oil, flip the switch the other way and it delivers the new oil. Yes, they're pricy but work as advertised, waaay better than the first one I installed, a $100.00 Quik-Change brand as I recall. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

stbdtack

Member III
Hey Glyn, Thanks for that info! I noticed all those kits seemed to disappear from websites. The reverso pump is nice. I have one installed on my other sailboat with a Perkins engine and like you said its such a breeze to pump old oil out then new oil back in. I keep the empty plastic gallon jugs for the next change.

I have a portable 12v oil pump so I just want to have the hose with a cap on it that I can connect when I change the oil once a year.

That first link I posted has the fittings if I know the size. Im guessing they are brass which is not my first choice for a really important fitting. Thats why Im thinking of just drilling and tapping the plug for a steel or bronze hose barb. I can get steel drain plugs all day long for $1....If i know the thread size:rolleyes:

Ill prob call your guy and see if they have a fitting in bronze. I remember seeing them in a catalog and they were one piece and good-looking....

stbdtack

Member III
got it out...

Quick update. Finally got back to the boat. Pumped out the oil out thru the dipstick tube. As usual spent lots of time and got it all (i thought). Had to fight with the drain plug one-handed but persuaded it to come loose. Folded a disposable roasting pan flat and slid it under the motor then folded it open again.

Smug with my cleverness, I pulled the plug and another 2.5 quarts came out and of course spilled over the edge of the roasting pan. Oh well the engine sump pan needed cleaning anyway.

If anybody cares the drain plug is a 12mm x 1.25 thread with a 19mm hex head. Now to decide what to replace it with. I will call Glyns guy now that I'm sure of the size. Im leaning towards drilling the plug out and tapping in a steel or bronze hose barb for a piece of premium fuel hose. Will be so glad not to have to deal with a messy oil change again:)

Last edited:

lindaloo

Member II
Don't skimp

Ben, this really is a critical application. A steel fitting would be preferred, sourced from an industrial supply house rather than a plumbing supply. I wouldn't use a fuel hose but a hose suitable for a remote spin on oil filter, for example (even though it is not pressured, or flowing). A hydraulic type hose maybe. Go to your local Aeroquip dealer. Wall thickness and wire reinforcing will provide great chafe protection, because it will chafe.

Make sure the hose is capped and well secured to the engine or bulkhead between oil changes.

Rob L.

E34, Alia

stbdtack

Member III
Hey Rob,
Ill prob use a steel flare fitting. I get only quality stuff usually from mcmaster carr. I like the prem grey fuel line because its really thick walled. My fuel system hoses have run for many years at about 4 psi with no failures. I can swage on ferrules in my shop for a reliable connection. Free end gets a flared plug and will be fixed up higher than the engine.
Hydraulic hose would be good too. I have a place close by that made new stainless braided hoses for my watermaker. Was pricey but very durable stuff. Ill check out that option too.
Thx for the input!

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, on my E-34 for chafe protection they encased the drain hose in clear vinyl hose. Cheap, and it has lasted twenty something years.

Attachments

• M-25XP 005 C.jpg
    M-25XP 005 C.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 121