• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

oil for atomic 4

steven

Sustaining Member
Mechanic did oil change in past and I did not pay much attention to what he used.
Changing oil myself this year.

Is this the right stuff ? Year round on Chesapeake.

(I know there are threads on this Forum but cannot find them.
Moyer threads are a bit confusing but I think SAE30 Non-detergent was the bottom line)

thanks
1592424827199.png

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
When I started, everyone swore Shell Rotella (for diesel motors) 15w-40 was the ticket. I have it in stock, so I used that. Oil pressure seems OK in normal use - maybe a tad low when it warms up.

Vacuum oil extractor is the ticket. Don't leave home (to change the oil) without it. Also great for many small engines and sports cars around the place. Forget about the little hand pumps and such unless a little masochism is needed.
11047123_1500.19062018120003.jpg

You may already know the story, but allegedly, the A4 has a problem with oil temperature/viscosity on extended runs. Which may not be a problem for most sailboats, but sometimes ya just gotta motor. Theory and proposed solution here. I've actually purchased the gadget but haven't got around to figuring out where it's gonna go. Or actually the web of hoses that it requires.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
SAE 30 nondetergent was the OEM recommendation, but that was made before the advent of detergent oils. Moyer's current recommendation is SAE 30 with detergent, or 10W30 with detergent, which is almost exactly the same as single-weight 30 in the temperatures in which boats are operated.

I use a "Topsider" hand-vacuum pump, $50, for removal. The vacuum feature is KEY compared to piston-style pumps; you don't have to exert arm pressure to pull every cc of oil out of that sump. Works well enough with cold oil but works VERY well with warm oil. The taller types Toddster shows are nice but they're a little awkward to move around and aren't worth the additional cost IMO.

steven

Sustaining Member
thanks. any feelings about "high mileage" v conventional. In any case I am staying away from synthetic.

Jenkins

Member II
I have the tall extractor and would definitely go for the shorter more stable one (like the topsider) if given a second chance. The tall one is ok for cars but is a bit tricky to transport back and forth to the boat - you need to wedge an oily tall cylinder somewhere in your car - and I have nearly knocked it over a few times. Maybe I am clumsy?

however, these extractors are awesome tools. Work on cars, mowers, etc. I also used mine to wash out an oily bilge. Fill bilge with warm soapy water, wash, extract liquid with extractor, rinse and repeat. Dumped dirty fluid into a large plastic bucket and took it to the recycling centre for proper disposal.

Peter

Last edited: