• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

OK Electrical Gods I Need HELP!

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Here is the deal: My E35-2 is finally getting some much needed help in the power creation and storage department. I have replaced the 2 group 24 batteries with 4 group 31s. I have a 3 bank (10-5-10) charger to install and plan to eventually add both a wind generator and solar panels. Now it starts to get tricky. I also have a 1800 watt inverter to add to the system and it requires a 24 volt input. I know that I can get 24 volts by simply putting 2 of the 31s in series and can charge them by using 2 banks off the charger. However, as the ac needs are limited (microwave, computer, tv) I would like to be able to switch the batteries from use as 24 volts to 12 without a major hassle. A ground side selecting switch of some sort would be nice. Also, as I currently am wired with one battery bank for each battery and use one for the house and one for the engine and like it that way. Were I to use the the 2 10a legs for the 24v batteries that leaves only one 5a leg to charge the house and nothing for the engine without combining them. Then adding other forms of charging only complicates matters and the engine alternator is not up to charging the two 31s if they are tied in series. Is there a simple answer to making all this work together besides chucking the inverter and finding one that will work on a 12v input? As always thanks in advance, Edd

Maine Sail

Member III
Ed,

You would honestly be best served to use a 12V inverter. The potential for "HEF" (human error factor) with the number of switches required to do what you want to do could easily cost you more money than you saved. Feed some expensive electronics 24 volts just once, if they are not designed for it, and they may be toast.

Inverters have come WAY down in price and a Xantrex ProWatt SW 2000W Pure Sine inverter can now be had for $324.00 (ProWatt SW 2000 LINK)

With the price of electrical components and wire these days you could easily exceed the cost of a new 12V inverter trying to do what you want to do and could still open up a huge window for HEF.

You'd don't say what size your alternator currently is. It may be fine for charging your bank just slower than a bigger alt. If you regularly sail off a dock this may not be a big issue unless you use the inverter a lot..

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
that is what I figure too. I am notsure what the P/O had in mind when he collected parts. they probably never got installed could he could not figure a good way to make them fit either. Does anyone need a new 24v inverter out there? Cheep! Edd