• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Old Autohelm 4000 Control Head With New Raymarine EV-100 Wheel ?

JSM

Member III
My ancient Autohelm 4000 wheel pilot no longer works unless he clutch lever is held in place with a bungee cord. So far I have changed the belt and the idler/tension wheel and fiddled with the adjustment screw to no avail. I have finally come to the conclusion that after 30 years its probably time for a new one.
Does anyone know if the new Raymarine EV-100 wheel will work with the old Autohelm 4000 control head ?

ddoles

Member III
Before I did a complete upgrade, my old Autohelm wheel unit broke apart. I replaced the wheel unit with the EV-100 wheel and kept the old Autohelm control head. It worked fine. Eventually I did install the complete EV-100 system and would highly recommend it. The enhanced motion sensor and computer control does a much better job of course keeping under a variety of conditions. But naturally you will spend more, and there is more rewiring involved, which is what held me back initially.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
4000 wheel

This unit was professionally rebuilt.

Attachments

• 4000 Wheel II (640x480).jpg
    4000 Wheel II (640x480).jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 4000 Wheel I (640x480).jpg
    4000 Wheel I (640x480).jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 4

Second Star

Member III
If belt tension is the issue the replacement belt could be the problem ..... When my wheel pilot belt broke on my older unit, I had to order a belt via the internet as OEM didn't exist. Although on first glance it seemed the right size, it was about 1/4 inch too big in circumference, too big for the adjustment screw to properly compensate. I cut rings from plastic irrigation pipe and using a heat gun, sweated them over the clutch engagement wheels to increase their diameter. I worked well and I saved the cost of a new A/P

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
JSM< for what it's worth I paid $1000 for a complete new EV-100 wheel, head, everything at West using their price matching policy. I printed an ad from some Hong Kong dealer selling it for that price. West gulped and honored it. Might I suggest get the whole thing new and be done with it.

JSM

Member III
Thanks everyone for the input. Good to know that I have some options. Afrakes pm sent.