• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Old Sailing Movie Now on Amazon Prime

kapnkd

kapnkd
We’ve all seen “Wind” probably many times over the years ...and in spite of a “Top Gun” type plot, we LOVE it for the great sailing actions captured so well on camera and enjoy it over and over. (Still want that “Whomper” sail! :egrin::egrin::egrin:)

Anyway, THIS month on Amazon Prime it is now listed for us for viewing pleasure on those rainy day/stormy times stuck at home.

Sure wish it was available earlier on during quarantine! :egrin:

Take an evening, relax and enjoy a reminder of the excitement and pleasure of why we sail.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks! I confess I've not yet seen it. But I've added it to my watch list.

Also, Shackelton's Captain, a docudrama, was quite good I thought.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thanks! I confess I've not yet seen it. But I've added it to my watch list.

Also, Shackelton's Captain, a docudrama, was quite good I thought.
Thanks for the tip! ...You’re going to enjoy Wind then I’m sure!

Just started another AP sailing movie called “Hide Away”. Main character buys an old sailboat in bad shape and starts trying to fix it up. (We can ALL relate!) Interesting so far.

Maybe others can/will recommend other good sailing movies as well??

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks for the tip! ...You’re going to enjoy Wind then I’m sure!

Just started another AP sailing movie called “Hide Away”. Main character buys an old sailboat in bad shape and starts trying to fix it up. (We can ALL relate!) Interesting so far.

Maybe others can/will recommend other good sailing movies as well??
Give us a movie review of Hide Away after you've seen it so I'll know whether to add it to my watch list as well! :)

kapnkd

kapnkd
Give us a movie review of Hide Away after you've seen it so I'll know whether to add it to my watch list as well! :)

Just finished it. Basically it follows the story of a successful businessman trying to resurrect his life. He’s a broken hearted and haunted man who buys a dilapidated wooden sailboat to restore. His trials and tribulations are those we can all relate to but I was disappointed with the overall plot not offering more salvation or purpose to his efforts.

There was a bit of a romantic interlude as well but the ending left it hanging in the air as well when he simply sold his restored vessel as the movie ended.

...A bit disappointing as there were no scenes of him sailing his boat at all to simply enjoy all his hard work.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Just finished it. Basically it follows the story of a successful businessman trying to resurrect his life. He’s a broken hearted and haunted man who buys a dilapidated wooden sailboat to restore. His trials and tribulations are those we can all relate to but I was disappointed with the overall plot not offering more salvation or purpose to his efforts.

There was a bit of a romantic interlude as well but the ending left it hanging in the air as well when he simply sold his restored vessel as the movie ended.

...A bit disappointing as there were no scenes of him sailing his boat at all to simply enjoy all his hard work.
Thanks for the report. I'll pass on that one, I guess....

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I'm going to look for "Wind" and watch it! As long as it isn't like that other great sailing movie (tongue in cheek now) "All Is Lost" starring Robert Redford unless you like to watch unintentional comedies.

kapnkd

kapnkd
I'm going to look for "Wind" and watch it! As long as it isn't like that other great sailing movie (tongue in cheek now) "All Is Lost" starring Robert Redford unless you like to watch unintentional comedies.

Not at all like Redford’s movie (Thank Goodness). As stated before, the overall plot isn’t the best but the sailing action and filming of it is great!

hanareddy

Member II

Ugh! But does it show him rebedding hardware? Because I would really get a lot of pleasure from watching that. And romance...obviously the boat overwhelmed him, so he sought a distraction. He should have stayed focused! I may put this movie on while I flush out the freshwater today (using my phone as a hotspot). Thanks!

Teranodon

Member III
"The Riddle of the Sands" is on Amazon. Also "The Caine Mutiny" and the old "Mutiny on the Bounty", although you have to pay a couple of bucks for those.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Captains Courageous," 1937--Now here's a good movie--and restored, not blurry YouTube trailer footage as below

Some fine footage of real Gloucester schooners on the race home. And if you don't cheer and blubber over Kipling's story, you ain;t flesh.