• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Older Ericsons.

brian t

Greetings, ( new to this ) My father-in-law owned a 30' Ericson and used it on Long Island Sound ( from the CT side ). He left sailing in roughly '78'. ( wifes passing ) If it was a 30 and not a 29 would it have been built by the original Ericson designers or later ones. He purchased the sailboat around 75/76 probably sounds like a stupid ques. I sailed a catamaran and now would like to learn bigger. ( ripe old age of 65 ) any thoughts also on a good size for the wife/me. possible a overnighter. Thank you for reading and helping a old Coastie.

Lucky Dog

Member III
Welcome aboard!I too have sailed Hobies for many years, still won't give up our 17. We bought a "good old boat" / needs work e35II. Couldn't be happier. I was looking the Stonehorse 23, but I was told it was too much like camping. I use to strap dry bags onto the Hobie for weekend trips.Ask away someone will answer.ml

PDX

Member III
Greetings, ( new to this ) My father-in-law owned a 30' Ericson and used it on Long Island Sound ( from the CT side ). He left sailing in roughly '78'. ( wifes passing ) If it was a 30 and not a 29 would it have been built by the original Ericson designers or later ones. He purchased the sailboat around 75/76 probably sounds like a stupid ques. I sailed a catamaran and now would like to learn bigger. ( ripe old age of 65 ) any thoughts also on a good size for the wife/me. possible a overnighter. Thank you for reading and helping a old Coastie.

The original E-30 was built from 1967 to 1969. There are 1970 models but I believe they were left over stock. The original E-29 came immediately after that, lasting into the late 1970s. Both boats were designed by Bruce King. The "built by" question is difficult to answer. Ericson changed hands several times, the factory was moved from Orange, California, where the E-30 was built to Santa Ana (?). The E-30 was stick built with in line bulkheads. The E-29 was pan built with offset bulkheads. Whether the same people were in change of production techniques during this period I can't answer.

brian t

Thank You ( both )

I do not know if he bought his 30' Ericson new I presume not. I do not remember how it was laid out. I do remember however that it sailed like a dream and he hated to give it up. I would love to be accomplished enough to sail one ( purchase of course ) myself sort of like a gesture to him in memorium. I thank you both for the comments. I did as I stated have a catamaran he loved to sail ( it was a Aquacat ) very simple. Thanks again.