• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Opinions on an E35-2

garryh

Member III
there was a whole long thread here on this very question on this very boat just a few weeks ago.

garryh

Member III
and... wet decks and rotted main bulkheads, mast step area and bottom of compression post are the major potential structural issues with these boats.
Lovely looking boat

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it's the right model for your needs, you could view this potential purchase dispassionately as: buying a new engine, installed, and getting the rest of the boat for free. :)
Still likely needing your labor as much as your money. IIRC the major concern in this model is the starboard chainplate connection to the bulkhead. Nothing wrong with the design, just a place where water will penetrate down and cause rot IF ignored by a succession of prior owners. Wet coring in a deck is another place where Preventative Maintenance easily *prevents* a labor-intensive problem after 20 or more years, in any boat. I am presently in the middle of re-bedding all of our deck fittings (our coring is dry) and it's tedious work, altho pretty low tech. Even an amateur like me can learn the steps.
Do you have access to photos of the chainplates inside? Has the deck been sounded and 'read' with a moisture meter?

Sidebar: ALL boats are sold eventually..... "at a loss", financially speaking! :devil: Owning a sailboat should not be confused with "investing" altho the non-monetary rewards can be life changing.... !

"Comments" value now reduced to $.01 as a holiday special price. :)

garryh

Member III
here is the previous thread (I think)
Your Seller mentions rebedding chainplates... 45+ year old chainplates really should have been replaced, at least the mains. Also all standing rigging.