• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Orcas in Portugal sink boat

dhill

Member III

Several sailboat cruising channels (SailLife, Sailing Project Atticus, etc.) have mentioned that Orcas are attacking sailboat rudders. I have heard of several sailboats incapacitated by broken rudders, but this is the first instance I've heard of a boat actually sinking. Apparently, scientists believe this behavior is learned and limited (for the moment) to the pod of juvenile whales off of Portugal playing with rudders as a game. I have heard reports of Orca ramming rudders off Portugal, but in this case, it looks like the rudder was chewed off.

I hope this isn't an ongoing trend or one that spreads to other pods. Otherwise, if you are near Portugal, be careful to check where Orca incidents have recently occurred.

Dave

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I’ve read someplace that some sailor’s transiting the Orca “territory” turn off every electronic device (auto helm, depth sounder, ever frig) to make the boat as ”quiet” as possible. It’s strange but also fortunate that Orca boat attacks seem to happen mostly off Portugal and no where else but then maybe other attacks don’t make the news too much.