• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Original Sheer & Boot Stripe color options on the E35-MII

jkfuller10

Is there a color chart or listing of the original stipe (sheer and boot)
colors for the E35-MII??

We're about to begin restoration project and would like to be as "period-correct" as possible.

Much Appreciated,

JK Fuller
Newport Beach, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Probably not too much help, but when I was selling some smaller boats for a NW builder in the early 80's, I was ordering off of the Ferro color chart. That company may be long gone now, but their product was in wide use throughout the industry then. Also, and more important, every 'lot' of gel coat is slightly different than the look of the same named color in the previous lot. (sigh)
It's been a long long time.........

If you know what you want it to look like, you will probably end up choosing from hundreds (!) of related shades from a huge Book from a company like Awlgrip. I spent quite a bit of time and pondering when choosing a proper waterline stripe (Ericson blue, close to) and then a close relative to the OEM "Olson light blue" hull color. FWIW, if you are really close, NO one will ever know. :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Let me re-emphasize using a glossy paper chip chart, as provided by Awlgrip for example (i.e., not a printout) . Also, various lights change everything. Try multiple chips (of the same color) taped in various positions along the cove stripe. Elaborate but kinda fun, and I changed my mind nine times from dawn to dusk.

In the end I wound up restoring my original cove and boot. A boat waxer showed what he could do with compound and polish--the result was amazing. I'll post a picture this weekend.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
If I could jump in with a question....what about determining the original location of the boot stripe? On my new to me 35-2, the sheer stripe is raised and a nice blue. The boot stripe is the same blue but very obviously paint. The bottom paint is brought right up to the boot stripe and is raised like the sheer stripe but it could possibly be years of bottom paint, I don't know. Splashing tomorrow and I want to know that it's sitting on it's (original) lines once I begin moving/removing gear and unnecessaries out of the cockpit locker and lazerette. I think it may look a little down by the head once that happens.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For what it's worth, my bottom paint is also raised to the boot top, eliminating the white gap. Apparently some/many Ericsons have put on weight since the test tank in Irvine.

This haulout I asked the yard to grind down the funny margin under the boot. They said I was just looking at old paint, which fades differently in the UV, as opposed to bottom paint lower down. Turned out they were right, and there was no phantom line, and new bottom paint was all that was required.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
Thanks, sounds like mine is the same. I went in the water on Friday and am just going to trim to the paint that's there. Is your boot stripe paint or gelcoat?
With the engine under the companionway, radar on the stern pulpit next to the outboard davit, older, heavy solar panels on the bimini (and a bimini!), and the reserve battery bank in the stbd cockpit locker I've got some work ahead.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We moved the factory WL stripe up about 4 inches during the re-paint layout. Now the bottom paint comes up to the relocated stripe color.
Previously, for many many years, I had moved the top of the bottom paint up about an inch into the factory blue gel coat stripe color.
When we bought it there was some slime growing on the one inch of hull color below that WL stripe.
(Perhaps we have way too much 'stuff' in the boat? Maybe... ?)
:)

FWIW, when most of the spares and cruising bits were removed, it did float closer to the original molded-in stripe. Of course, like all FRP boats, it does gain some weight from water absorption into the gel coat, also.
i.e. it floats a tad lower after 6 months in the water.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I feel like the boot stripe would be gelcoat from the factory, and like on your boat was moved up and painted to match. I wonder if there's any specs as to the height of the bow/stern off the water.
I hear you on the 'stuff'

beachologist

Member I
When we first got our 35-2 we had all the old bottom paint blasted off. The original boot strip was gelcoated a light forest green.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
How does this look to others? Ignoring the boot stripe - which IMHO has been "adjusted" , it seems to me that the cabin top could be more level, and the mast more plumb, meaning the bow needs to come down and the stern up.

Attachments

• 20210724_090332.jpg
    20210724_090332.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 17