• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Origo Stove may be back in production

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

This article just appeared in Practical Boat Owner. The author claims to have found a recent manufacturer of the original Origo 3000 cooker.
If true, that's very good news.
Our boat has the Ericson-installed Origo 6000 range, which is the model 3000 mated to an oven, in one gimbaled unit. We like it a lot.

(I have no idea what the ins and outs are of ordering from Germany, but I have previously bought some boat parts from a UK chandler, and delivery was fast and reasonable. )

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner

This article just appeared in Practical Boat Owner. The author claims to have found a recent manufacturer of the original Origo 3000 cooker.
If true, that's very good news.
Our boat has the Ericson-installed Origo 6000 range, which is the model 3000 mated to an oven, in one gimbaled unit. We like it a lot.

(I have no idea what the ins and outs are of ordering from Germany, but I have previously bought some boat parts from a UK chandler, and delivery was fast and reasonable. )
That would be good news. But granting that these stoves are essentially indestructible, the prospect of me ever needing to order a replacement is almost nil.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
For me the Origo 6000 would be my first choice to replace my CNG. I was very disappointed when production stopped.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I'm very interested in this because I've been wanting to pull the old Force 10 propane stove top/oven from my E32-3. It's seen better days and sometimes won't light by way of the spark ignitors which I can't replace cause they're no long available. I was going to replace it with a cabinet modification where I would install a ENO 2 or three burner cooktop. I was thinking of either doing a non-gimbaling setup that would slide into the space of the old stove or making a cabinet that would ride on the the existing gimbals just like the existing stove does. There would be a small microwave and storage below the cook top. I could just install a used Origo or new Spirit stove top and leave the propane hose, sensor, wiring, etc. just in case a future owner wants to go back to propane.

We'e used the oven once in 16 years and only cooked hot dogs once while motoring in the Chesapeake Bay where all of our sailing is done. All of our hot meals are done at the dock or at anchor where the gimbal is never used. I use to have an alcohol stove similar to the Origo in my previous boat, a Hunter 285, and it functioned well without a problem and it was already old when I bought the boat. Being the paranoid sailor I can sometimes be, I would load the canisters up on the dock and never in the boat because I spilled the alcohol on board one time. :oops:

The only other issue I see would be where to store the extra fuel which would probably go into the unused propane locker. Would love to see if anyone has any photos of how they modified the galley along the lines of what I wrote above.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
According to their website they only ship to Great Britain, Ireland, and the Channel Islands unfortunately :(

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I'm very interested in this because I've been wanting to pull the old Force 10 propane stove top/oven from my E32-3. It's seen better days and sometimes won't light by way of the spark ignitors which I can't replace cause they're no long available. I was going to replace it with a cabinet modification where I would install a ENO 2 or three burner cooktop. I was thinking of either doing a non-gimbaling setup that would slide into the space of the old stove or making a cabinet that would ride on the the existing gimbals just like the existing stove does. There would be a small microwave and storage below the cook top. I could just install a used Origo or new Spirit stove top and leave the propane hose, sensor, wiring, etc. just in case a future owner wants to go back to propane.

We'e used the oven once in 16 years and only cooked hot dogs once while motoring in the Chesapeake Bay where all of our sailing is done. All of our hot meals are done at the dock or at anchor where the gimbal is never used. I use to have an alcohol stove similar to the Origo in my previous boat, a Hunter 285, and it functioned well without a problem and it was already old when I bought the boat. Being the paranoid sailor I can sometimes be, I would load the canisters up on the dock and never in the boat because I spilled the alcohol on board one time. :oops:

The only other issue I see would be where to store the extra fuel which would probably go into the unused propane locker. Would love to see if anyone has any photos of how they modified the galley along the lines of what I wrote above.
I like this idea. I use the oven to make cornbread and biscuits and to cook frozen French bread pizza, but only because it is there, I don't consider the oven a necessity.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Just talked to someone at a marine supply company in Canada about a line of non-pressurized alcohol stoves because I found a PDF sales flyer on line with their phone number and stoves pictured that looked exactly like the old Origo but were labeled as "Cookmate"on the sales sheet. The sales person I spoke to said that they stopped making them (we knew that) because of the increasing number of accidental fires by people who were trying to fill the alcohol canisters while they were still lighted and couldn't see the flames. (Dumb). She doubts that the stoves will ever
be offered for sale again in the USA or Canada.
CookMateflyer_000.jpg

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Just talked to someone at a marine supply company in Canada about a line of non-pressurized alcohol stoves because I found a PDF sales flyer on line with their phone number and stoves pictured that looked exactly like the old Origo but were labeled as "Cookmate"on the sales sheet. The sales person I spoke to said that they stopped making them (we knew that) because of the increasing number of accidental fires by people who were trying to fill the alcohol canisters while they were still lighted and couldn't see the flames. (Dumb). She doubts that the stoves will ever
be offered for sale again in the USA or Canada.
View attachment 42542
I have a Cookmate 4200 two-burner cooktop. It is a well-built Origo clone. I see no difference between it and an Origo. Mine has held up well. But as you note, they are no longer for sale, and have been out of production for even longer than the Origo.

I don't get the oft-repeated comment about the flame being invisible. I have no problem seeing the flame on mine. But that anyone would try to fill a canister that is still hot much less actually lit is bizarre. Those stoves are incredibly safe and as simple to use as anything can be. It is also one of the few truly maintenance-free, indestructible items on my boat. Like the proverbial cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear conflagration, I'm betting that this stove will be the one thing that will continue working long after my boat and I are both in a landfill. But I suppose if someone is hell-bent on burning down a boat, he or she will somehow find a way to do it.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I have a Cookmate 4200 two-burner cooktop. It is a well-built Origo clone. I see no difference between it and an Origo. Mine has held up well. But as you note, they are no longer for sale, and have been out of production for even longer than the Origo.

I don't get the oft-repeated comment about the flame being invisible. I have no problem seeing the flame on mine. But that anyone would try to fill a canister that is still hot much less actually lit is bizarre. Those stoves are incredibly safe and as simple to use as anything can be. It is also one of the few truly maintenance-free, indestructible items on my boat. Like the proverbial cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear conflagration, I'm betting that this stove will be the one thing that will continue working long after my boat and I are both in a landfill. But I suppose if someone is hell-bent on burning down a boat, he or she will somehow find a way to do it.
I agree Alan. I had the recessed version of the alcohol stove (like the 4200 version in the flyer I attached to my original post) which was in my first boat, a Hunter 285. It worked great and I could see the flame too. But I was a bit paranoid about filling the canisters in the cabin and always re-filled in the cockpit if necessary when at anchor but mostly on the dock. Just used a little common sense which is in short supply these days with some people who want to have everything risk free and not responsible for their dumb choices in life.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just used a little common sense which is in short supply these days with some people who want to have everything risk free and not responsible for their dumb choices in life.
So darned true. And, so sad.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Recently started watching “Sailing Triteia” on YouTube presented by a guy named James. One of his last videos showed him in Hawaii preparing to move on to the South Pacific, as part of his “slow circumnavigation of the world” as he calls it, where he converted his alcohol stove (looked like an Origo) into an all electric stove and oven. Interesting video but one of the reason he gave for the conversion was that denatured alcohol fuel is almost impossible to come by in the South Pacific because the locals use it to make their own version of “moonshine” or in some cases drink it right out of the bottle which can cause blindness. I can’t verify his claim but if true then it might be another reason the Origo type stoves may not be coming to the USA.

Slick470

Member III
If anyone is looking for one, there is a marine salvage store on the Chesapeake bay called Anchors and Oars that has an Origo 3000 for sale for $350. They don't have a website, but they do have a Facebook page and posted the stove there this morning. https://www.facebook.com/anchorsoars

Slick470

Member III
Looks nice and a decent price.
Bob, for us Chesapeake Bay sailors Anchors and Oars is a bit of a hidden gem. They are primarily a nautical décor type place but one of the owners has gotten into parting out old, derelict, or damaged boats and selling off the parts for decent prices. I got a seemingly new (but used) engine control panel from them last year for a steal compared to new. Business must be good as they've opened up another location further south. Bacon's has been a go-to for a long time, but these guys are also worth a look too.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Bob, for us Chesapeake Bay sailors Anchors and Oars is a bit of a hidden gem. They are primarily a nautical décor type place but one of the owners has gotten into parting out old, derelict, or damaged boats and selling off the parts for decent prices. I got a seemingly new (but used) engine control panel from them last year for a steal compared to new. Business must be good as they've opened up another location further south. Bacon's has been a go-to for a long time, but these guys are also worth a look too.
I’ll definitely have to check them out especially since they’re so close to Annapolis.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Just used a little common sense which is in short supply these days with some people who want to have everything risk free and not responsible for their dumb choices in life.
I 100% agree. that’s why I choose to not ever bring any alcohol cooking device aboard my vessel.

Alcohol only belongs in a bottle or the stomach! :p

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Apropos of Whatever, I have walked the dock, the next morning after a propane explosion on a 36 foot sloop. The entire deck was peeled back and, at 180 degrees, was laying over the headwalk in front of the the moored boat. Kind of like the attached lid on a can that had a can opener applied to it. No fire, just a mighty explosion. Occupants lived, but suffered great injuries when the cabin sole (under which had accumulated the escaped propane gas) lifted straight up in the first millisecond of the blast.

While everyone "knows" the precautions to be observed with propane on a boat, seeing the result is memorable and sobering.
Alcohol? Yeah, it has some dangers too. Friend of mine was on another boat up in Puget Sound when the crew of a sailboat had to all jump over the side due to an uncontrolled galley fire caused by a a leak in their pressured galley stove.

While all fuels have dangers, I find that the small amount of common sense needed to use the no-pressure Origo stove puts it at the near-zero risk end of the scale. (We liked the propane system on our prior boat, but kept a vigilant and wary eye on the whole system of remote shut-off and the propane sensor & alarm. Tested it regularly.

We do have some rum on board.... medicinal purposes, be assured :)