• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Our E25 Hull #377 purchase and maiden voyage

klb67pgh

Member III
As I mentioned in my for sale/wanted post, I posted in early July to see if anyone knew of an E25 on a trailer for sale, as we had finally decided to make the jump from a daysailer to a cabin boat and an E25 had been on my want list ever since I discovered the Oystercatcher refit blog about 4 years ago. In short, based on pictures, a video tour, and multiple exchanges with Greg, the now prior owner, I rented a truck and traveled from Western PA to Salem, MA with the intent of bringing #377 home. I saw nothing during my inspection that gave me any great concern that the boat was anything other than as represented or better and in overall great condition, and a boat we could sail now and work on various smaller projects over time and in the off-season. The boat and trailer had several specific appealing upgrades that made this boat, in my mind, the one to get. We brought her home on August 10th and I spent that week power washing her hull, getting the various items and trim that came with the boat back on/in her, and getting her ready to launch, which we did on August 16th. I decided to defer our maiden voyage (beyond the short trip from the launch around a dock and into her new slip), as that voyage would have been endured rather than enjoyed - frankly I was beat after the trip up and back to bring her home and the week of work on her.

Our family of 4, with boys ages 12 and 8, arrived at our dock mid afternoon on Thursday August 20th and spent three nights on the boat, in 3 different coves on the lake. The single burner camp stove I used worked well enough for french press coffee in the morning, eggs and pancakes one morning, and a few other single pot meals. The charcoal grill on the rail that came with the boat worked very well for a few other meals. We had a great evening at the marina on Saturday night with an impromptu get together at the pavilion at the end of our dock. It was a great opportunity to meet new people, see their boats, and give them a tour of our E25 when they asked to see her. As far as I know, she's the only Ericson in the marina. It was interesting to see the different pluses, minuses, and compromises among the boats. Catalinas in the 22, 25 and 27 variety are by far the most common on this lake, along with a handful of Precision and Hunter boats. I wish the E25 had the cockpit space of some of those other boats, but I'll take the trade off of bigger cabin volume and frankly just much more pleasing lines and deck space. All were impressed when they had a chance to see our E25 and the character she has, particularly in the cabin (aided no doubt by the glow from the brass hurricane lamp on the main bulk head), and were equally surprised to hear she's a 1978 boat. I think her life to date sailing in locales with a substantial off season has clearly contributed to her overall good condition with the opportunity for regular cleaning and maintenance.

Having multiple days on her was great to get to know her, start a gear and to-do list, and mostly improve our sailing ability and figure out things like battery usage, anchoring procedures, and how to not foul the genoa sheets on the open forward hatch while tacking, etc. We had light winds with brief opportunities to get her up to 3-3.5 knots or so for the first 2 days, and finally some better wind on Sunday to get her over 4.5 knots. I do look forward to sailing again in better wind - we had too much time drifting in blazing sun this weekend. We need to figure out a way to add a bimini that can negotiate the adjustable back stay. We rigged a temporary boom tent with a SilNylon tarp while anchored and swimming and that was welcome relief from the sun.

I have now started a google sheet with tasks and priority rankings to help keep me organized. Thankfully the highest priority task that we can do right now is go sail more - everything else are smaller tasks that can happen in time or over the winter. I need to investigate the centerboard as it seems to take more effort on the winch to raise than I think it should (but perhaps this is normal ?? She lowers on her own easily). I dove and scraped the remaining gunk on the CB and in the trunk that my power washer couldn't get to and that didn't completely resolve my concern. I also need to get someone in our club who knows standing rigging to go over the boat with me and make a plan - it is of unknown vintage. I see some obvious things I need to address/replace, but I don't know what I don't know. Replace it all would be the easy button but I'd like to spend that money elsewhere if I can justifiably do so.

I appreciate the other E25 information here and elsewhere, as it greatly aided our decision making and boat search, as I had no opportunity to view an E25 in person before stepping aboard #377.

A few questions that perhaps others with E25's can answer:

1) Is it safe to remove the compression post face board with the mast up and tensioned? It doesn't seem like that board has much tension on it but I wouldn't really know until I tried to do so. At a minimum, the two bottom screws are loose and those holes need to be filled and re-drilled. I can certainly look into this over the winter with the mast down, but it would be great to remove the board and see the CB pendulum condition and operation while in the water (with the mast therefore up).

2) For future reference, is it possible to remove the center board pin with the boat on the trailer, perhaps temporarily install a smaller diameter easy to remove pin of some sort that would keep that end of the board in place, strap the center board up to the boat while on the trailer, launch the boat and move to shallow water, then remove the center board while in the water for inspection and any maintenance? And install the board in the reverse order? I have been trying to think through how I might do this without getting the boat off of the trailer on land. I realize I can acquire some boat stands and negotiate the boat off the trailer, and that might be easier than wrangling a center board in the water, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I do not have a lift anywhere near my location.

3) I have been unable to find detailed examples of how bimini's are constructed, deployed, and stowed on an E25 or E25+. I found a video of Europa with a 4 bow bimini that is exactly like I am inclined to add, and it has a slit and hole that allows the split adjustable back stay to travel through the bimini. But assuming the bimini is stored in the air to the stern of the boat, how do you get the front two bows back past the back stay? Do you temporarily disconnect the back stay? Could I still access the boom pigtail attached to the back stay when lowering the mainsail, or would I be better off adding a separate topping lift to eliminate the need to disconnect and connect the pigtail each we time raise or lower the mainsail (likely the latter)? I need to spend time on sailrite's website on how to build a bimini but figured I'd ask for specific into regarding biminis on an E25.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that is it for now.

Kevin
Pittsburgh, PA
Ericson 25 C/B Hull #377

1911tex

Sustaining Member
No better quality time with the boys than your new to you Ericson! Keep the forum posted on progress and photos...including the boys!

Congratulations !!!
p.s.: What is #377's name?

frick

Member III
a couple of things.
I sail and ericson 29... I have a single burner KISS stove. I keep a pressure cooker on board as It great for fast one pot meals.
sailrite has a large number of videos on how to create dodgers and biminis whore the views on youtube for their expertise.

as to the centerboard.... On one of my trailerable 22 footers I could jack up the board to replace the huge bolt that held it in place, and was able to replace the old worn bolt.

I would not removed the compression post with a load on the mast. Another option if you do not want to drop the mast is to drill a one inch hole in the mast to reach in and seal the wire... some will not like this option.
Rick

klb67pgh

Member III
Here are a few pictures of her. I have a hint of regret not taking one more day to, among other tasks, wax the full bootstripe to get it back to the powder blue color rather than its current scum color - I did a spot near the rudder just to confirm it will clean up and we will buff the entire hull before launching this spring. We were anxious to splash her last week. A club member saw us and sailed her Flying Scot over to take our picture below - I dropped the boom at the goose neck a bit after seeing the picture.

She doesn't have a name yet - we are still pondering.

Ericson 25 docked.jpg

Ericson 25 sailing.jpg

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Hi Kevin and congratulations! I can answer questions 1 and 2:

question 1

Yes you can remove the mast compression face board with the mast up, the two side boards still take the load, i’ve done it many times.

question 2

Because of its weight and location of the pendant connection (close to the centerboard pin) does take a decent effort to raise even with the winch. That effort should be even and consistent though. If it gets considerably harder as the board is nearing top then it might be swollen and rubbing the inside of the trunk/box.

I just replaced my centerboard this last spring as the original was swollen and stuck in the trunk (would not go down). Here was that process:

Hammered out pin while on trailer (board didn't budge)

took boat to local lake and on launch ramp snorkled below with a crow bar and pried it down a few inches

once i had it down a little i wrapped a strap around it and connected that strap the the hitch on my truck and pulled. this brought it down even further but it didn't fall out.

At this point i realized the board would move up into the keel well but not down and out so what i did was dive down, lift it and then let go and let it fall. Every time i did this the board with fall out about .25”. After repeating this a few times the board finally fell to the underwater floor of the launch ramp. it was very heavy and could have broken my foot had it been underneath. This took me about 3 hours.

Installing the new board was much easier as it wasn't as heavy and actually fit.

Wrapped the board in protective foam wrap, launch boat and set new board underneath. Connect pendant amd have somone up top crank on the winch while i guide the board head into the keelwell. Grabbed the centerboard pin amd did a final crank so the board hole lined up with the pin hole in hull, this was the hardest part. slide pin into hole, test centerboard operation and sail. This took me about 30 minutes.

Saved about $600 in hosting fees doing it this way.

Heres some additional tips/info:

All the work on the ramp is done with the boat being in as shallow water as possible. You wont be able to do it if your feet cant touch the ground.

Use a wetsuit as even in warm water after an hour or so you’ll still get cold. I was very tired afterward.

oyster catcher website is an excellent resource but not everything there is correct. heres an example.

The mainsheet length he states is too short, order 10 feet longer or you won’t have enough to reach the mast winch in order to raise the mast. he addressed this but his length given is still too short.

another..

When replacing thru hulls with seacocks dont use wood backing plates and dont thru bolt, just use the pre-made groco backing plate and g10 to fill the area.

I recommend replacing the original centerboard as the original was of poor design and can suddenly break off if the steel around the area were the pin goes through has rusted. My original board was completely shot, the steel spine completly rusted and as a matter of fact the board was cracked all the way through. I junked it but not before extractimg the two lead bars inside.

let me know if you have any other question ill be glad to help

good luck!

Mowgli

"Going over the edge"
As I mentioned in my for sale/wanted post, I posted in early July to see if anyone knew of an E25 on a trailer for sale, as we had finally decided to make the jump from a daysailer to a cabin boat and an E25 had been on my want list ever since I discovered the Oystercatcher refit blog about 4 years ago. In short, based on pictures, a video tour, and multiple exchanges with Greg, the now prior owner, I rented a truck and traveled from Western PA to Salem, MA with the intent of bringing #377 home. I saw nothing during my inspection that gave me any great concern that the boat was anything other than as represented or better and in overall great condition, and a boat we could sail now and work on various smaller projects over time and in the off-season. The boat and trailer had several specific appealing upgrades that made this boat, in my mind, the one to get. We brought her home on August 10th and I spent that week power washing her hull, getting the various items and trim that came with the boat back on/in her, and getting her ready to launch, which we did on August 16th. I decided to defer our maiden voyage (beyond the short trip from the launch around a dock and into her new slip), as that voyage would have been endured rather than enjoyed - frankly I was beat after the trip up and back to bring her home and the week of work on her.

Our family of 4, with boys ages 12 and 8, arrived at our dock mid afternoon on Thursday August 20th and spent three nights on the boat, in 3 different coves on the lake. The single burner camp stove I used worked well enough for french press coffee in the morning, eggs and pancakes one morning, and a few other single pot meals. The charcoal grill on the rail that came with the boat worked very well for a few other meals. We had a great evening at the marina on Saturday night with an impromptu get together at the pavilion at the end of our dock. It was a great opportunity to meet new people, see their boats, and give them a tour of our E25 when they asked to see her. As far as I know, she's the only Ericson in the marina. It was interesting to see the different pluses, minuses, and compromises among the boats. Catalinas in the 22, 25 and 27 variety are by far the most common on this lake, along with a handful of Precision and Hunter boats. I wish the E25 had the cockpit space of some of those other boats, but I'll take the trade off of bigger cabin volume and frankly just much more pleasing lines and deck space. All were impressed when they had a chance to see our E25 and the character she has, particularly in the cabin (aided no doubt by the glow from the brass hurricane lamp on the main bulk head), and were equally surprised to hear she's a 1978 boat. I think her life to date sailing in locales with a substantial off season has clearly contributed to her overall good condition with the opportunity for regular cleaning and maintenance.

Having multiple days on her was great to get to know her, start a gear and to-do list, and mostly improve our sailing ability and figure out things like battery usage, anchoring procedures, and how to not foul the genoa sheets on the open forward hatch while tacking, etc. We had light winds with brief opportunities to get her up to 3-3.5 knots or so for the first 2 days, and finally some better wind on Sunday to get her over 4.5 knots. I do look forward to sailing again in better wind - we had too much time drifting in blazing sun this weekend. We need to figure out a way to add a bimini that can negotiate the adjustable back stay. We rigged a temporary boom tent with a SilNylon tarp while anchored and swimming and that was welcome relief from the sun.

I have now started a google sheet with tasks and priority rankings to help keep me organized. Thankfully the highest priority task that we can do right now is go sail more - everything else are smaller tasks that can happen in time or over the winter. I need to investigate the centerboard as it seems to take more effort on the winch to raise than I think it should (but perhaps this is normal ?? She lowers on her own easily). I dove and scraped the remaining gunk on the CB and in the trunk that my power washer couldn't get to and that didn't completely resolve my concern. I also need to get someone in our club who knows standing rigging to go over the boat with me and make a plan - it is of unknown vintage. I see some obvious things I need to address/replace, but I don't know what I don't know. Replace it all would be the easy button but I'd like to spend that money elsewhere if I can justifiably do so.

I appreciate the other E25 information here and elsewhere, as it greatly aided our decision making and boat search, as I had no opportunity to view an E25 in person before stepping aboard #377.

A few questions that perhaps others with E25's can answer:

1) Is it safe to remove the compression post face board with the mast up and tensioned? It doesn't seem like that board has much tension on it but I wouldn't really know until I tried to do so. At a minimum, the two bottom screws are loose and those holes need to be filled and re-drilled. I can certainly look into this over the winter with the mast down, but it would be great to remove the board and see the CB pendulum condition and operation while in the water (with the mast therefore up).

2) For future reference, is it possible to remove the center board pin with the boat on the trailer, perhaps temporarily install a smaller diameter easy to remove pin of some sort that would keep that end of the board in place, strap the center board up to the boat while on the trailer, launch the boat and move to shallow water, then remove the center board while in the water for inspection and any maintenance? And install the board in the reverse order? I have been trying to think through how I might do this without getting the boat off of the trailer on land. I realize I can acquire some boat stands and negotiate the boat off the trailer, and that might be easier than wrangling a center board in the water, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I do not have a lift anywhere near my location.

3) I have been unable to find detailed examples of how bimini's are constructed, deployed, and stowed on an E25 or E25+. I found a video of Europa with a 4 bow bimini that is exactly like I am inclined to add, and it has a slit and hole that allows the split adjustable back stay to travel through the bimini. But assuming the bimini is stored in the air to the stern of the boat, how do you get the front two bows back past the back stay? Do you temporarily disconnect the back stay? Could I still access the boom pigtail attached to the back stay when lowering the mainsail, or would I be better off adding a separate topping lift to eliminate the need to disconnect and connect the pigtail each we time raise or lower the mainsail (likely the latter)? I need to spend time on sailrite's website on how to build a bimini but figured I'd ask for specific into regarding biminis on an E25.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that is it for now.

Kevin
Pittsburgh, PA
Ericson 25 C/B Hull #377
Aloha Kevin, I have Europa & love her.
I never move the 2 forward bows all the way back... unless the mast is down while trailering... or I am sailing it early season when its not so hot.
I do pull them back & strap them to the backstay. I also use 2 strong bungies on the back. At night if its raing, or might rain I pull on the forward straps which pulls the bimini over the companionway allowing me to keep it open in wet weather. The Sumbrella fabric has an opening in it for the backstay to pass through.
On my wish list, though, is to add 2 stainless supports to the frame to help stabilize it in rough weather. I dont feel the 2 straps, 2 bungies & 2 attachment point are totally adequate in rolling/windy seas.
I hope your CB25 is coming along nicely!!!

klb67pgh

Member III
Mowgli,

Thank you for responding. Our E25 is coming along nicely. I picked up a 2 bow bimini off of an ODay 25 that fit the push pit rather well. I added vertical bars to the rear rail with one on a diagonal, and horizontal bars to connect the front and rear bars. It works well for shade. The only downside is it is not big enough to cover the companionway. But it was super cheap and had good canvas and stainless hardware. I put the canvas on only when I need it.

20220709_100755.jpg