• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Our interesting weather

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Just throw a couple reefs in and get out there! Weather here on the east coast has been “interesting” too. 40 degrees one day, 70 the next, back down to 40 the day after, rinse and repeat. Unusual for Feb but I do like the warm days.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Just throw a couple reefs in and get out there!
I'll pass.

Our weather has been unseasonably cold--for us, anyway. I'm planning a couple of trips to Catalina trips next month and am hoping the evening temps will not be in the 40's (and sometimes even high 30's) as we've been having here.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I'll pass.

Our weather has been unseasonably cold--for us, anyway. I'm planning a couple of trips to Catalina trips next month and am hoping the evening temps will not be in the 40's (and sometimes even high 30's) as we've been having here.
I was just kidding you know.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I was just kidding you know.
Of course I knew! No one in their right mind would go out there in that!

But I wasn't kidding about our weather. I'm sure our east coast brethren are busting out tiny violins right about now, but for me this has been waaay too cold!

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Of course I knew! No one in their right mind would go out there in that!

But I wasn't kidding about our weather. I'm sure our east coast brethren are busting out tiny violins right about now, but for me this has been waaay too cold!
Almost identical here in the Bay Area except for the wind direction. Crazy weather.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yesterday it was blowing 30 gusting to 40 at my slip, which is more wind in the confines of protected Marina del Rey harbor than my dockmates had ever seen. And extremely loud, not halyards rapping--but instead those accursed genoa covers the racing guys put on so they don't have to have a UV strip, and some sort of forestay foil that, with genoa removed, rattles in high winds. As I was applying sail ties to my loose canvas covers to assure their survival the boat was jerking and lunging against its dock lines such as to knock me off my feet.

I had one ridiculous thought--downwind it will be OK under a scrap of poled-out jib, but I will not be getting much sleep tonight. Weird how the mind works.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Angel's Gate (L.A. Harbor) recorded a 46kt. gust just before 11 pm on Tuesday. Wild stuff.

I'm wondering how many improperly secured roller furling jibs got shredded in the last few days? Keeps our dockmaster busy!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Some of you might be interested to know how the large container ships and oil tankers that are at anchor handle this weather--here in L.A. Harbor, at least.

The vessel traffic service contacts all of the ships anchored inside the harbor (VHF 14) and gives them the choice of remaining at anchor or heaving anchor and meandering around outside of the traffic lanes until the wind event is over. Those choosing to remain at anchor need to have an extra anchor ready to deploy and their engines running in standby. Those who do leave the anchorage are guaranteed to retain their assigned spot when they return.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Of course, this is small potatoes compared to the tornado that ripped through Long Beach, CA in January of 1998.

I happened to be on my boat at the time. It was a Newport 27 that I kept in Shoreline Village in Long Beach. I don't believe there was any damage at the marina, but I know one moderately-sized commercial building not too far from the marina had its roof ripped off. This was all over the local news.

I truly had never seen wind like that before. I'd say the gusts may have been about 70 mph. I do recall my boat heeling over bare poles in the slip and my almost being blown off of the dock when I was standing nearby. No flying debris, though--happily. Still, very freaky.