• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Outboard crane install location

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
Does anyone have an outboard crane/lift mounted on their transom and care to share pics or a description of the installation location?
I just got a Forespar Novalift but haven't found quite the perfect spot to mount the thing.
The challenge is finding a spot that will clear the reverse transom in order to lift, have a fair lead to the primary winch if we need some extra oompf, not interfere with the bimini, and land in an acceptable spot for the mounting baseplate.
I think I've found a decent compromise of all of those but would love to see what others might have done in case there's a solution I'm not seeing. TIA.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
I assume he means for the dinghy outboard.
Yes. Sorry for the lack of clarity. I didn't want to call it an outboard/motor lift, because that can also mean something different on smaller boats. Outboard has multiple meanings as well.
Cargo crane? Half-davit?
Primarily for lifting the motor off the dinghy to the stern rail, but also water jugs, batteries, MOBs(?), etc.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Looked it up - interesting, but I'm pretty sure I could build that for less than $800.

Does the load really need to "clear the transom?" Wouldn't the dinghy (or the dock) from which you're lifting more likely be alongside?
Looks like the base could if necessary, rotate 90° and mount to the outside of the topsides or coaming.

I once considered buying a used crab pot puller for the same purpose, but really couldn't see room for it. Figured I'd have to make do with the boom & mainsheet (which would probably require a beefed-up topping lift.) Except if one had radar mast, or tower of power, etc., the pivot point would have to be outside all of that if one wanted to park a motor on the rail.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
Looked it up - interesting, but I'm pretty sure I could build that for less than $800.

Does the load really need to "clear the transom?" Wouldn't the dinghy (or the dock) from which you're lifting more likely be alongside?
Looks like the base could if necessary, rotate 90° and mount to the outside of the topsides or coaming.
I got it on sale at a deep discount. Figure I paid about $100 more than the material costs when I started pricing things out. I'm sure some components I would've bought could be fabricated for less. This also spares me the hassle of bending heavy stainless, or thinking about different designs. Of all the prefab options this design just seems really slick and streamlined though one of the more expensive

Lifting alongside is correct, and then swinging over the transom to the stern rail to the motor mount.

My bimini the the main obstacle to using the boom (and limits crane location) Mostly this will be used at anchor when I want that shade up because I'm a redhead and burn easily.

Last edited:

Touchrain

Member III
094373CC-82BD-41C0-848E-4440858CC96C.jpegIf you look carefully at starboard quarter, you can just see ours on E38 Touch Rain. Has worked for us for 15 years and thousands of offshore miles. Sorry, best photo I have at home.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
If you look carefully at starboard quarter, you can just see ours on E38 Touch Rain. Has worked for us for 15 years and thousands of offshore miles. Sorry, best photo I have at home.
Thank you for the photo.
It must sit inboard of the stern cleat, so not to interfere if you ever had lines trailing aft?
Does the base sit flat on the aft rail board, or on the slope of the transom?

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
A dock neighbor of mine just slies a galvanized pipe into his boom. When he needs a crane over the side for his outboard motor he just slides it out so it is still supported inside the boom, and attaches a block and tackle to it and that is his crane. I think he drilled a hole through the boom and two places on the pipe to place a bolt through to hold the pipe in place for stowed and usage positions.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here is the sheaves cap at the end of the Kenyon E38 boom. Looks like at least a 2" or even 3" pipe could be inserted.

E381 Kenyon boom end.JPG

Inside the boom are a wire outhaul, two reef lines, and a wire topping lift (Spectra in my case). Probably such a pipe would just push them aside without damage. The pipe pressure would be on the low part of the ellipse, which might need reinforcing.

E381 Kenyon boom int..jpg

I wondered if such an extension could be suitable for man overboard recovery. But no, the transom ladder is too far away. The idea does look viable for lowering an outboard to a dinghy.

crop cockpit.jpg

Neil Gallagher

1984 E381
Mine is transom mounted, the lift arm is mounted to the radar post. The whole unit is built by Garhauer. Its been very reliable. The attached picture is the best I’ve got of it.

Attachments

• 3B8945A6-C3C6-4F6A-A76B-135A99EF1545.jpeg
    3B8945A6-C3C6-4F6A-A76B-135A99EF1545.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 21

Teranodon

Member III
Before I got an electric outboard (which comes in two twenty-pound pieces) I used a Swing-Lift (www.swing-lift.com) and was quite happy with it. It was easy to install, and worked well once I got the hang of it. It’s sitting in my garage now. If anyone wants to buy it, let me know.

Swing-Lift.jpg