• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Outboard Motor Mount Advice

raslocum

Member I
Hello all! I'm about to undertake some mid winter changes to my e25 since it's too cold to actually enjoy sailing right now.
My wife and I anchor often, and throw a rope ladder over the side. We've grown tired of how difficult it is. More than a few guests have been embarrassed trying to climb back up after a cocktail or two. To be fair, it's actually quite an athletic feat. Also, I bring my fairly large pups sailing / swimming with me. I hoist them back on board w/ a halyard........I should take a pic of this........ I keep looking at that beautiful outboard cutout in the back of the cockpit that the engine is clamped on to. Sure would make a great place for a mounted swim ladder! I've seen pics of other people doing this, but I'll have to mount an adjustable motor mount on the port side.

Question... I'm using a 9.8 horse Nissan (ok we all know its a tohatsu w/ a sticker). Weight is just shy of 100 lbs. what is the transom made of that I would have to drill through? What kind of backing plate needed on the back side? I assume I'd have to epoxy bond some fairly heavy doubler onto the the back transom from inside. The bolt patterns on all the mounts I have seen seem awfully close together. I'm just assuming that puts an enormous torsion on the transom in a very small space. Perhaps I'm over thinking this entire process, however. I'm sure someone out there has done something like this before. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Additionally, If you know any really skinny people in the Texoma area who could shimmy through those tiny little access doors, over my battery box, and freshwater holding tank to the back transom to actually bolt this up, i'd be grateful........ anybody?........ Bueller?...........

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Have you considered a midships boarding ladder? They're the easiest to use because that's the stable part of the boat. Various models on the market from expensive to cheap.