• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

overly sensitive helm

Spoondude

Member I
I am in process of returning an Ericson 29 to usable condition. I installed an Indigo 3 blade propeller which really improved my cruising speed but made the helm so sensitive that if the helm is not moved cautiously it will nearly spin out the boat, not a comfortable thought when cruising on the ICW in Mosquito Lagoon, Fl as the channel gets very narrow there and I wonder if the 3 blade prop is washing the rudder as it is very close to the rudder where it exits the hull?

paul culver

Member III
Hmm. I have the same boat with the same prop but have not experienced what you are describing. Sorry I can't help but I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Any prop will wash the rudder on an E29. Not a big deal at maneuvering speed. At cruising speed, it can get quite strong and it's tiring to keep the boat from turning to port. If you must cruise under power, let a tiller pilot do the steering. But keep alert - raymarine tiller pilots always seem to choose to do a "crazy ivan" just when passing a big dredge or something in a narrow channel.

Well, that's assuming tiller steering. With the mechanical advantage of a wheel, the effect might feel different. But under the boat, the same thing is going on.

Spoondude

Member I
thanks for both replies. My first thought was wheel conversion and if cost were not a factor I would already be on it. The boat seemed to be moving right along and I did not try to determine our speed though we did seem to make good time bringing the boat home. The boat did come with a Raymarine tiller that did not have a power supply and shaft vibration seemed to be nil so all in all caution under power will be my reminder and likely keep the prop.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I have always much preferred a tiller to a wheel under sail. The tiller has a lot more "feel" while sailing. While under power the autopilot is almost always on. Who wants to steer a stinkpot? Letting go of the wheel will result in a hard over with a wheel also. The problem is a way oversize rudder for sailing. You will notice that motorboats have teeny tiny rudders. They work great when motoring. They would be a disaster under sail. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. Also some props cause a lot more torque steer than others. Ask other owners how theirs work.

The best solution for you is probably a tiller pilot. I had one on every boat I had up to the 34. An additional benefit is the tiller pilot will tack the boat when you are single handing allowing you to handle the sheets. That makes it a second crewmember.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Oh yeah, but half the time I tack the tiller with my knees or one foot (depending on wind speed) and work the sheets with my hands. Not that tough once you get a feel for the boat. Try doing that with a wheel! Otto seems to need a couple of extra hits of the +10 button or he over-corrects and puts the boat in irons. Then a couple of -10 hits once we pick up speed again. But I can't actually reach the traveller controls and the tiller at the same time, so if I'm using a lot of traveller, Otto must steer.

Spoondude

Member I
Oh yeah, but half the time I tack the tiller with my knees or one foot (depending on wind speed) and work the sheets with my hands. Not that tough once you get a feel for the boat. Try doing that with a wheel! Otto seems to need a couple of extra hits of the +10 button or he over-corrects and puts the boat in irons. Then a couple of -10 hits once we pick up speed again. But I can't actually reach the traveller controls and the tiller at the same time, so if I'm using a lot of traveller, Otto must steer.
Good points and I will look forward to trying them out. Also love your “Curator of Broken Parts”

p.gazibara

Member III
I had an E27 that had a universal diesel in it and the prop wash was so strong I would shut the engine down ASAP.

The boat sailed great, but motoring was awful. I always assumed the prop was the main cause of the issue, but for a $1000 sailboat, I didn’t complain.

My E35 has a maxprop and exhibits none of those awful handling characteristics.

My E35 also has an updated rudder, I wonder if the rudder balance is part of the issue?

-P