• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Oxnard E33RH?

boatgeek

Dear fine Ericson folks of SoCal,
My first post. A sailing aficionado, recent forum lurker and potentially aspiring Ericson owner. Do any of you know what the story is on the E33 for sale in Oxnard on yacht world? That's a Ron Holland Ericson, if I've understood my history correctly, but also has a strange interior with the galley and chart table forward of the settees. The E33 design seems like a good match for me, but that arrangement has me a bit unnerved.

I'm emerging from the shackles of young family, young career, young mortgage. Now potentially considering getting back to some honest-man's yachting (Had / restored a Ranger 29 years ago which I loved, and have crewed Santanas and Js and others in coastal (low-key racing and cruises / deliveries.) Delighted to read your posts about cruising Catalina, local conditions, etc.

-Matt

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Check out this EYO link, think this is the boat your looking at:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Never have seen an interior in (several) E-33RH boats like this. Looks workable, and if it suits you, all is well. The woodwork detailing looks "factory", to me.

Let us know what you decide.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I find the Ericson settee with table important for cruising and living. Most of the layout decisions for this boat seem oriented to racing.

You didn't mention racing...

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
If were closer I would definitely have a close look see. I agree with Loren, the interior shots look factory done. I like that it's a frac rig and has a fast hull/sail plan with base phrf of 126. Not bad to look at either !

boatgeek

Thanks folks. Yes, I too like the fact that it seems to be a quick (though perhaps tender), and has nice lines. I may have a look if I can get up there, but I won't be racing to run up there for a Saturday. As I think about it, my thinking is that that interior would definitely be a negative factor. Not even clear what the quarterberth situation is. I'd say I'm more oriented toward cruising but like the potential of some some friendly club racing and maybe Newport Ensenada eventually. Mostly I'm keen to find a boat with a nice sailing feel. Ranger 33 would be one example, but I'm learning more about Ericsons and becoming interested. Thanks again. -Matt (Pasadena)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks folks. Yes, I too like the fact that it seems to be a quick (though perhaps tender), and has nice lines. I may have a look if I can get up there, but I won't be racing to run up there for a Saturday. As I think about it, my thinking is that that interior would definitely be a negative factor. Not even clear what the quarterberth situation is. I'd say I'm more oriented toward cruising but like the potential of some some friendly club racing and maybe Newport Ensenada eventually. Mostly I'm keen to find a boat with a nice sailing feel. Ranger 33 would be one example, but I'm learning more about Ericsons and becoming interested. Thanks again. -Matt (Pasadena)
For your intended use, you might love an Olson 34. There is (was...) one for sale listed on this site in SoCal.
Full on cruising interior, and a deck designed for easy sailing. It's fast, too..... but then I would say that!
:)

Link: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/for-sale-olson-34-11-in-southern-california.19107/

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Matt,

It is indeed a layout which looks odd to my eye, but it does appear to be factory made. I would guess that the original owner ordered it to his specs and the factory made it that way and it is fundamentally a one-off custom layout. Although the layout is different, I am sure it is still quite useable. That they would do away with the sink in the head has me scratching my head, but you can always wash in the galley sink just steps away, I guess. My boat, hull #24 (of 28), has the more standard layout.

The "tender" aspect of the E33 is related to the powerful sail plan. 573 square feet of sail on a 9600 pond hull makes for some spirited sailing, but yes, reef early. SA/D ratio (sail area to displacement) is 19.9!!! More than most boats of that age although some more modern performance yachts these days have the high ratio (or higher). The Ranger 33 you mentioned is 17.7 SA/D and it is a masthead rig rather than fractional as on the E33.

Cheers.

P.S. Seth weighs in here once in a while and he was involved in testing and sailing in the original factory prototype and earliest E33s so that is a cool resource on this site for these particular models.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Also, the Ranger 33 was designed in 1969 by Gary Mull. Average PHRF is 156. The E33 was designed 12 years later, in 1981 by Ron Holland and PHRF is 126. It is 30 seconds per mile faster partly aided by the 12 years between the designs, perhaps.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Matt,
The Chesapeake Bay Ericson Club (CBEC) had Seth Morrel as an October guest speaker. Viewers were granted a premier class on Ericson performance and boat improvements. If your interested in performance of the E33 RH Seth is the man to speak with.

Note: Self Promotion
CBEC will be bringing Seth back in the Spring for another virtual session if he's not out racing.
Now if we could only get Christian to do a Christmas session, that would be so HoHOHO all the way.

Mark "Souleman" Soule