• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Painting engine compartment?

dhill

Member III
On many powerboats, but less commonly on sailboats, the engine "room" or compartment is painted white to make the space brighter and improve visibility around the engine. I'm considering painting my engine compartment white for that same reason. Given the dark wood that surrounds my engine and most other Ericsons I've seen, I'm curious as to why we don't see that in sailboats more often.

Thanks!
Dave

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
I saw somewhere that an owner put LED strip lights in the box frame above the engine. It's on my tier three to-do list. Definitely dark in there.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, when I replaced the old missing and ruined foil-face foam, the whole compartment brightened up 300%. The new stuff is like a mirror.
:)

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
My engine compartment is painted white. It is in desperate need of a repaint and that may be a big reason why most engine compartments arn't painted.

dhill

Member III
My engine compartment is painted white. It is in desperate need of a repaint and that may be a big reason why most engine compartments arn't painted.
Good point! I believe that many larger engine rooms in powerboats use a white paneling material, which would not need to be repainted. Might not be worth the effort for a really small engine room with lots of things secured to the walls.

Dave