• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Paper gasket for starter motor - M-25

vanilladuck

E32-3 / San Francisco
Blogs Author
Okay, okay.. okay ;)

I appreciate all the feedback here esp. the repeated suggestion to follow https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/universal-diesel-wiring-modifications-how-to.12178/ I followed parts A, C, and B, in that order. It wasn't until I finished connecting the thicker orange wire between the actuator contact on the starter solenoid and the start switch that I saw a difference. Now I can't get the click to come back. Time will tell, but at least pulling the starter and having it rebuilt can go to the bottom of the list.

I still wore my Zen hat, but maybe a little sideways. As I dug around testing, reading, and learning more, like a starter solenoid is not just an engagement mechanism for the pinion gear with the flywheel. It also acts as a relay for power to the motor that turns the pinion gear. Here's some other notes:
  • solenoid on my engine draws 6.1A when it engages properly to turn the engine over; 21.2A (yikes) when the 'click' happens and doesn't turn the engine over
  • holding the decompression lever open didn't help at all, but the engine sounds pretty funny with no "chugga-chug" sound
  • once I jumped the alternator output to the starter post I noticed charging amps went from ~4.5A to ~7.5A. I'll eventually upgrade to a higher output Balmar
  • I like not having to hit the glow plugs every time I start the engine
  • I feel better having that old ammeter out of the picture
Now I can continue planning my instrument panel rewiring project. I've been eyeballing blog posts by Ken and Christian. It all starts with a diagram or two. Btw, if you need to make a drawing, check out www.diagrams.net (it's free!)

Last edited: