• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Part of what makes this such a great site ...

Sven

Seglare
... when we ran into the new gooseneck problem we were more than a little stumped, being impossibly far from any place where we could get it fixed.

A quick note to Jeffersön Asbury via satphone e-mail asking him to post the question here. Done !

Once we got connectivity I could start looking at the suggestions. Not too bad !!

Thanks Jeff and Sean and everyone else :egrin:

-Sven

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
... when we ran into the new gooseneck problem we were more than a little stumped, being impossibly far from any place where we could get it fixed.A quick note to Jeffersön Asbury via satphone e-mail asking him to post the question here. Done !Once we got connectivity I could start looking at the suggestions. Not too bad !!Thanks Jeff and Sean and everyone else :egrin:-Sven
Wow Sven,You are truly livin' the life out there!Keep the blog coming.....please!

Sven

Seglare
Wow Sven,You are truly livin' the life out there!Keep the blog coming.....please!

Glad someone is reading it :egrin:

We actually use the blog to remind ourselves too of what we've experienced. This isn't a cushy life but it sure is enjoyable even when things go wrong.

-Sven

Seth

Sustaining Partner
So....

... when we ran into the new gooseneck problem we were more than a little stumped, being impossibly far from any place where we could get it fixed.

A quick note to Jeffersön Asbury via satphone e-mail asking him to post the question here. Done !

Once we got connectivity I could start looking at the suggestions. Not too bad !!

-Sven

How did it work out Sven? What did you end up doing?

Happy New Year, BTW-I am jealous of your adventure!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner

-Sven

You are very welcome Sven contact me any time and I will share with your fellow Vikings. I must say I really do enjoy your blog and and envy what you and Nancy are doing! I do hope you get your gooseneck resolved, and I am sure you will given your ability to over come other issues you have had along the way. Reminds me of that old statement, "Sailing = the 10 best hobbies you'll ever have". Might need to add stainless steel fabrication to that list of hobbles. :egrin: Keep on Cruising and blogging! So what's next after Mexico? The Caribbean, South Pacific or South America?

Beam Winds Friends! -Jeff

Oh, btw, I was in Seattle for Christmas when I got your e-mail asking me to relay the message about your gooseneck, so I relaid via iPhone. Gotta love the technology these days.

Last edited:

davisr

Member III
Sven,

Congrats on making your cruising dreams a reality. Congrats as well on hauling in your fish. I went and read your blog page on the catch. What sort of rig have you been using? Do you have a rod or simply a hand-over-hand trolling line? What have you been using for bait?

Thanks,
Roscoe

Sven

Seglare
Congrats on making your cruising dreams a reality. Congrats as well on hauling in your fish. I went and read your blog page on the catch. What sort of rig have you been using? Do you have a rod or simply a hand-over-hand trolling line? What have you been using for bait?

Just a boatline with a cedar plug. The guy (a fishing expert at WM ?) who put it together said that it only needed to be 30-40 feet long but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the problem; it's too close to the boat ?

-Sven

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
How did it work out Sven? What did you end up doing?

We're still limping south under just jib. The last few day were an exception where we had to motor to get out of some bad spots but otherwise it is working out great with the main down.

I have a lead to a lead for a good SS fabricator in La Paz and hope that works out. I still worry that the whole design is now compromised with the welded no-twist gooseneck arrangement. The rigger who had it done is the same one who put a 3"*5" aluminum angle piece under the foredeck with three small screws as the backing for the cutter stay he installed. Not sure he is a qualified engineer :confused:

Oh well, we'll get it fixed.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
We're still limping south under just jib. The last few day were an exception where we had to motor to get out of some bad spots but otherwise it is working out great with the main down.

I have a lead to a lead for a good SS fabricator in La Paz and hope that works out. I still worry that the whole design is now compromised with the welded no-twist gooseneck arrangement. The rigger who had it done is the same one who put a 3"*5" aluminum angle piece under the foredeck with three small screws as the backing for the cutter stay he installed. Not sure he is a qualified engineer :confused:

Oh well, we'll get it fixed.

-Sven

Was the rigger you used from the Guy Seatek? Not sure I completely understand how your rigid vang works, but as I said before, I am pretty sure you boom needs to pivot with the main. Could you not put some kind of swivel fitting where the rigid vang attaches to the boom as well? Of course you would have to put the pivot back on your gooseneck.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
NONONONO ! The guys from Seatek were great. On schedule and within budget and quite competent.

-Sven

Good to hear that because I believe I referred you to them. I used their previous owner, Peter Vargas when I had all my standing rigging replaced and the mast, boom and spreaders painted. Got the deal of a lifetime. Peter is now somewhere down in Central America or Mexico. Costa Rica I think. btw, that gives me an idea, I could call Seatek for you and see if they know of a stainless fabricator in La Paz.