• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pelagic Autopilot

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Well, I finally got fed up enough with my Raymarine ST2000+ tiller pilot to decide to replace it with a Pelagic AutoPilot (http://pelagicautopilot.com/). When I bought the ST2000+ I knew it was (IMHO) junk, but at that time there were no good alternatives that I knew of. So I bought one in 2012 (when I got my E26-2) and added the WestMarine extended warranty, figuring it would croak before too long. It did. So now I have a second ST2000+, which is working about as well as they work--which is to say, not so hot. It's fine for steering under power and under certain ideal courses and conditions. But there are many conditions--often when I need it most--when it just doesn't hold a decent course. And yup, I realize the boat needs to be balanced properly (which I am careful to do), and that there are AP settings that can more or less improve its performance. More or less. Been there, done that. I'm still unhappy with it.

I've been following user experiences with the Pelagic, most notably those of Webb Chiles (http://self-portraitinthepresentseajournal.blogspot.com/). He found the linear actuator to be much more robust than the four semi-disposable Raymarine units he took along (which would break at different points along his route). Earlier in the trip he had problems with the control software on the Pelagic and so was not able to use it to good effect. In January, Brian Boschma, who runs/owns/is Pelagic, applied a software patch and Chiles reports good, solid operation since. It seems that his only complaint is that the actuator is noisier than the Raymarine unit, which sometimes interferes with his sleep. But now he only uses the Raymarine in less challenging conditions and switches to the Pelagic when he needs an AP that will steer the boat with authority. For my use, I'll gladly put up with a bit more noise for a unit that actually steers the boat when and where I need it to.

I've placed my order for the Pelagic and will report back after I receive it and get around to installing it. For now I'll just say that Brian has been responsive to answering my questions and seems very dedicated to constantly improving his product.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
This will be good to hear.

Supposedly, the newer "evolution" Raymarine products also work much better and their software can be updated.

I sent my broken ST2000+ back to RM for their "flat rate" repair, and meanwhile bought another new one, because of a big price drop. So I've got one and a spare. Maybe after these both break, I'll look for one that actually works. :rolleyes:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
This will be good to hear.

Supposedly, the newer "evolution" Raymarine products also work much better and their software can be updated.

I sent my broken ST2000+ back to RM for their "flat rate" repair, and meanwhile bought another new one, because of a big price drop. So I've got one and a spare. Maybe after these both break, I'll look for one that actually works. :rolleyes:
Yes, Randy Shelman (now cruising the Bahamas in his E26-2) is using the Evolution EV-100 Tiller Autopilot and reports very good performance with it. However, it is nearly twice the price of the Pelagic unit. Plus, with the Raymarine you get their swell tech support. (Based on my past experience, Raymarine tech support is a decidedly mixed bag.) I like the fact that I can communicate directly with the guy who designed and builds them.

We'll see how it works out.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Brian Boschma of Pelagic is an Olson 34 skipper and chair of the Singlehanded TransPac. Good guy, hands on, always in development.

redsky160.jpgbrian-boschma-160.jpg

Teranodon

Member III
<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 20.0px Helvetica}</style>I installed the Raymarine EV-100 wheel model and I’m not that happy with it. Even on an easy reach or run, it’s constantly making small, unnecessary adjustments. This results in an annoying “chatter” in the cockpit, and it's a drain on the battery. I have very little backlash in my steering. Since this is the improved, advanced, intelligent “evolution” system, there is no access to any of the software parameters. It also means that you can’t adjust the speed or angle through which the unit tacks the boat. That’s progress for you. I’ve been vaguely thinking about adding a rudder position sensor, although finding a place for it looks tricky. Has anyone done this on an E34-35-38?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Actually, it just now occurred to me that as the "Curator of Broken Parts" the ST2000+ is the ideal autopilot for you! :nerd:

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Did you install the Pelagic and do you like it ? I have been in touch with their local distributor and installer and considering for my E33 (to replace a Simrad T32).

David Grimm

E38-200
My old Simrad wheel pilot is like watching the agitate cycle on a washing machine. My new Raymarine below deck linear drive unit is smooth as silk and very strong. My 38 foot is probably the limit for this unit but on my 110 mile trip down the atlantic it held its own. The entire unit is a quick disconnect too. IMHO cheap enough to carry a spare if on an ocean passage. I hear the gears get chewed up over time but I haven't had it long enough to confirm. Here's a little video on the updates.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
My old Simrad wheel pilot is like watching the agitate cycle on a washing machine. My new Raymarine below deck linear drive unit is smooth as silk and very strong. My 38 foot is probably the limit for this unit but on my 110 mile trip down the atlantic it held its own. The entire unit is a quick disconnect too. IMHO cheap enough to carry a spare if on an ocean passage. I hear the gears get chewed up over time but I haven't had it long enough to confirm. Here's a little video on the updates.

I’ve been looking into a below deck system . The pelagic is about 2700 for the hardware . If I have it professionally installed , it’s about 1000-2000 for labor . So 4-5k . That would Include glassing in a mount. I had the installer look at my boat and he didn’t seem keen on doing it because of the tight space below deck to work ( and he looked like he weighed about 135 lbs ) . I’m starting to contemplate the merits/cost effectiveness of sticking with a bungee chord on my tiller .

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, that's cheaper than a wind vane. But for cruising, a below-deck unit also means a very large battery bank and solar and probably a 100-amp alternator too.

A Tillermaster or equivalent gets my vote for casual use....

David Grimm

E38-200
Christian, The link below to West Marine is my kit. I have two battery banks on board. Start bank is two AGM batteries and the house bank is two Mighty Max 100ah Lithium batteries. The Lithiums run all my instruments, autopilot, and refrigerator for approximately 24hrs. 200 amp Balmar does the charging. I was charging for 1hr at 6am and 1hr at 6pm. Here is an uncut unboxing video.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very good. Is it connected to a masthead wind indicator? If not, was that an issue? Let us know if you got tested by quartering seas downwind, which is often the test of self steering.

David Grimm

E38-200
Yes and Yes! Down wind wing on wing in the Atlantic 8 miles off Montauk for 5 to 6 hrs it held course. Waves were coming diagonally from behind. Wind speed & direction, depth, water temp, water speed come through the Raymarine ITC-5.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good stuff. What's your guess about average amp draw per hour while sailing hard all instruments on?

In the end, that's the critical number for weighing wind vane steering against linear-drive steering.

David Grimm

E38-200
Clamp on Fluke amp meter with refrigerator, AIS, radio, GPS, MFD and autopilot in motion I was reading 6.09 maximum off of really old spent Trojan batteries. I should take another reading off the higher voltage Lithiums. Probably minimal difference. Tomorrow or Friday I'll check.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
So in 24-hour heavy weather sailing, let's say maximum work for the autopilot, 6x24=150 amps/day. Probably less outside extreme conditions. That's a lot for two 105 batteries, but it just means running the engine a while maybe twice a day. (That's typically what a Farr 40 in the Transpac does, just to keep its minimal-weight battery up for electronics and running lights, without an autopilot).

The competition vane vs. autopilot remains a dead heat for me. I like wind vanes, but I also like to put my $15,000 diesel to work to earn its keep.

Thanks for the information.

David Grimm

E38-200
Anytime Christian, The draw may be slightly more depending on how much the refrigerator runs. I measured 9.5A today with fridge running and putting resistance on the helm. These batteries run 13.3v till they shut off. So 50% is nothing for them. Also it's a flip of a swich. No setup required to use. Photo is of the ACU-200 computer.

Attachments

• 20201002_155848.jpg
    20201002_155848.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 15