• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Photos of privacy, screen, v-birth, etc.

adam

Member III
Does anyone have any pictures of how the privacy screen was attached and worked in an Ericson 29? Mine is gone, and I'm thinking of installing something to replace it.

What about the cutout piece (and I don't know the name for it) which can be removed for some extra space, or added to make a full v-birth. Does anyone have any pictures showing what it looked like, and how it worked?

In general, is there a collection somewhere of interior pictures of Ericson 29s that I can use for ideas and inspiration? I looked at the gallery on this site, and it just seemed to show the exteriors of a couple of boats.

Thanks!
-Adam

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
My E-29 had a bi-fold door that closed off V-berth. The bi-fold door attached to the bulkhead post on the starboard side of the opening and folded into the V-berth the wedge had to be removed to allow the door to be opened or closed. I removed the door and for privacy when we have four or five living on the boat for our week in Mobile each year we hang one of my girlfriend’s swimsuit cover at the back of the hanging locker from the inside handrails. We also hang a sheet handrail to handrail at the front of the galley to divide off the quarter berth from the salon (I modified my table to lower and make a twin bed that is transverse of the salon).

The wedge is a piece of plywood with a trim piece on the top to hold the cushion. The wedge sits on two rails on the vertical liner that are ½ inch below the surface of the V-berth. I can take pictures next weekend and make a paper pattern for the wedge that I can mail to you. Let me know it this would help.

adam

Member III
Below is a picture of what I have now.

From what I can tell, the wood supports for the cutout have been replaced by plastic. The wooden cutout has also been replaced by plastic.

Thanks Randy for that excellent description. I don't need any pictures. It sounds like the original door was a pain to use. I might just replace it with a good curtain.

My only last question is, can someone tell me what the eyehole shown in the picture was for? Was that used to secure the bi-fold door?

Thanks!

vbirth.jpg

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
On my boat there is a padeye for a hook on the bifold door to hold it open. It is on the starboard side on my boat and yours looks like it is port. IF your boat had the optional door you would find screw holes in the bulkhead post from the piano hinge.

Gmilburn

Member III
Bifold door

Hi Adam,

Here are a couple of file pics of the privacy door that separates the V berth from the salon on my 1977 E29. It is a bi-fold and hooks at the top. It has a full length piano hinge. I have another shot that shows it tucked away on the starboard side of the V berth. Hope this helps--please excuse the clutter.

I too would like to see how the insert goes into the V-berth--so if anyone has photos--please share them.

Attachments

• DSCF1885.jpg
    DSCF1885.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF8806.jpg
    DSCF8806.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 64

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Adam,

That looks suspiciously like a hold for an eye hook attached to the bottom of the insert to keep it from falling out when you're sleeping. We use a different method, but it's one our skippers have used for years. Look underneath the insert if you have one.

Stu

Below is a picture of what I have now.

From what I can tell, the wood supports for the cutout have been replaced by plastic. The wooden cutout has also been replaced by plastic.

Thanks Randy for that excellent description. I don't need any pictures. It sounds like the original door was a pain to use. I might just replace it with a good curtain.

My only last question is, can someone tell me what the eyehole shown in the picture was for? Was that used to secure the bi-fold door?

Thanks!