• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pictures of E27 Cockpit locker

DevinWalker

Inactive Member
My locker goes all the way to the bilge and is open to the engine (removed by PO) compartment. Needless to say, if you throw something in there, it goes a long. way. down.

Can anyone send along pics and designs of the original locker compartment config or any useful modifications?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
My Lazarette / cockpit locker is the same way. Tiller model?, cockpit locker on the port side? I don't believe they made a contained Lazarette for Ericson 27's like you see on Catalina 27's. Being the way that it is open like it is, gives you greater access to things like the fuel tank, manual bilge pump, scuppers, hoses and so on. Be careful and try not to drop any thing. I don't believe it would go all the way into the bilge, at least not with my inboard set up. Usually things end up near the stuffing box.

If I am wrong about this I would love to see a photo as well.

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Making your locker usable again.

Devin, I don't have a photo of the interior of my cockpit locker and bulkhead but I can easily describe it. Ericson used 3/4" plywood to create a vertical bulkhead between the hull and the underside of the cockpit sole. There's a 1" X 1" wooden cleat attached to the bottom edge of the sole that the bulkhead attaches to. There's a great way to figure out how to make the curve on the bottom of the bulkhead using the tick stick trick. Here are two links to that principle http://www.shortypen.com/essays/tickstik/ and http://www.diy-wood-boat.com/Bulkhead.html There's a door cut into my bulkhead that can be removed for access to the bilge aft of my engine but I have to say that I've never had a need to open it other than to let light in when prone over the engine working in there. But a good work light will go a long way toward avoiding having to make that door though. My bulkhead only extends aft as far as the cockpit seat hatch and it goes forward to an intersecting bulkhead that makes up the aft galley bulkhead. Nothing gets past the aft end because all the contents tend to concentrate in the lowest part so gravity keeps it all in place. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

TRMN8R

Member II
I've got the split model (wheel) and my lazerette is pretty much stock and to the description of the previous poster. BTW, I, too, like the room that it affords for fenders, extra lines, and a 5 inch round tube that I made to house 3 mini propane canisters for my stern rail mounted grille. I'm just very very careful that I don't drop anything too small down there, since it's unlikely that I'll ever see it again. If you still want pics let me know, although I don't plan to be down to the marina until Friday this week. Glad to help if you still need.

DevinWalker

Inactive Member
I'm thinking about putting a hinged shelf in there. I no longer have the Atomic inboard and will probably pull the tank as well. We'll see. The depth is great for the bulky items like fenders.

On a separate note -- does your manual bilge pump look like this? The PO disconnected it ... and I really don't like not having a back up. Anyone know what kind it is?

Attachments

• bilge-pump-1.jpg
    bilge-pump-1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 64
  • bilge-pump-2.jpg
    bilge-pump-2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 61

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Whale Gusher 10

The location looks about the same but the pump is different. I have a Whale Gusher 10 that looks like this. Rebuilt it with the rebuild kit for $50. bucks a couple years ago. Great pump.

Attachments

• Gusher10.jpg
    Gusher10.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 280
Last edited: